Exhaust Sound

Anything F-Type related......
PBV6

Post by PBV6 »

Afternoon,

I seem to have lost my depth of sound on my active exhaust when turned on. Down shifts and up shifts are fine, it still crackles and burbles but the depth of sound and general grunt seems to have disappeared.... anyone had any issues like this before?

Regards
Patrick
2018 Jaguar F Type R-Dynamic P340
Huddersfield, West Yorkshire

scm

Post by scm »

What's happened to the car recently that might explain the change? Just been serviced?
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Tel

Post by Tel »

Sounds like your loud flappy valves may be stuck slightly closed. They are a PITA to see on the V6.
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
Deleted User 1088

Post by Deleted User 1088 »

Hello easy to check

just a couple of vacuum lines controlled by an air solenoid valve .. spring return (cant remember which way round) the older models had a separate vacuum pump but this was removed on newer models that take the vacuum straight from the engine.
Also the software was changed on newer models that seem to have muted the pops and bangs when compared to 2013 -2016 models as my 17 plate does not sound as aggressive as others when compared at various car shows. The pops and bangs are all theater of course .. there is code in the ECU that manipulates the oxygen sensor readings with a little bit more fuel when you lift off the accelerator hence all the racket .. basically un burnt fuel going pop .. this was how it was explained to be on the Jaguar tour ... over the years the software has been updated so not so aggressive .. sometimes owners notice this after a service and a topix software campaign upgrade
But as said the flaps are easy to check for correct operation but easier with 2 people
regards
PBV6

Post by PBV6 »

It was serviced in Feb but no change back then, happened a few times on the last few drives, doesn't seem to be every time..... I can't seem to find any youtube videos on how to check the exhaust, any advice on how to do this would be great.
2018 Jaguar F Type R-Dynamic P340
Huddersfield, West Yorkshire
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

You don't need ramps - handy with the width of the rear tyres!

Position yourself at the rear of the car just inboard of the wheel and feel along the back of the exhaust with your hand - preferably not when it's hot!

You can feel the small yoghurt pot size vacuum canister and the actuating rod sticking out from it - 1 each side.

Gently push it in against the spring return pressure to check that it is operating correctly - you may feel it is not smooth or squeaks a little on return if it is in need of attention.

A spray of copper grease and a dozen actuations by hand to get it working smoothly again is what I used to ensure it is moving freely for some time.

Having said all that the best preventative maintenance is the Dynamic switch each time you drive :D
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
michaelc

Post by michaelc »

Hi Lunar, I am not at all sure my active exhaust is working and saw your post. I have located the 2 'yogurt pots' before the exhaust, which have what looks like a vacuum hose attachment coming out of them - that's all I can see. Do I need to disconnect these small hoses to get at the actuating rod? I didn't want to just pull these off. Thanks in advance. Michael
dbv6s

Post by dbv6s »

Hi Michael, no need to disconnect the lines, just spray the copper grease on the rod which is sticking out then by hand push the metal rod in/out a few times to work the grease in
michaelc

Post by michaelc »

IMG_2454.jpg

Thanks dbv6s, sorry to be a pain. Just had another look...is it the rod that comes out the back of the pot as per this photo?
michaelc

Post by michaelc »

Hi dbv6s, I've posted a picture in my other reply. I'm finding it hard to see what's to move and what isn't as nothing seems to move on either one of the active exhaust housings when I try to free it. I don't want to just spray the wrong thing. (amateur mechanic!) Is this the right place to spray the copper grease - i.e. at the back of the housing that is hard to see and get at?

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post