My car issue

Anything F-Type related......
TheExactPlayer

Post by TheExactPlayer »

Hi guys,

For the past few months, if I leave my car for a few days without starting it, I get the "Roof Not Latched" error message appear on the dash.

The car starts without issue, and after a few minutes running the error disappears. If the car is on a trickle charge, then I don't get the error.

I replaced the battery for an identical type and I'm still getting the same issue after not driving the car for a few days.

I decided to take the car into Jaguar to see if something was draining the battery.

They came back and said that something is draining the battery and it could be the way the Ctek is wired. I explained to them that the wiring was correct, but they came back saying the positive cable should be connected directly to the battery instead of the fuse box. They then tried to charge me £265 just to swap the cable. I told them I'll come and do it myself.

She then called me to say they would do it for free. Now the cable has been swapped the issue is still there. Now they're saying it the non- approved Jaguar battery that could be causing the drainage. I tried to explain that the problem was happening when I had the old Jaguar approved battery in place, and it was the only reason I changed the battery in the first place.
They either do not have a clue on what the issue is, or they're trying to screw me out my hard-earned money. Luckily the car is under warranty. Any advice?

Tel

Post by Tel »

Dealers do not have the foggiest when it comes to tech issues. Your last paragraph hit the nail firmly on the head.

Common issue caused by a slightly low battery.
All it needs is a good charge, positive should be connected to the fuse box pos busbar. The caveat here being that your battery is similar spec as OEM.

The issue is that the latch motors need a very high current to do the final latch operation. If the battery is slightly low in voltage you will receive the not latched message.
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
scm

Post by scm »

One reason for random battery drain is the use of an incorrectly terminated OBD session. Have you plugged anything into the OBD port recently, or taken it anywhere where they might have done so? If that is the problem, the cure is to disconnect the battery for a few minutes and the draining module(s) will be reset. Common problem on the US forum, apparently.

BTW, you could have used a better subject line so your thread is easier to find by people having similar issues. ;)
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
TheExactPlayer

Post by TheExactPlayer »

Tel wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:41 pm Dealers do not have the foggiest when it comes to tech issues. Your last paragraph hit the nail firmly on the head.

Common issue caused by a slightly low battery.
All it needs is a good charge, positive should be connected to the fuse box pos busbar. The caveat here being that your battery is similar spec as OEM.

The issue is that the latch motors need a very high current to do the final latch operation. If the battery is slightly low in voltage you will receive the not latched message.
I agree and have told them this. The battery is fully charged already. I think something in the car is drawing the battery current overnight and then causing the error message to appear the next day.

I can't the issue being the non-oem battery. I really don't trust them at all.
Tel

Post by Tel »

If the battery is, as you say fully charged and similar capacity to the OEM fitment, then simply as SCM says, disconnect the +VE from the battery, have a cuppa and reconnect.

The 'brains' on F-Types are suseptable to shoddy dealers ;-)

Let us know the outcome, once you've done this.

FWIW I can replicate your exact problem at home on my car if I run the systems at about 10. 5V, but it's the current thst is the show stopper with the latch motors. They will wind with a lower voltage, however a liver voltage is usually a good sign that the current available is likely to be less.
2016MY V8R IRR
Billet OBD lock
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
dbv6s

Post by dbv6s »

when swapping to a new battery did you have it coded in / tell the car that its new?
If you dont 'reset the brain' then you can still get some dodgy messages despite having a fully charged battery
TheExactPlayer

Post by TheExactPlayer »

dbv6s wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:54 pm when swapping to a new battery did you have it coded in / tell the car that its new?
If you dont 'reset the brain' then you can still get some dodgy messages despite having a fully charged battery
Hi,

Yes, the battery was coded in.
Tel

Post by Tel »

@TheExactPlayer - Have you removed and reconnected the +ve?
2016MY V8R IRR
Billet OBD lock
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
chicb

Post by chicb »

You have a parasitic drain. I had this type of problem on my Range Rover (same system). Main dealer said "nothing wrong, drive it more". Eventually went to an Auto electrician who found it but it took three days. Not as expensive as it sounds as they tried something, had to let the car go to sleep, then check, so I was not paying for the time the car was "sleeping". Main dealers can not diagnose anything that does not show a fault code. Get yourself a good Auto electrician
F type convertible, (gone)
Range Rover Sport,
S63 AMG Coupe Mercedes
Porsche 911 (992) Carrera 4S
TheExactPlayer

Post by TheExactPlayer »

Tel wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:56 pm @TheExactPlayer - Have you removed and reconnected the +ve?
Hi,

Yes, this has been done already.

The car was in Jaguar for three days and I was told the problem has been fixed by changing one of the motors.

Drove home, then next morning started the car and the same message appear on the dash. :P It seems they really don't have a clue what's going on.

I was told to bring the car back to them again! Because the car is still under the extended warranty I really don't want to take it somewhere else for a fix. They (Jaguar) should be able to resolve this issue for me without me paying for it.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post