Quickest way to get from 0-60 mph in the F-Type.

Anything F-Type related......
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

I took my car to the supermarket yesterday and there were some very quiet roads along the way so decided to give it a good blast (national speed limit applied).

I switched into dynamic mode and instead of using the gear shift paddles I floored the throttle and let the 8 speed automatic gearbox kick-down and do what it’s designed to do......this was also very impressive!

Just wondering what other F-type owners think about getting the quickest 0-60 mph acceleration i.e. use the gear shift paddles or not?

TIA
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid

scm

Post by scm »

I think the auto box is pretty much optimal for rapid progress, once the back wheels get a grip!
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

Have you tried using the launch control?

Put it in dynamic mode, left foot on the brake, increase throttle until ‘launch mode active’ message in display then release the brake and floor the throttle.

Haven’t tried it on mine, just read it somewhere!
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

scm wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:49 am I think the auto box is pretty much optimal for rapid progress, once the back wheels get a grip!
Ok thanks.

The wheels gripped fine as I was doing about 20 mph before I decided to floor it........I'm using Michelin PS4S.
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

GusA wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:50 am Have you tried using the launch control?

Put it in dynamic mode, left foot on the brake, increase throttle until ‘launch mode active’ message in display then release the brake and floor the throttle.

Haven’t tried it on mine, just read it somewhere!

Yes, I’ve tried using ‘dynamic launch’ before but it’s a fiddly process.

Apparently, once you’ve launched the car it’s in normal dynamic mode anyway and by doing so puts extra strain on the transmission.

See my previous topic.........F-Type driving modes: ‘Dynamic’ and ‘Dynamic Launch’

viewtopic.php?t=4123&p=39965
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
Elementad

Post by Elementad »

If you’re wanting the quickest progress in automatic mode I imagine you’ll need to knock the gear lever left into sport mode and ALSO select Dynamic Mode. So that you are in Dynamic Mode and Sport gearbox mode.

Holds the gears longer and revs up to the best point for auto gear change.
F Type R AWD coupe
(Previous car) F Type V6S convertible
dbv6s

Post by dbv6s »

quickest way from 0-60 is using Dynamic Launch (if you have it) - According to Jaguar, Dynamic launch reduces the 0-60 time by 0.3 seconds

Otherwise:
Dynmic mode
'S' on the gearbox
DSC in track
hit the kickdown button and don't touch the paddles

More info on Dynamic Launch / Launch control here;
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3547&hilit=dynamic+launch

Jaguar description of dynamic launch:

Dynamic Launch enhances vehicle acceleration and automatic gear changes. The system uses driver brake and throttle inputs to detect a ‘launch’ situation and adjusts gear shifts accordingly.

During normal automatic gear changes, the engine’s power and torque are reduced slightly to match the engine speed to the transmission speed, which delivers a very refined shift.

In Dynamic Launch the engine’s torque is not lowered during the gear change. This delivers maximum through-gear vehicle acceleration, through 1st and
2nd and then through 3rd and 4th gear changes. This allows the car to accelerate more quickly than when in ‘conventional’ Sport Mode.

Because the torque is not lowered during the process, the driver also feels a slight ‘boost’ in acceleration as the transmission and engine speeds are matched, trading refinement for ‘sportiness’.
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Elementad wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:14 pm If you’re wanting the quickest progress in automatic mode I imagine you’ll need to knock the gear lever left into sport mode and ALSO select Dynamic Mode. So that you are in Dynamic Mode and Sport gearbox mode.

Thanks.

Very rarely have I selected sport mode (gear lever to the left) and dynamic mode together, but I’ll give it a go to see if there’s any difference in acceleration?

Even though I was in dynamic mode (without selecting sport mode) when I floored it yesterday, the gears were holding up to approx 6000 rpm before they automatically changed. This felt just about right so I’m wondering how sport mode could improve on this?

The car red lines at just over 6500 rpm up to 8000 rpm.
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

Elementad wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:14 pm If you’re wanting the quickest progress in automatic mode I imagine you’ll need to knock the gear lever left into sport mode and ALSO select Dynamic Mode. So that you are in Dynamic Mode and Sport gearbox mode.

I might be wrong but I thought in sport mode the gear changes had to be done with the paddles?

Auto changes down in sport mode when revs get too low but not up.

Again, not tried it as still running in, and the lockdown isn’t helping!
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

dbv6s wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:43 pm quickest way from 0-60 is using Dynamic Launch (if you have it) - According to Jaguar, Dynamic launch reduces the 0-60 time by 0.3 seconds

Otherwise:
Dynmic mode
'S' on the gearbox
DSC in track
hit the kickdown button and don't touch the paddles

More info on Dynamic Launch / Launch control here;
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3547&hilit=dynamic+launch

Jaguar description of dynamic launch:

Dynamic Launch enhances vehicle acceleration and automatic gear changes. The system uses driver brake and throttle inputs to detect a ‘launch’ situation and adjusts gear shifts accordingly.

During normal automatic gear changes, the engine’s power and torque are reduced slightly to match the engine speed to the transmission speed, which delivers a very refined shift.

In Dynamic Launch the engine’s torque is not lowered during the gear change. This delivers maximum through-gear vehicle acceleration, through 1st and
2nd and then through 3rd and 4th gear changes. This allows the car to accelerate more quickly than when in ‘conventional’ Sport Mode.

Because the torque is not lowered during the process, the driver also feels a slight ‘boost’ in acceleration as the transmission and engine speeds are matched, trading refinement for ‘sportiness’.

Thanks.

As ‘Dynamic Launch’ only reduces the 0-60 mph time by 0.3 seconds I don’t think I’ll be using that too often. It’s a fiddly process and apparently puts extra strain on the transmission.

I’ll be trying dynamic mode and sport mode together to see if there’s any difference in acceleration but as I haven’t done this for a while I can’t remember whether or not the gears change automatically when in sport mode.......something tells me they don’t and the gear shift paddles have to be used instead?
Last edited by RPSN on Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post