Independent engineer’s report

Anything F-Type related......
Jpeak

Post by Jpeak »

Has anyone experience of obtaining an independent engineer’s report? I’m not happy with work carried out under warranty and am getting nowhere with the retailer. I understand that the Motor Ombudsman service can recommend a company DEKRA but have read awful reviews of the Ombudsman service. Do I need to give the retailer a choice of engineers, as they are refusing to contribute towards a joint report?

simpleR

Post by simpleR »

Hi and welcome.

First Post. What car do you have, spec, MY, etc and whats the issue/pictures? Perhaps someone can help with some more information.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black, pano roof and thats about it 8-)
Jpeak

Post by Jpeak »

Thanks for your support. Reluctant to be specific at this point as who knows who reads these posts. Just unsure of the process of how to get a truly independent report before possible litigation.
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

Sorry, I can't help if you cannot share any information at all but as you state its under warranty then Jaguar should sort this out. Good luck.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black, pano roof and thats about it 8-)
scharlton

Post by scharlton »

Hi Jpeak,
I had an issue with a main dealer, not as serious as yours sounds though but still an issue.
I sent a PM to Pete@Jaguar on this forum who are Jag's customer services and got fantastic support to investigate my issue and come up with solutions, maybe worth a try.
2014 Coupe 5.0R RWD
White
Herts
Jpeak

Post by Jpeak »

Thanks for your advice. Already tried that route but without success.
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

If you’re getting nowhere with the Jaguar main dealer who carried out the work under warranty, then your first step should be to contact the Jaguar UK Customer Experience Centre about the issue. https://www.jaguar.co.uk/contact-us/index.html

A while after I bought my car from an independent dealership I had some issues with it and I almost used DEKRA for an engineer’s report but didn’t need to in the end.

I would never give the retailer a choice of engineers as some work hand in hand with each other (as I found out) and can be very biased towards the retailer. It’s much better to choose a good independent engineer assessor and pay for the report yourself. This can be reclaimed from the retailer if your claim is successful.

Not sure if this is any use to you but RAC do a ‘unit and component inspection’ which performs a detailed inspection of specific vehicle parts. They also do a ‘post purchase inspection’ which provides a mechanical, structural and component check covering 307 points to confirm problems or mechanical faults after you’ve bought the vehicle. The RAC team can be contacted on 0330 159 0720 for more information. https://www.rac.co.uk/buying-a-car/vehicle-inspections

Another option is to use this search facility from 'The Institute of Automotive Engineer Assessors'. This will find the closest independent automotive engineer assessor who can carry out the type of work/vehicle inspection that you are looking for. https://www.iaea-online.org/find-an-engineer

Good luck
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid
Jpeak

Post by Jpeak »

Many thanks, really useful advice. Was about to ring DEKRA but will explore other options first as per your suggestions. I too am very suspicious about the independence of certain companies.
scm

Post by scm »

I used RAC to do a pre-purchase inspection of two XK8s I was contemplating and they did a great job in steering me to the right one to buy! Very thorough checks, and professional throughout.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Jpeak

Post by Jpeak »

Thanks for the advice. Will check them out!

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post