Jaguar F-Type differential failures - Input needed.

Anything F-Type related......
badger

Post by badger »

Tel wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:05 pm
01286p wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:39 pm The 144,000 mile / 9 years came from the Service Schedule for my 3.0l V6S Coupe.
I input my VIN SAJAC61B9H8K44744 and waded through every Service Schedule and the "change diff oil" only came up, much to my amazement, at 144,000 miles / 9th year.
By that time I will be some 80 years of age - so will not worry too much.
I will be having it done anyway this year at its fourth service regardless and an analysis of the oil.
I too checked my 3 year Service Plan and there is no mention of the Oil change.
Which would be a reasonable schedule IF you have a conventional differential and NOT a NON LOCKING LIMITED SLIP or E DIFF.

FWIW - During my 64K service for which I paid for a 5 year service plan, my dealer, that I trust implicitly, managed to miss changing the diff oil !!!!
my car required a diff oil change at 4yrs again missed by the main dealer, having it done on the 5 yr service
2015 polaris white s.
panoramic roof, black design pack, climate pack, parking pack ,heated performance seats, red belts, flat bottom steering wheel, 20'' tornado wheels, powered tailgate, black badges. (now sold)

RPSN

Post by RPSN »

01286p wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:04 pm There is/are no leaks so far.
The grinding noise on a sharp turn, say junction, started at 18,000 miles...after some insistence with the Service Manager at Hatfields of Shrewsbury, the car diff was found to be short of oil. Once filled to correct level noise disappeared. I insisted that the problem be registered with Jaguar as the 3-year guarantee was ending soon. The car has now done nearly 29,000 miles and no sign of a leak.
I am still amazed that the service interval on this item is at 144,000 miles

Good that there are no leaks.

I hope the grinding noise that you were hearing (due to shortage of oil) hasn’t caused any damage to the diff? As you’ve registered the problem with Jaguar within the 3 year manufacturer warranty period, you may have something to fall back on in the future if need be.

At least now, you know to have the diff oil changed more frequently than the 144,000 miles / 108 months as specified on your service schedule.
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

In case of any confusion, the Jaguar F-Type V6 S service schedule shows “Renew rear locking differential oil (if fitted).” This applies to the mechanical limited slip diff on the V6 S.

The limited slip diff allows the wheels to continue to turn at different speeds without locking to each other completely but can limit the amount of torque sent to the spinning wheel and maximize the torque sent to the wheel with the best traction.

Here’s a good article which compares various types of differentials.

https://itstillruns.com/limited-slip-di ... 33877.html
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
01286p

Post by 01286p »

At the risk of pursuing this discussion to death.
I checked the " New Jaguar Service Plan " by inputting my Car registration and was very pleased to read that on this site the 64000 miles / 4th year Service does include the Rear Differential Plug, from which one might infer that the Differential Oil will be changed but it is not stated whereas engine oil is stated.
When normality returns and my local JLR Service Centre reopens I will enquire.
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

01286p wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:20 pm At the risk of pursuing this discussion to death.
I checked the " New Jaguar Service Plan " by inputting my Car registration and was very pleased to read that on this site the 64000 miles / 4th year Service does include the Rear Differential Plug, from which one might infer that the Differential Oil will be changed but it is not stated whereas engine oil is stated.
When normality returns and my local JLR Service Centre reopens I will enquire.

As the saying goes........”seek and ye shall find.”

That’s the 2nd miracle you have performed in a matter of days!
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
scz4

Post by scz4 »

Is this the right oil? Seems to be according to Opie oils website. I have a brand new one from my last car which had a LSD. Hopefully 1L is enough.

20200405_190501.jpg

RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Not sure which F-Type model you have but the correct differential oil for my V6 S is Castrol BOT 720 and I can get this from my Jaguar main dealer.

Alternatively, I would order the oil from opieoils.co.uk and their website shows it to be Motul GEAR 300 LS 75W-90 Fully Synthetic Car Limited Slip Differential Oil (LSD). See link below.

1 litre is more than enough (see diff oil capacities, earlier in this topic)

https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-68953-motu ... Gear%20Oil
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
Michaelw

Post by Michaelw »

I’m looking for some advice regarding the F Type Diff

I have a 2016 AWD S

As I understand it I have a Rear Diff + a Transfer Box to send the power to the Front Diff.
Is the Rear Diff on the AWD the same as the RWD car? and are the AWD cars having the same problem?

I have had the car 18 months and had the 4th service done in January 2020 at 20k miles, looking at the online service history I don’t think the Diff oil has ever been changed, it certainly wasn’t at the January 2020 Service.

Looking at the online service schedule for the AWD I cannot see when Jaguar recommends the oil to be replaced.
I don’t have any problems at the moment but was thinking it may be a good idea to replace the oil in all 3 boxes at the next service as a precautionary measure.
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

I have AWD and the online service information says:

Renew transfer box oil - 48000 miles or 3 years.
Renew rear locking differential oil - 64000 miles or 4 years.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black
Michaelw

Post by Michaelw »

simpleR wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:01 am I have AWD and the online service information says:

Renew transfer box oil - 48000 miles or 3 years.
Renew rear locking differential oil - 64000 miles or 4 years.
I can see it now, my dealer never mentioned replacing the diff oil when I booked it in for the service and it's not on the bill so wasn't done. I would have thought they would have done it automatically if it's on the service schedule. I will make sure the oil is changed in all the boxes at the next service.

Does anybody know a good independant in the Colchester Essex area if so I will get it done now?

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post