Quickest way to get from 0-60 mph in the F-Type.

Anything F-Type related......
Elementad

Post by Elementad »

GusA wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:00 pm
Elementad wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:14 pm If you’re wanting the quickest progress in automatic mode I imagine you’ll need to knock the gear lever left into sport mode and ALSO select Dynamic Mode. So that you are in Dynamic Mode and Sport gearbox mode.

Holds the gears longer and revs up to the best point for auto gear change.
I might be wrong but I thought in sport mode the gear changes had to be done with the paddles?

Auto changes down in sport mode when revs get too low but not up.

Again, not tried it as still running in, and the lockdown isn’t helping!
In sport mode the gears will automatically change up or down for you (up at the red line if you’re gunning it) UNLESS you’re in paddle mode which is a true manual mode. Ie if you’re in sport mode using paddles and hit the limiter then you will just kee bouncing off the limiter. Sport mode in auto mode is fully automatic.
You can drive around town in sport mode and it won’t wait for you to hit the limiter before it changes up a gear. It’s adaptive. Give it. A try.
Last edited by Elementad on Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
F Type R AWD coupe
(Previous car) F Type V6S convertible

dbv6s

Post by dbv6s »

if you select 'S' on the gearstick, auto box will change up and down for you
If you start playing with the paddles this puts the gear indicator into manual mode and will stop at the red line (you have to change manually)
scm

Post by scm »

The difference between S and D when using the paddles is that in D it automatically switches out of manual mode after about 10 seconds of not using the paddles - in S you have to manually switch back to auto by holding the right paddle for a few seconds.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
scm

Post by scm »

Elementad wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:17 pm You can drive around town in sport mode and it won’t wait for you to hit the limiter before it changes up a gear. It’s adaptive. Give it. A try.
It is indeed adaptive - even in D it'll hit the redline if you've got your foot on the floor. Selecting S gives the system a hint of how you expect it to behave, otherwise it'll work it out from your right foot.
Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

Ok, will give it a go when I get the chance in a few weeks hopefully
scm

Post by scm »

BTW, you can choose through the Vehicle Settings menu whether the paddles are active only in S or in both S and D.
Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

scm wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:34 pm BTW, you can choose through the Vehicle Settings menu whether the paddles are active only in S or in both S and D.
Yep, found that one! I have it active in both as I enjoy using the paddles - especially as I paid extra for Aluminium ones!
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

All good info.

So if you're either in dynamic mode, sport mode, or both, the gears change up or down automatically (unless your in paddle/manual mode).

As this is the case, what improvement does sport mode bring to acceleration? I ask this because when I'm in dynamic mode only, the revs still shoot up to approx 6000 rpm before automatically changing gear, which feels just about right.
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid
scm

Post by scm »

RPSN wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:57 pm So if you're either in dynamic mode, sport mode, or both, the gears change up or down automatically (unless your in paddle/manual mode).
Yep!
RPSN wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:57 pm As this is the case, what improvement does sport mode bring to acceleration? I ask this because when I'm in dynamic mode only, the revs still shoot up to approx 6000 rpm before automatically changing gear, which feels just about right.
I think S will just encourage the car's default behaviour instead of it reacting to what your right foot is doing. Even in non-dynamic D you can get up to the red line by flooring it.
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

So in other words, no real difference then?
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post