Jaguar F-Type differential failures - Input needed.

Anything F-Type related......
Deleted User 2483

Post by Deleted User 2483 »

Tel wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:23 pm Got it Steve thanks for the report back... Surely the new diff comes with the new motor attached as its part of the unit?

If the motor fails the e diff not available pops up, as it does if you go over temp.

The plot thickens...
I did not know it was part of the diff. No dash lights saying failure.

scm

Post by scm »

The front offside (right) seal on mine is weeping - booked in for attention at the beginning of April.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
badger

Post by badger »

do jaguar state on the online service record if the oil was changed at 48 months? my service sheet has all the other consumables listed ie filters X3 and oil but no mention of diff oil, dealer just says if it was a service item on the sheet ' it would have been done' anyone else had this service and have it on record?
2015 polaris white s.
panoramic roof, black design pack, climate pack, parking pack ,heated performance seats, red belts, flat bottom steering wheel, 20'' tornado wheels, powered tailgate, black badges. (now sold)
Freebee2

Post by Freebee2 »

I took my 2015 V6S with 7150 miles to my ( at the time) main dealer just prior to the warranty expiry date re a leaking diff.
It was confirmed and they offered to fit a new seal while we waited. Always a bad sign when dealers hold an item in stock.
90 minutes later the car was returned.
5 miles later, we were accompanied by a grinding sound from the rear of the car, so about turn and back to the dealer.
Confirmed, diff replacement required. None held in stock, diffs delivered from Germany and they would need the car for 3 days.
On collection 3 days later, all they could say was that the oil was very black when the diff was drained.
I have just checked the 4 year service (a different main dealer)and as per badger, diff oil change ticked as done but no charge for diff oil.
Regards
Keith
Rogerhcd

Post by Rogerhcd »

I have a 2015MY V6S mine started dripping recently at about 26k. I have had it looked at by a local Independent who has dealt with a fair number of these. In his experience once the pinion seal starts leaking the pinion shaft bearings are damaged very soon as the oil level drops. Hence even if the seal is replaced the bearings will often fail within the next few months. He is negotiating with RAC (Who I have a 2 year warranty with) to replace the diff rather than simply the oil seal as he feels it will be inevitable (he thinks he can hear bearing noise even at this early stage).
2014 F Type Coupe 3.0 V6S in Sapphire Blue
1977 Laverda 3CL in Mint Green
2009 MCR S2 "Sports 2000" sports prototype
Arne

Post by Arne »

Just been in contact with the technican at my dealer, and got a confirmation that the diff oil was replaced when the seal was replaced.
Also agreed that he will change the diff oil at every yearly service ahead. Cost is low, so just as a precaution.
F-type R Coupe IRR 2015 - rwd V8
gkeevash

Post by gkeevash »

Had my diff replaced back in December under warranty, kept getting anoice at between 10 and 15 mph when turning right. Took it to one dealer who suggested I was hearing things and that it was my imagination. Took the car to another dealer and the put chassis ears on it, little microphones along the chassis and identified that there was a fault with the diff and so replaced it

I now have another noise now even worse, which has been apparent sent the rear corroded cross members were replaced. at about 10 mph and on uneven ground as the vehicle rocks and chassis flexes the is a low frequency rubbing/grinding sound and its getting more apparent. It's going back to the dealer in April, the suspecnignis really noisy and sounds like either the damper and a bush either way it not right and is very frustrating to have to listen to, especially considering what these cars cost
Best Regards
Gazza
2018MY, F-Type 400 Sport Convertible RWD, Black
2010 XKR 5.0 Convertible
2006 XK 4.2
2001 Nissan Skyline R33 Twin Turbo
1996 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo
Tel

Post by Tel »

Here's a snapshot from my real car dashboard.
Shows how warm the rear diffs get under normal driving conditions.

Screenshot_20200324_162357_org.prowl.torque.jpg

2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
captainham

Post by captainham »

Just checked my 4th service and it had "N/A" against the diff oil change. So I've double-checked the official service schedule for my V6S from Topix and there's no mention of a diff oil change anywhere...where are you guys seeing that it is officially required in the 4th service?

Attached the results from Topix for info but needless to say, I'll be asking for an oil change at the 5th year service...

4th service.jpg

F-Type V6S IRR Coupe MY2016 AT
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

This is the official Jaguar service schedule (64,000 miles - 48 months) for my 2016 RWD Coupe V6 S.

‘Renew rear locking differential oil (if fitted)’ is the 5th item down.

'Locking differential' applies to the mechanical limited slip diff which is fitted on the V6 S.
64000 miles - 48 months service.docx
(28.87 KiB) Downloaded 182 times
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies