My car issue

Anything F-Type related......
scm

Post by scm »

TheExactPlayer wrote: ↑Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:39 pm No, the error I'm getting is the same "Roof not Latched" when starting the car. If the car has been charged using my Ctek charger, and then unplug the ctek charger. Without starting the car for 1-2 days, why is the error still appearing? I thought the alternator is only there to charge the battery when the car is running? Unless something else is draining the battery while at standstill.
I wonder if the car is constantly trying to latch the roof, which is what's draining the battery. i have the coupe so your issue is alien to me.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!

Tel

Post by Tel »

Is the roof actually visually and audibly latching?
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more πŸ’©
TheExactPlayer

Post by TheExactPlayer »

Tel wrote: ↑Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:48 pm Is the roof actually visually and audibly latching?
Yes, it is. Sometimes when I get the error when starting the car, and then 3-5 minutes later with the engine running the error goes away and you can faintly hear the roof click.
TheExactPlayer

Post by TheExactPlayer »

scm wrote: ↑Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:43 pm
TheExactPlayer wrote: ↑Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:39 pm No, the error I'm getting is the same "Roof not Latched" when starting the car. If the car has been charged using my Ctek charger, and then unplug the ctek charger. Without starting the car for 1-2 days, why is the error still appearing? I thought the alternator is only there to charge the battery when the car is running? Unless something else is draining the battery while at standstill.
I wonder if the car is constantly trying to latch the roof, which is what's draining the battery. i have the coupe so your issue is alien to me.
Not sure. When I close the roof I get the message that the roof is latched.

After the error disappears I don't get it again until the next morning. Even though I drive the car all day with the roof up or down. No errors when trying to open the roof, or close the roof all day, until the next morning.
Tel

Post by Tel »

TheExactPlayer wrote: ↑Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:52 pm
Tel wrote: ↑Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:48 pm Is the roof actually visually and audibly latching?
Yes, it is. Sometimes when I get the error when starting the car, and then 3-5 minutes later with the engine running the error goes away and you can faintly hear the roof click.
it sounds like it is not fully completing the operation then, sporadically, hence why the erroneous messages.

Have taken a look at Topix and have read the info on the signals required for latch operation. Instead of microswitches to signal open and close conditions at the latch motor mechanism, Hall effect sensors are used. If one of these were not sending the correct information (i.e misaligned or loose) to the control module you'd experience this effect.
This is the are that would be checked...although I don't see it in the tech report. Can you obtain the actual fault codes?
2016MY V8R IRR
Billet OBD lock
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Mich PS4S's
+ more πŸ’©
TheExactPlayer

Post by TheExactPlayer »

Tel wrote: ↑Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:09 pm
TheExactPlayer wrote: ↑Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:52 pm
it sounds like it is not fully completing the operation then, sporadically, hence why the erroneous messages.

Have taken a look at Topix and have read the info on the signals required for latch operation. Instead of microswitches to signal open and close conditions at the latch motor mechanism, Hall effect sensors are used. If one of these were not sending the correct information (i.e misaligned or loose) to the control module you'd experience this effect.
This is the are that would be checked...although I don't see it in the tech report. Can you obtain the actual fault codes?
Below is the report that was sent to me by AA when they came out to my car.

"Patrol found the following fault code/s:System : Convenience 2 - 2EP / Roof operating unit 4.0 Status :U0001 - High-speed CAN bus. Error Message : Missing message. Error static. Status :U2011 - Convertible top motor. Error Message : Faulty operation. Error sporadic. Status :U2013 - Button for convertible-top operation. Error Message : Signal plausibility not OK. Error sporadic. Status :U3003 - Vehicle-battery voltage. Error Message : Voltage below threshold. Historical fault.Roof latched securely"
TheExactPlayer

Post by TheExactPlayer »

Just had a quick look in my warranty handbook and I can see the part that says "Deterioration such as discolouration, alteration or deformation of parts due to normal ageing".
This is what they're using to charge me for the replacement of the cable due to the very small corr. Do you guys think this is a justifiable reason to charge me?
TheExactPlayer

Post by TheExactPlayer »

Just uploaded the video from the Vehicle health check detailing the corrosion on the cable.

Tel

Post by Tel »

I do not understand why they have not removed the red heat shrink sleeving to expose the cable and thus tell if the cable itself is the culprit. Salt and water can capiliarise up cable like anyones's business!
The cable and connection points should have a cover over the top. It's not shown on the video, it is either missing or they have it removed for testing....you can check this by peering into the drivers side wheel arch
2016MY V8R IRR
Billet OBD lock
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Mich PS4S's
+ more πŸ’©