Jaguar F-Type differential failures - Input needed.

Anything F-Type related......
captainham

Post by captainham »

RPSN wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:46 am ‘Renew rear locking differential oil (if fitted)’ is the 5th item down.
Thanks for that. Bizarre that mine is different. Unfortunately I'm nowhere near that dealer now so it's unlikely I'll be getting it serviced there next time and so can't shout at them...

But given the lack of miles it'll be doing this year courtesy of lockdown, it should survive until I can pay for it to be done at next service!
F-Type V6S IRR Coupe MY2016 AT

RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Although the Jaguar service schedule states 64,000 miles or 48 months (whichever comes first), I will be having the rear diff oil changed every 25,000 miles or 48 months (whichever comes first) instead.

At the moment, I’m only doing around 6,000 miles per year so it doesn’t make much difference to me.

The reason for renewing the diff oil more frequently is to help ensure the diff doesn’t break down, as this forum suggests that many F-Types suffer with differential failures due to oil contamination etc.

Try using the link below to see if your Jaguar service schedule includes the diff oil change.

Input your vehicle identification number (VIN), click on 'servicing information' then 'service type' dropdown arrow and select 64,000 miles / 48 months service.

https://osh.jaguar.com/
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid
captainham

Post by captainham »

RPSN wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:06 amTry using the link below to see if your Jaguar service schedule includes the diff oil change.
That's the site I used originally, a few years back, and it wasn't listed then; that's where my earlier attachment came from, in fact.

But now when I check, it's been updated to say it needs diff oil changing. Marvellous.

Ah well, I guess it shouldn't cost too much so will just pay for it as an extra at next service.
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

captainham wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:48 pm Ah well, I guess it shouldn't cost too much so will just pay for it as an extra at next service.
Not an expensive job at all in a good independent garage. When mine needs to be done, I will be supplying the diff oil (Castrol BOT 720 75W-90).

Well worth getting it changed regularly for peace of mind!
Last edited by RPSN on Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
scz4

Post by scz4 »

How much does a dealer charge for a V6S (LSD) diff oil change?
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Not sure about a Jaguar main dealer.......probably best to give them a ring to find out?

When I recently had the pinion seal and diff oil changed by my Jaguar main dealer this was at no cost to myself.
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
scz4

Post by scz4 »

Will do one they're operational again.

My car is due its 84 month service in June, but diff oil isn't scheduled to be changed until 96 months. Not sure if it's been done since new, so for peace of mind thought I'd get it done.
captainham

Post by captainham »

RPSN wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:45 pm
captainham wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:48 pm Ah well, I guess it shouldn't cost too much so will just pay for it as an extra at next service.
Not an expensive job at all in a good independent garage. When mine needs to be done, I will be supplying the diff oil (Castrol BOT 720 75W-90).

Well worth getting it changed regularly for peace of mind!
Do you know how much oil it takes?
badger

Post by badger »

scz4 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:48 pm Will do one they're operational again.

My car is due its 84 month service in June, but diff oil isn't scheduled to be changed until 96 months. Not sure if it's been done since new, so for peace of mind thought I'd get it done.
it should have been done on the 48 month service. just had mine done on the 60 month because it wasn't done by previous owner.
2015 polaris white s.
panoramic roof, black design pack, climate pack, parking pack ,heated performance seats, red belts, flat bottom steering wheel, 20'' tornado wheels, powered tailgate, black badges. (now sold)
Fez

Post by Fez »

Costs: Evening All, My 400 sport AWD has gone in for its second service today and whilst there I enquired about changing Diff Oil due to the discussions on failures. The good news, is the dealer had not had to replace any however would check the seals for any sign of leaks. The quote to change the oil for the two diffs and the tranfer box came to £427.37 inc vat. That is broken down:
Front: drain plug £2.76, filler plug £2.29, oil £32.53 labour £76.80
Rear: drain plug £2.29, filler plug £14.34, oil £32.53 labour £38.40
Tranfer box: plug £7.04 Oil £120.98 labour £96.00

As the car is still under warranty the dealer advised not to worry as if it goes wrong in the next year Jaguar will cover the costs to repair. Once out of warranty will consider making a routine every three years due to low mileage use.
Black AWD 400, sport
MY 18.5
Pan Roof
Heated front screen
Front parking sensors
Full spare

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post