Jaguar F-Type differential failures - Input needed.

Anything F-Type related......
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Tel wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:12 pm The conventional diff found on the V6 340 PS F-Type is fine.

It appears from what I'm seeing on the US and UK forums, that the electronic diffs (eDiff) found on the 360PS and V8 models that have an electronic motor to control the amount of 'silp' via a set of clutch plates suffer.

So far it seems that contamination from the plates is spoiling the oil a lot earlier than JLR had initially envisaged going on their maintenance routine.

As the V6 S has a mechanical limited slip differential, is this also described as an eDiff i.e. electrically actuated mechanical limited slip differential?

I query this because the F-Type brochure (see photo) shows separate details for the mechanical limited slip diff which is on the F-Type S, and the electronic active diff which is on the F-Type V8 S and F-Type R.

It says the electronic active diff uses an electric motor acting on a multiplate clutch to manage the delivery of torque to each of the rear wheels. It doesn't say anything about an electric motor acting on a multiplate clutch on the mechanical LSD on the F-Type S?

In this case, from what you have seen on the US and UK forums about the electronic diff failures (which seems to be caused by oil contamination from the eDiff multiplate clutch), does this also apply to the mechanical limited slip diff which is on the F-Type V6 S 380PS?

I'm aware there’s a V6 340PS and 380PS but not heard of a 360PS?

DSCN5832.JPG

2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid

RPSN

Post by RPSN »

scm wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:07 pm No, that was an error, should have been 380PS. I've corrected my original post.

Thought so........ok cheers
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
Tel

Post by Tel »

Beware of what's written....

I have at least two copoes of every piece of literature that has ever been produced relatting to the F Type as I collect paraphernalia as well.

One thing I did pick up on, was how inaccurate and misleading the printed word is applied to many points of the car.

What I will say is this...with the data so far, I would personally be inclined to change the oil on all differentials that use multi clutch oil Additives... i.e Castrol BOT types, as it seems to be getting as thick as syrup a lot earlier than JLR anticipated.

I'm logging the temperature of my diff as well as a sample will be sent off for analysis as soon as circumstances permit.
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Tel wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:33 am Beware of what's written....

I have at least two copoes of every piece of literature that has ever been produced relatting to the F Type as I collect paraphernalia as well.

One thing I did pick up on, was how inaccurate and misleading the printed word is applied to many points of the car.

What I will say is this...with the data so far, I would personally be inclined to change the oil on all differentials that use multi clutch oil Additives... i.e Castrol BOT types, as it seems to be getting as thick as syrup a lot earlier than JLR anticipated.

I'm logging the temperature of my diff as well as a sample will be sent off for analysis as soon as circumstances permit.

I would have thought that the information Jaguar provided on their F-Type brochure (see previous photo) regarding differentials is correct. It does seem to accurately explain the differences between the mechanical limited slip differential on the F-Type S and the electronic active differential on the F-Type V8 S and F-Type R.

I wanted to clarify why you say there is an ‘eDiff’’ on the V6 S 380PS as it has a mechanical LSD. This is different to the F-Type V8 S and F-Type R.

After you highlighting the fact that many differentials have failed on the F-Type, which is probably due to oil contamination, I will be renewing the diff oil (Castrol BOT 720) every 25,000 miles or 48 months - whichever occurs first..........Would you say this is adequate?

If so, I will use this to replace Jaguar’s own service recommendation of 64,000 miles or 48 months - whichever occurs first.

Thanks for making us aware of this.
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
Roger T

Post by Roger T »

Following detecting a slight knocking when travelling slowly as the drive takes up / drops off, I asked the dealer, who told me after the service it was a feature of the car (3.0l V6). This year I asked them to change the oil in the diff (60,000) and the knock has gone, but it cost me £140 for 0.5 hr labour, oil, etc.
scm

Post by scm »

I'd take it back and demand a refund as they've removed one of the car's features ....
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Roger T wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:48 pm Following detecting a slight knocking when travelling slowly as the drive takes up / drops off, I asked the dealer, who told me after the service it was a feature of the car (3.0l V6). This year I asked them to change the oil in the diff (60,000) and the knock has gone, but it cost me £140 for 0.5 hr labour, oil, etc.

Great that the ‘knock’ on your car has disappeared after having the diff oil renewed.

I can get this job done at half the price you paid at a good independent garage. That includes labour charge and I would supply the oil.

Going forward, it could be a good idea to have your diff oil changed more frequently than 60,000 miles.
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
Tel

Post by Tel »

I've been looking through the list of options, but can't find an optional knocking feature 😉
2016MY V8R IRR
Billet OBD lock
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
01286p

Post by 01286p »

I checked the jaguar Service schedule for 64000 miles / 4 years for my Model Year 2017 V6S having input my Vin and there is NO mention of oil change to the differential via the site as recommended by RPSN
Perhaps it is only for some cars. My Vin ends in K44744
I am surprised that the fill and drain plugs have to be renewed, surely the should only need a copper/ plastic compression washer.
Tel

Post by Tel »

01286p wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:25 pm I am surprised that the fill and drain plugs have to be renewed, surely the should only need a copper/ plastic compression washer.
It's absolute nonsense.

Same goes for the sump plug on the engine.

A 'tuppence happeny' O-ring or washer as you quite rightly said, but I've used the same copper washers on other cars for donkeys' years.
Last edited by Tel on Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2016MY V8R IRR
Billet OBD lock
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩