Front Brake Pad Replacement

Anything F-Type related......
daytona650

Post by daytona650 »

I found the clips on the back of the pads went back in more easily if you used your hands to move them in place, then use the handle of a hammer (or any small wooden bar to lever the pads so the clips push into the spaces for the clips.

I did the inside first, then the outside.

This was about 3months ago so i have slept since then, but the first time you do them it feels like they wont go back in. Also giving the caliper a good clean while it's apart helps it all go back in.

An hour or so each side with time allowed for patience and coming back at it after a cuppa and it's not too bad.
2013 V6S Convertible - Salsa Red, Performance Seats, 20" Wheels, Climate Pack.

Topfox59

Post by Topfox59 »

GusA wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:36 pm Maybe this will help?

That’s a very crude way to replace a brake pad clip. Especially on calipers that are powder coated
Mole grips and screwdrivers - Jesus!
I’m assuming these same calipers are used on other JLR models, I suspect there is a purpose designed tool as they wouldn’t be doing this on the production line
MY18, 400AWD, Black Coupe, Pano, Climate Seats, Camera, Pwd Hatch, Htd Screens/Wheel
Philskill

Post by Philskill »

They of course do not do it like that on the production line at all, the whole upright will come pre-assembled, even in the pre-assembly plant, they will be assembled with no brake fluid and the caliper may even come pre-assembled from the manufacturer, and just slid over the disc and bolt the carrier onto the hub.

You'd need a tool that allows you to stretch the centre up holding the ends down enough against the force of the spring but still allow it to slip into place under tension.

You also have to be careful as there is a tiny plastic cover over the locking pin in the centre of the spring that is easily damaged.

And after all the clever ideas I still resorted to pliers and screwdrivers in the end.... they really are awkward, and way more difficult than any other caliper spring i've come across!

Was there not a method to do the pads by removing the whole caliper rather than separating it at the pins, not sure how easy it would be to get the new pads in with the caliper still together.
MY19 Carpathian Grey R-Dynamic P300, Black pack in and out, 12 way Memory seats, Climate Pack, Park assist, Meridian Surround, switchable exhaust.
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Philskill wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:48 pm Was there not a method to do the pads by removing the whole caliper rather than separating it at the pins, not sure how easy it would be to get the new pads in with the caliper still together.

Here you go.....
RPSN wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:57 am Although the pads can be renewed without the need to remove the guide pins and front anti-rattle clips, some prefer not to use this method as explained in the posts by member ‘OzXFR’.
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=4717
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views