Jaguar F-Type differential failures - Input needed.

Anything F-Type related......
Tel

Post by Tel »

Worryingly there seems to be more and more cases of diff and E-diff failures on the F's.

There have been oil leaks documented by quite a few, (caused by the pinion gear seal failing) but worryingly it appears that more and more cars are losing their diffs. This is evident by strange noises from the rear, at anywhere from 25 ~50k miles.

I'm in the process of collating info (as I did quite a few years ago regarding underbody brace corrosion that got accepted by Jag UK as a build issue) and need help from everyone that has experienced this issue.

I'm yet to find any explanations from dealers regarding why the diffs fail, after all they just swap out the whole unit as opposed to diagnose and fix them, but I'd put money on it being oil contamination, and early break down of the lubricating properties perhaps?

So anyone that's had issues, I'd be glad to hear from you, as I would any diagnosis of why failure occurred.
Be good to know which diff/car model and mileage covered too.

TIA

REMEMBER, COLLECTIVELY WE CAN HAVE ISSUES ADDRESSED, AS WITH THE BULLETINS FOR CORROSION ISSUES, SO I NEED YOUR INPUT PLEASE!

This is also posted on our sister forum in the US for their input.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-ty ... es-229908/
Last edited by Tel on Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩

Jaguandy

Post by Jaguandy »

I had an e-diff replaced on an XFR due to whining at about 40,000 miles. Weeping seal changed on the f-type at 25,000 miles. Both covered by extended warranties.
F-Type R Coupe Firenze (Italian Racing Red) AWD MY16
GARETH

Post by GARETH »

Recently had a thumping differential. Cured by oil change. The oil that came out was nasty. Only 34k miles in 5 years.

The car is fine now. It was not expensive oil, and easy to do so I plan to change diff oil with engine oil service from now on. I think the limited slip diff has to work hard on rear wheel drive vehicles, so may explain early oil contamination from internal clutch plates?
2014 Jaguar F-Type 3.0 S Coupe in Salsa red
2021 Land Rover Defender 110 X-Dynamic HSE
1968 Land Rover Series 2a 88”
1966 Land Rover Series 2a 109” ex army.
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

The rear diff oil should be changed at 64,000 miles or 48 months - whichever occurs first. It is part of 4th service schedule if you go to main dealer.

Parking oil leaks from seals (mine is OK), the follow on question to this topic is:- Who has kept to the rear diff oil change regime but still had an issue?
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black, pano roof and thats about it 8-)
Arne

Post by Arne »

My diff seal got a minor leak 1.5 years ago (4 years old, 18.000km). Seal was replaced and the diff got new oil. No problems after that.
F-type R Coupe IRR 2015 - rwd V8
01286p

Post by 01286p »

My 2016 V6s developed a grinding noise at about 18,000 miles from the rear passenger quarter at low speed when turning. Took it to the Dealer who initially pooh - pooed it following an inspection and drive by the Service Department. I insisted the Service manager came for a drive with me...result after 30 seconds It was agreed that there was a problem. They kept the car for a week to check and then advised that the oil level was down, it was topped it up and not heard the noise since .
I did insist that the problem was registered with Jaguar so that in the event of Diff failure there would be less argument over it being replaced.
NAC63

Post by NAC63 »

This oil don't look good after only 40k
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-ty ... es-229930/
2014 V8S Convertible in black all the extras plus lots of carbon bits.
H&R lowering springs
Eibach 15mm wheel spacers
GARETH

Post by GARETH »

That Motul oil is the one I used. Available from Opie oils.
2014 Jaguar F-Type 3.0 S Coupe in Salsa red
2021 Land Rover Defender 110 X-Dynamic HSE
1968 Land Rover Series 2a 88”
1966 Land Rover Series 2a 109” ex army.
Jaguar63

Post by Jaguar63 »

Hi Frank here, my16 s coupe ,storm grey,brogue interior ivory stitching performance seats. I just had the pinion gear seal replaced on my jag, 33,700 miles, it leaked onto the exhaust muffler. I had it up on a lift and saw the differential oil on differential and muffler. Repaired under warranty. I had them clean both so that any future leaks could be seen.
Frank Hudson Valley NY USA
Frank
MY16 S coupe RWD storm grey with brogue interior ivory stitching performance panoramic roof
Hudson Valley NY
JurassicF

Post by JurassicF »

Diff seals replaced on a MY16 V6S at approximately 16,000 miles and 2 years old, due to drops being seen on garage floor the day after purchase and the wonderful 165 point check.
Unfortunately (or fortunately) due to incorrect work processes the diff was immediately diagnosed as damaged through seal replacement and new diff ordered and fitted under warranty.
F-Type V6S convertible MY16
Glacier Pearlescent White
Red soft top
Red electric and heated sports seats
Black dash and door cards
Red belts
Flat bottom heated wheel

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post