How to clean chrome exhaust tips

Anything F-Type related......
Stebrim1

Post by Stebrim1 »

I have recently got a 380 V6S abds the chrome exhuast tips are not in great condition. Any ideas how to clean or can I buy a good after market replacement

Fez

Post by Fez »

Use autosol and they will come up like new... nothing like a little bit of polishing to keep you happy..
Black AWD 400, sport
MY 18.5
Pan Roof
Heated front screen
Front parking sensors
Full spare
Glaf

Post by Glaf »

Stebrim1 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:46 am I have recently got a 380 V6S abds the chrome exhuast tips are not in great condition. Any ideas how to clean or can I buy a good after market replacement

Petrol on a piece of cloth to remove the black deposits etc, then polish with Autosol Solvol 😉
V6 Coupe, 2015, white with black pack, panoramic roof, 20" black Cylones, red callipers. 8-)
TVR Griffith 4.3, 1992, owned for 5 wonderful years.
gasgas

Post by gasgas »

WD40 works every time
mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

Autosol on a piece of cardboard cereal packet. That was the old method for polishing up alloy motorbike engine casings until they shone like chrome. The cardboard absorbs less of the metal polish than a cloth and levels the surface better for a mirror finish. Although stainless is much easier than ally to shine up
2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR
alpinaman

Post by alpinaman »

Get an exhaust polishing cone on a drill and use autosol

Take all the effort away..
Tel

Post by Tel »

I'd never take a coarse abrasive like Autosol anywhere near my F-Type. On the inside of the pipe maybe.

I use, and have done for many years, on my bikes, a very fine, mild compound: https://www.thepolishingshop.co.uk/belg ... mes-407005

Now I have black tips, I never polish them ;-)
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
Philskill

Post by Philskill »

gTechniq M1 metal polish and a polishing pad gave mine a good sort out!

HalfandHalf.jpg

MY19 Carpathian Grey R-Dynamic P300, Black pack in and out, 12 way Memory seats, Climate Pack, Park assist, Meridian Surround, switchable exhaust.
frankgama

Post by frankgama »

Ive always gone back to Autosol for my polishing needs, and can get a mirror finish every time.
Recently bought Meguiars metal polish thinking that costlier must be better, but still feel autos is easier to work with and gives me a far better finish.
One could always go down the jewellers route with fine graded Lapidary diamond paste but at the end of the day its just an exhaust.
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

If you don't have a polishing cone - and it's not the sort of thing I'd bother spending on - then save your old socks.

One for putting on and one for polishing off - you can also hold the ends and get right in-between the exhaust tip and bodywork for a good polish.

..a further advantage is you can have a hand puppet show at the same time :D

I'm trying hard not to believe that I get even better noises when I have a dirty end though.
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post