V6S or the 2.0

Anything F-Type related......
Stefanhunt

Post by Stefanhunt »

Could somebody point me in the right direction,I’m in the market for an Ftype and like the look and kit on the 400 sport but these don’t come for sale that often but I also like the look of some of the 2.0 ltr cars.
My concern is spec ,are the base 2.0 a long way off the spec of a 400 or is dependent on the build spec.
Like sports seats and design pack etc

Chrissyg

Post by Chrissyg »

I think the 2.0l cars with the R Dynamic pack look really smart! If it's looks you're after, a 2.0 will do the job just fine! If you're after drama and the soundtrack as well as the looks then I would walk straight past a 2.0 and get a V6S - the V6 soundtrack is fantastic compared to the 2.0l... A lot of 2.0l are specced up to be the similar to V6S's, but you'll probably have more high spec cars to choose from if you pick a V6S as they're a higher list price and probably means original buyers are more inclined to option up the car a bit more. Most of the 2.0l trim/spec options are available on the V6S. Go and drive both before you decide.
20MY D240 RR Velar - Firenze Red
200tdi Defender 90
Ex-MOD SWB Series III Land Rover
nurgle

Post by nurgle »

The Jag website seems to allow most options on a 2.0 new performance seats etc so I presume any 2.0 if you can find one used could reach the spec you would be happy with.

My reason for posting however, is that I have a V6S and have not got anywhere near using the full performance of the car. My eventual choice was a 2.0 coupe or older convertible V6S, didn't test drive the 2.0 as a convertible was the original plan. TBH I wish I'd have tried the 2.0 as well, I suspect I might have looked for a convertible one of those. Only you can decide but its the drive, usability and whether you want the loud exhaust I think that is the key difference between 2.0 and V6, not so much other spec.

:)
scm

Post by scm »

If you want a 2.0 don't test drive a V6. Nothing wrong with the 2.0, but the V6 (and V8!) is a very different beast. If it's just looks you're after, any model will do - they all look fantastic.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

I think you have to broadly decide if you are more driven by spec.and accessories, or noise, performance, theatre, etc.

If it’s just looks then just find a 2.0 with what you want and save money on all sorts of associated costs across fuel, insurance, servicing.

If it’s the latter then the 2.0 will likely be a big mistake. Paper numbers of wringing HP from a 2.0 do not show the driver experience differences.
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

I would definitely recommend driving different variants as although they look very similar the experience is not. We all have differing priorities so you need to see/feel for yourself. For me the 2.0L was very nicely balanced and drove well (and quick enough for me) but felt a bit anaemic, the V8R was monstrous with loads of noise, grip and theatre and the RWD V6S (P380) was close enough to the V8 in theatre but a different tone, not as quick but felt better to me in the corners, probably due to RWD 'feel' and less weight at the front. If you decide without test driving others you may regret it in the future when you do get to drive the others such as when it's in for servicing and they loan you a V6/V8 for example.

Also worth trying out the different seats before deciding on the 'must have' spec that you want.
Millwheel

Post by Millwheel »

I think the decision depends on the use you’re going to put it to. I’ve now had an XK8, two 5 litre XKs, an F-type V6 and have just bought a virtually new 2.0, so I’ve been slowly moving down in cylinder count! Living at the bottom of Southern England with its overcrowded and inadequate roads, it is effectively impossible now to make any sensible use of the power in the V6 and V8 without heading to Wales or the far North, and at any legal speed none of these engines is even trying. I moved to the 2.0 as I find the power in the right place for the road conditions and the handling the best of the bunch; the car flows naturally on the road and has a subtlety lacking in the other cars, which have a more urgent feel about them. I do sometimes miss the V6 staccato snarl, but in the uncertain times we now live in a little discretion is no bad thing. I’d class the 2.0 as the closest this model gets to a GT, and if that’s your goal it’s the right choice. If you want a more assertive drive, then buy more cylinders. For me, I’m looking forward to some long distance drives when the situation allows, in a superb vehicle that ticks every box on my list. And regardless of the engine, looks absolutely stunning, with a backwards glance every time you leave it.
powerhouse

Post by powerhouse »

scm wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:47 am If you want a 2.0 don't test drive a V6. Nothing wrong with the 2.0, but the V6 (and V8!) is a very different beast. If it's just looks you're after, any model will do - they all look fantastic.
Have to disagree with you on the V6 option the 340 anyway, coming from several xkr’s I know about power, have driven the V6 340 and apart from difference in sound the 2.0 is Nearly equal if not better, better in driver handling, the lighter engine gives more feedback and better front end control especially in corners, speed and performance between the two, not much there, if your into the noise the V6 is the way to go but in the 340 engine it’s not such a beast compared to the 4 pot
Caledra Red 2018 2.0 R Dynamic
Black Pack
Project 7 Grill
Eibach Lowering Springs
Judd Model One 21" Rims
305/25/21 rears 265/30/21 fronts
Maxton design rear lip spoiler & rear diffuser splitters
Rear box delete, twin straight pipes fitted
Fez

Post by Fez »

In the initial post you state you like the look of 400 sport... I would save up your pennies and hunt down one of those specially if you intend to keep....
You will not be disappointed......
Black AWD 400, sport
MY 18.5
Pan Roof
Heated front screen
Front parking sensors
Full spare
Fez

Post by Fez »

There is a white 400 sport AWD for sale on here!! It's not my car...
Black AWD 400, sport
MY 18.5
Pan Roof
Heated front screen
Front parking sensors
Full spare