Air con smell

Anything F-Type related......
JamesOC

Post by JamesOC »

Sorry for this one, but wondered is this an F-Type specific issue or a more general air con one.

I’ve had the car 6 weeks now and only done a couple of hundred miles pottering or blasting the exhaust to blow away the cobwebs.

Did my first hour long drive today, back to work 😢 but grateful for clear roads and to be working I guess 👍 I do love the car, sound through the Hatfield tunnel was sublime 👍

I noticed after stopping say at lights and the engine has stop/started, the smell from the air vents is not good. First time I thought it was outside, then it happened a few more times and on the way back this afternoon. Before anyone asks I also checked it wasnt me 😂. It’s not a musty or mouldy like smell but more like Damp washing that hasn’t been aired properly.

Car is under a year old and I’ve had it 6 weeks, not sure how long it was on the forecour before I got it. Before I get one of those air con sanitisers I wondered if anyone else has experienced this And could offer any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
MY20 R AWD Coupe, Portofino Blue
Previous: 2011 XK

Fez

Post by Fez »

Hi, there are other threads on here reference your issue. Have you had the air con on and then parked up? The filter gets wet and then dries like a sponge by your sink. Then next time you use the car that smell comes through the vents. I use my air con but switch off a few miles before home to allow to dry out in air flow. Sure others will have their say. Phil
Black AWD 400, sport
MY 18.5
Pan Roof
Heated front screen
Front parking sensors
Full spare
apr1962

Post by apr1962 »

I had a 2014 V8S. I bought it and it had a wheaty smell, I never managed to cure it, so sold it after 12 months and bough5 a newer one. It was a real pain and driving the car wit( the roof up made me feel sick. The car was very clean and well cared for. The pollen filters were changed and the air cond cleaned on many occasions.
MY 2018 V8R AWD Convertible
Ammonite Grey / Black Leather
Modifications:
SVR Bonnet Vents
Flat Bottomed Steering Wheel
Jaguar Aluminium Paddles
JamesOC

Post by JamesOC »

Thank you.

Ok, wet filter sounds like the culprit and it was probably already like that so now air con is being used it’s damp and emitting the smell again.

Luckily its not all the time and seems to be just after the engine stops and starts, not when I first set off.

I’ll search a bit as well and post any solutions that I get to work.

Thanks
scm

Post by scm »

JamesOC wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 9:16 pm Luckily its not all the time and seems to be just after the engine stops and starts, not when I first set off.
There's your fix - turn stop/start off (you can't really be serious about fuel economy)! ;)
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Philskill

Post by Philskill »

You can buy aircon fresheners that kill the bacteria in the filters/pipes, it's a spray can that you click on permanently, leave in the foot well with your aircon on max on internal recycle so it gets pulled through all the pipes. Search for autoglym aircon sanitizer for example, which I have used to good effect.
MY19 Carpathian Grey R-Dynamic P300, Black pack in and out, 12 way Memory seats, Climate Pack, Park assist, Meridian Surround, switchable exhaust.
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

I had the damp smell coming from the air vents on another car I own and it was caused by a build-up of bacteria in the air-con and ventilation system.

I bought an air-con bomb which was used as Philskill describes above.........after doing this the damp smell never returned.

Another excellent product is ‘Normfest Viro Air Fresh Plus - A/C and Ventilation System Cleaner 300ml’. This is a spray which enters the ventilation system directly via the capillary tube and has a long-lasting destruction of bacteria.

https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/normfest ... NOR2897300
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid
Tel

Post by Tel »

Air bombs are good, however first port of call is always to;

Remove and run the AC flat out without any filter inline to establish of the issue is the filter.
This will help determine if it is indeed in the ducting behind the dash.

It is feasible that a foreign object/plant-seed/bug has got past the filter and is stuck in the evaporator fins and is either rotting/decomposing.

This smell would not go away until you cleaned the evaporator by hand and that's a PITA!
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Yes, the air-con bomb worked with very good effect on my other car.

The cabin/pollen filter was changed at the required service intervals and after further inspection of it (and also the housing behind), I could see this wasn’t an issue.

Whatever caused the build-up of bacteria in the air-con and ventilation system was totally eradicated after using the air-con bomb so there wasn’t any need to clean the evaporator etc by hand.

The evaporator uses refrigerant liquid to cool the area around it and during this process the liquid itself begins to heat up which is eventually converted to gas. Other impurities like dust and pollen are also removed.
Last edited by RPSN on Sun May 31, 2020 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid
JamesOC

Post by JamesOC »

scm wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 10:13 pm
JamesOC wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 9:16 pm Luckily its not all the time and seems to be just after the engine stops and starts, not when I first set off.
There's your fix - turn stop/start off (you can't really be serious about fuel economy)! ;)
Yes that’s what I do now 😂, just need to switch it off each time I drive as it defaults to on; I’m sure I’ll find how to set that if I try.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post