Main dealer Oil change

Anything F-Type related......
G13 V8

Post by G13 V8 »

Hi All,

Has anyone else has their car serviced at the main dealer, for an oil change only....

And had the tech take the car on a 7 mile “Test drive”??

I only ask as when I’ve had the car serviced previously and I’ve waited for the service, it’s never left the dealership. This one, 30 degree sunshine and opposite one of the county’s best tunnels....I had to leave it with them....I’ve got not a lot of fuel left and 7 miles added......maybe my Ferris Bueller moment!
Main dealers eh.... :roll:

scm

Post by scm »

Is the "Record Journeys" facility great? When mine was in for a new cargo cover under warranty a year ago they took it for a longish test drive, but they had done a few software updates so presumably had to check they hadn't broken anything. Last time it was in the test drive lasted 1.1 miles.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
G13 V8

Post by G13 V8 »

Did you speak to them about it and get anywhere with why they “had” to give it a test??

I’m sure mine wouldn’t have had an additional run if it was January and cold....maybe they get many V8’s in.

Time to find a good Indy I think, that’s the second local dealer (same group) to let me down. Shame jaguar, big shame....
gasgas

Post by gasgas »

zero miles when I get mine serviced
G13 V8

Post by G13 V8 »

Hi all, I thought I would share the information I have received from my local main dealer. You should all be aware of this so you don’t have the same surprise as me on collecting your car. It is now, “for safety” reasons standard practice to take all cars out for a test drive to check the car is safe to return to customers. If you have a mini service, major or just an oil change, a 7 mile “test” in dynamic mode is required by the technician performing the service/oil change. If you haven’t given them permission to take your car out of the dealership and go for a run that doesn’t matter, they don’t need permission as they must check the car is safe before handing it back to you. Just thought I’d let you all know to leave a good amount of fuel in your cars when you’re next having a basic service on your beloved F-Types as the technician will want to take it for a drive. Standard, safety practice (apparently)......we should applaud the dealer group for making sure we are safe. It will be interesting to see if the every day 2 litre diesels need to be as safe as a convertible V8 F type (on a sunny weekend)..........just to let you all know.
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

All services on F-Type include on the service schedule
"Carry out road test as documented in the WSM instructions"

So a test drive should be expected. Mine did 1.7 miles. Once during service and a second trip during brake test for MOT and after having a new back box. Took the same route both times so that must be my dealers standard route. In some respects I am glad they do test drive after servicing and repairs to ensure it feels/sounds/runs OK.

7 miles doesn't seem too bad to me. My InControl does not record what mode the car was in but expect them to try dynamic mode to ensure it engages OK and throws no faults.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black, pano roof and thats about it 8-)
G13 V8

Post by G13 V8 »

Fair point, I just wonder why a test drive hasn’t ever been performed previously on any of the other 2 services I’ve had done at the main dealer....but you’re quite right, if it should be done as per the listing of service items, maybe the issue was that the drive wasn’t performed previously.....same dealer though)....And it wasn’t as sunny before...🤷🏼‍♂️
scm

Post by scm »

I can't see why a test drive is needed after an oil change service, but if they've updated software they'd have to check they haven't broken anything. Always assuming they'd actually find it, of course!
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
alpinaman

Post by alpinaman »

When i was a dealer tech we had to do pre determined routes on every roadtest.. We had different routes for different actions.

Then the mileage and route could be explained of the customer was to question it.

7 miles is daft after a standard service,iirc it was 1.2 miles that we used to do.

As you suspect they were swanning about in it on a nice day.
G13 V8

Post by G13 V8 »

I think we all know that they took it for a part in Ferris Buellers Day Off pt2.....28 degrees, long tunnel opposite.....it just shows as much as we all give main dealers the benefit of the doubt they continually let us down. Shame really. If the market didn’t place so much value on the full dealer history stamp I doubt many of us would go....I’ll wait for my “vip” special managers event invitation on plate change time and drink 7 miles worth of free coffee!! :-)

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post