Poor DAB reception

Anything F-Type related......
darstellar

Post by darstellar »

Car seems to have awful reception on the DAB radio. Literally cutting out so often through town and under bridges and trees and all sorts. Anyone else had this problem? I live in West London and it seems to affect most stations!
V8 RWD Coupe
Wrapped in Satin Red.

scm

Post by scm »

darstellar wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:06 pm Car seems to have awful reception on the DAB radio. Literally cutting out so often through town and under bridges and trees and all sorts.
I think that's a characteristic of DAB, if the signal drops because of buildings or anything else that interrupts the signal, it'll mute. FM can be a bit problematic because of signal blockage but DAB is far worse because of the frequencies involved. Digital is either on or off, no weak signals allowed.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
scharlton

Post by scharlton »

I have this in my wifes Evoque (2017) and it's really annoying but my R (2014) seems not to suffer with it, maybe it's to old to have DAB!
2014 Coupe 5.0R RWD
White
Herts
Jaguandy

Post by Jaguandy »

I had this problem arrive on my old XFR after a while. Became a warranty replacement of a window that had an aerial in it. Might be worth getting an expert to check the aerial signal. I'm surprised you get DAB drop out in cities if all is OK, normally I'd expect it in more remote areas or near big transmitter masts like Membury on the M4
F-Type R Coupe Firenze (Italian Racing Red) AWD MY16
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

No problems on my F Type or Evoque, except some stations in rural areas as I dip below hills on reception limits

Have you tried it on different channels to see if it is one station you are losing or lots? That to me would indicate the difference between a station near to its limit dropping out and a problem with the DAB system, most likely aerial
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
devbrodie

Post by devbrodie »

Jaguandy wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:13 am Became a warranty replacement of a window that had an aerial in it.
I noticed the other day that the rear window of the Ftype has 2 lines at the top of the lines for the heating elements which are labelled as Antenna - see picture - https://imgur.com/Mcbzpq7

I have no idea if these are involved in the reception for DAB, but if they are and they get damaged (like the heating elements sometimes do), then that could explain the poor reception.
MY18 - F-Type 3L V6 R-dynamic AWD
Black Pack
Driver Pack
Winter Pack
Performance Seats
Meridian Surround Sound
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

darstellar wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:06 pm Car seems to have awful reception on the DAB radio. Literally cutting out so often through town and under bridges and trees and all sorts. Anyone else had this problem? I live in West London and it seems to affect most stations!

I'm not saying this will cure the problem but have you tried refreshing the DAB radio station list? To do this on my car I just touch whichever radio station is displayed on screen, then touch ‘Stations’ and finally ‘Refresh DAB station list’.

Here’s some information I’ve gathered from this ftypeforum which may help to resolve the poor DAB reception on your car (I’ve taken separate comments and put them in point form). I've also attached a copy of the Jaguar Service Action number K438 which was issued on 14/10/2016 and expired on 31/10/2018. This shows a software update that addresses issues including 'Loss of digital radio' (although this is applicable to MY 2016 - 2017 within VIN range K22922 - K36985).

1. I had this on mine and took it in for the software update. This did not cure the problem, after a few weeks the signal would be lost again. In the end I researched this forum and found a fix that has worked a treat for me. It’s been over a year and the fault has not returned. I disconnected the negative lead in the boot and left the car for an hour and reconnected. I had to reset window limits and a few other personal settings. Re scan for DAB channels and it has been all good ever since. The old IT fix of total shut down and reboot!!!

2. For the coupe, my manual says.......

Note: The DAB antenna is located in the Luggage compartment lid. Metallic items (e.g., laptops) placed on top of the luggage or in close proximity to the luggage compartment lid, may affect DAB reception.

I can also see the word 'Antenna' written on the top of the rear window (in the same colour as the heating elements).

3. I had an issue with my DAB radio earlier this week. It turned out a 4gwifi box that I had in the centre cubby hole was causing interference. I removed the box and DAB is now fine.

4. No issue with DAB on my 17 plate. I have had issues before with DAB on another car when rear windscreen heater was on. I recall a bad earth or something.

5. There are/is a software update for poor DAB reception.

6. Had problems with poor DAB reception and maintaining signal on MY14 until dealer did a software update. Now works fine.

viewtopic.php?t=422

viewtopic.php?t=2196

viewtopic.php?t=2503

viewtopic.php?t=1453#p13324
Jaguar Service Action Number K438.docx
(93.79 KiB) Downloaded 143 times
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid
darstellar

Post by darstellar »

RPSN wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:04 pm
darstellar wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:06 pm Car seems to have awful reception on the DAB radio. Literally cutting out so often through town and under bridges and trees and all sorts. Anyone else had this problem? I live in West London and it seems to affect most stations!

I'm not saying this will cure the problem but have you tried refreshing the DAB radio station list? To do this on my car I just touch whichever radio station is displayed on screen, then touch ‘Stations’ and finally ‘Refresh DAB station list’.

Here’s some information I’ve gathered from this ftypeforum which may help to resolve the poor DAB reception on your car (I’ve taken separate comments and put them in point form). I've also attached a copy of the Jaguar Service Action number K438 which was issued on 14/10/2016 and expired on 31/10/2018. This shows a software update that addresses issues including 'Loss of digital radio' (although this is applicable to MY 2016 - 2017 within VIN range K22922 - K36985).

1. I had this on mine and took it in for the software update. This did not cure the problem, after a few weeks the signal would be lost again. In the end I researched this forum and found a fix that has worked a treat for me. It’s been over a year and the fault has not returned. I disconnected the negative lead in the boot and left the car for an hour and reconnected. I had to reset window limits and a few other personal settings. Re scan for DAB channels and it has been all good ever since. The old IT fix of total shut down and reboot!!!

2. For the coupe, my manual says.......

Note: The DAB antenna is located in the Luggage compartment lid. Metallic items (e.g., laptops) placed on top of the luggage or in close proximity to the luggage compartment lid, may affect DAB reception.

I can also see the word 'Antenna' written on the top of the rear window (in the same colour as the heating elements).

3. I had an issue with my DAB radio earlier this week. It turned out a 4gwifi box that I had in the centre cubby hole was causing interference. I removed the box and DAB is now fine.

4. No issue with DAB on my 17 plate. I have had issues before with DAB on another car when rear windscreen heater was on. I recall a bad earth or something.

5. There are/is a software update for poor DAB reception.

6. Had problems with poor DAB reception and maintaining signal on MY14 until dealer did a software update. Now works fine.

viewtopic.php?t=422

viewtopic.php?t=2196

viewtopic.php?t=2503

viewtopic.php?t=1453#p13324
Wow thank you for collating all this from various forum posts! I've tried updating the channel list, but no joy. It's barely usable at times, cuts in and out so much. I didn't notice before when it was hot and sunny because I had the windows down and listened to the exhaust mainly ;)

Perhaps I need to take it to a dealer for a software update, this seems like it may fix it. There's no damage I can see to the antenna lines on the boot lid.
V8 RWD Coupe
Wrapped in Satin Red.
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

No probs!

Nothing wrong with listening to the exhaust note instead of the radio ;)

It could be worth you trying what is mentioned in point 1 before going to the dealer to check if it needs a software update for the DAB radio issue. “The old IT fix of total shut down and reboot” fixes numerous issues on the F-Type.

Resetting the windows is easy enough.......here’s the instructions which are taken from the Jaguar website:

WINDOW RESET:

The windows will need to be reset if the battery is disconnected, becomes discharged, or the power supply is interrupted.

Once the power supply is restored, reset the windows as follows:

Close the window fully, and release the switch.
Lift the switch to the close position, and hold for 2 seconds.
Repeat this process a total of 5 times.
Test the window, to check that one-touch operation is working correctly.
Repeat the process for the remaining window.

Where it says "Repeat this process a total of 5 times", it only took a couple of times when I last did it on my car.
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid
PDE

Post by PDE »

Dab maybe linked with the Quarter light glass. See the feature note on the Part numbers and the cost?

Quarter.JPG

F-Type P300 R-DYNAMIC, Fuji White, 5060 20" Alloys.
Gone, but not forgotten -
Audi S3 8v Saloon
Nissan 350Z
Nissan 350Z
Honda S2000
etc..