the dreaded diff issue, help needed

Anything F-Type related......
Sir Jagalot

Post by Sir Jagalot »

There's an owner on another forum collecting data for a poll on premature diff failures.

All I can tell at the moment is that they're not as rare as I thought, but the cause is not determined. Pure speculation, but leaking seals, lowering the car (which changes all the angles,) and debris from the LSD clutch turning the oil to sludge have been suggested causes. (No angry denials please, I'm only the messenger.)

Whatever, I'm bringing my diff oil change service forward from 4 yrs to 3 yrs.

Tel

Post by Tel »

Sir Jagalot wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:38 am debris from the LSD clutch turning the oil to sludge

I'd put my money on that being the route cause, couple with JLR's vary optimistic 64K first oil change that is well out of whack

This needs to be 15K IMO, judging on the failure rate and oil found from other owners.
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
Nick

Post by Nick »

With performance cars I have alway change things like oils much more regularly than required, also tend to see it there are higher spec oils available.
MY15 Coupe V8R Carbon Ceramic Brakes, 20" Anthracite Wheels Panoramic Roof, Meridian 770
Tel

Post by Tel »

Nick wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:03 pm With performance cars I have alway change things like oils much more regularly than required, also tend to see it there are higher spec oils available.
+1

My engine oil is changed every 3-5K miles....overkill I know, but the price of oil vs rebuild...no brainer!

Done the same with my bikes, some of which are now over 20 years old and sound as sweet as a nut.

Oils have moved a long way since 20W50 Multigrades and so have engine tolerances, but it's the life blood nevertheless.
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
Nick

Post by Nick »

Exactly the same, some people think 3000 miles for an oil change stupid, I feel £8k plus stupid. That’s how much my last rebuild cost me. I prefer £60 to £8K
MY15 Coupe V8R Carbon Ceramic Brakes, 20" Anthracite Wheels Panoramic Roof, Meridian 770
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

Nick wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:03 pm Exactly the same, some people think 3000 miles for an oil change stupid, I feel £8k plus stupid. That’s how much my last rebuild cost me. I prefer £60 to £8K
I'd love to know where you can get jag spec oil and filter from for 60 quid :?:
Firesand Coupe R
Vossen HF-3 Satin Bronze
SVR Rear Spoiler
H&R springs
Oem Project 7 grill
VAP tune, upper and lower pulleys,
200 cell cats, induction kit.
Supersprint cat back valved back box
Loud, very loud lol
650-660 bhp
Nick

Post by Nick »

Timbo wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:31 pm
Nick wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:03 pm Exactly the same, some people think 3000 miles for an oil change stupid, I feel £8k plus stupid. That’s how much my last rebuild cost me. I prefer £60 to £8K
I'd love to know where you can get jag spec oil and filter from for 60 quid :?:

Previous type, :oops: yea bit more expensive worth this still definitely worth it though.
gasgas

Post by gasgas »

try opie oils an online supplier do a great service.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post