Anyone gone from an S2000 to Z4M to F-Type?

Anything F-Type related......
Poodlehat

Post by Poodlehat »

Hi,
First time poster here. I've had a search through previous post and couldn't see an answer to my question.
So, has anyone gone from S2000 to Z4M to F-Type?
Did you go V6S or V8?
I currently own the Z4M and am looking for something new. I getting older and need something slightly more sophisticated......the Z4M feels a little too ASBO.

Thanks in advance

Gary
F-Type R, MY14, Stratus Grey
Previous
Z4M
S2000

nurgle

Post by nurgle »

I'm getting a bit older too.....20's XK8s, 30's XKRs, early 40's F type......... :)
scz4

Post by scz4 »

This thread was made just for me :)

So I went from a S2000 to Z4M, then back into the same S2000 after I begged the buyer to sell it back to me a few years later, I just never gelled with the Z4M despite modifying it, but that's for another day....

Moving on, I hired a V8 AWD for 24 hours and did over 500 miles in it which I absolutely loved. The sound, wow! However, it did feel heavy and not very agile and quite honestly it was too fast to enjoy flooring it for more than a few seconds especially on the twisty back roads here in NE Scotland.

I deliberately went looking for a V6S as the sweet point and it definitely feels a lot more lively and the pace certainly isn't lacking. I also much prefer the look of the centre exhausts. The sounds is very different, perhaps I have tiny bit of V8 envy, but the noise isn't purely dominated by the exhaust, more engine\induction noise in the V6S, something which I've also seen mentioned in some reviews. I deliberately wanted an earlier car for the hydraulic steering rather than electric that I tested in the V8 as it was a little numb.

I only bought mine in Feb and the first thing I did was fit 4 new Michelin PS4's, but even with those on, the car still moves around under acceleration and reminds me of the Z4M a little.

Regardless of which model you go for, in terms of sheer excitement, sense of occasion and of course the looks, it beats the Z4M hands down. The Z4M always felt a bit flawed, but the F-Type is exactly what I thought and hoped it would be. Long term reliability (niggles) and mpg are my only two concerns with it. Just can't wait for the lockdown to be over to get some road trips on the go.

p.s. I've had 25+ cars now at 40 and the S2000 eclipses all of them, although hoping the F-Type will be right up there once I get some more miles in it. Certainly the most beautiful car I've owned.
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Have to say it's the first time I remember seeing anyone mention the steering.
I too have an earlier car with hydraulic steering and find it really nice, in terms of weight, linearity and feedback.
I came from an XE R-Sport 200 with electric steering and although that was a very good car to punt around in I certainly notice the connection more now.
I recently removed the engine cover to see if I prefer it with a little more supercharger whine, but the jury's out on that until it can be driven a bit more.
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
scz4

Post by scz4 »

Lunar wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:42 am Have to say it's the first time I remember seeing anyone mention the steering.
I too have an earlier car with hydraulic steering and find it really nice, in terms of weight, linearity and feedback.
I came from an XE R-Sport 200 with electric steering and although that was a very good car to punt around in I certainly notice the connection more now.
I recently removed the engine cover to see if I prefer it with a little more supercharger whine, but the jury's out on that until it can be driven a bit more.
It was something which I immediately noticed and very refreshing coming from an electric setup in my E89 Z4. As you say, it's a nice ratio, lots of feel and perfectly weighted.

I removed the cover and you can hear some more noise, but engine also sounds a little more "tappety" on start-up which I didn't like. I also worried a little about rain water getting into some of the electrical connections on the engine. Car lives in the garage, but obviously sometimes get caught short or if it's raining when parked up at work.
Tcochrane92

Post by Tcochrane92 »

I went from a z4m to an f type r coupe.

Loved the z4m, can't comment much on the f type yet due to lockdown (barely driven it!)
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Z4 3.0s to the F Type V6S
Much more mature car, better performance, better build than the Z4. Heavier but the 380hp in the S is way more productive than the 240hp in the Z4 (sure the ///M had a few more hp but it wasn't muck quicker on real world roads than the 3.0

Noise of the V6 is intoxicating, especially the earlier models and those with active exhaust to play with
IMHO the V6 is still a sports car but V8 a GT. Much heavier and brutal in a straight line, but too thirsty. Between to 2.0 and 5.0 the 3.0 is the sweetspot of the range (but of course that's the traditional argument like 2.0, 2.2, 2.5, 3.0 or ///M on the Z4)

Would def go for the S badge to get the extra bhp and other toys such as LSD and personally never looked back since the day I purchased it
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
Tcochrane92

Post by Tcochrane92 »

cj10jeeper wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:03 pm Z4 3.0s to the F Type V6S
Much more mature car, better performance, better build than the Z4. Heavier but the 380hp in the S is way more productive than the 240hp in the Z4 (sure the ///M had a few more hp but it wasn't muck quicker on real world roads than the 3.0

Noise of the V6 is intoxicating, especially the earlier models and those with active exhaust to play with
IMHO the V6 is still a sports car but V8 a GT. Much heavier and brutal in a straight line, but too thirsty. Between to 2.0 and 5.0 the 3.0 is the sweetspot of the range (but of course that's the traditional argument like 2.0, 2.2, 2.5, 3.0 or ///M on the Z4)

Would def go for the S badge to get the extra bhp and other toys such as LSD and personally never looked back since the day I purchased it
I knew I recognized your name from somewhere, the z4 forum! I remember you left a few years ago after getting a V6 F Type and I was very jealous haha
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Tcochrane92 wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:11 pm
cj10jeeper wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:03 pm Z4 3.0s to the F Type V6S

I knew I recognized your name from somewhere, the z4 forum! I remember you left a few years ago after getting a V6 F Type and I was very jealous haha
Yes - that's me - small world :)
I used to return to the nationals for a run each Summer to meet old Z4 friends and annoy them with the V6 sound in the mountains
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
Elementad

Post by Elementad »

I went from S2000 to 370z to FType v6S to FType V8 R(awd).

Z4m performance v similar to 370z. V6S is the nice ‘sophisticated’ step up you describe I’d say. As would be a V8. Then you’ll be going from 4 cylinders to your current 6 to 8.
F Type R AWD coupe
(Previous car) F Type V6S convertible

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post