Front Brake Pad Replacement

Anything F-Type related......
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Hi,

I'm happy with the method for changing the rear pads, so for the fronts is there anything anyone has had issues with?

It ought to be more straight-forward without having to set the maintenance mode, but do I recall someone posting that the clips can be very tight to get in?

I did search the technical section but drew a blank.
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust

alpinaman

Post by alpinaman »

The clips are very tight,its easy to scratch the paint..

I looked online,and the method (iirc) is some kind of clamp that looked like a mastic gun to hold the clip against the caliper,then wangle in the centre and end clips.

I managed to do it with the gun/clamp affair but it was tricky..
Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

Maybe this will help?

alpinaman

Post by alpinaman »

Christ,,,

That will make a mess of the caliper paint...
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Yep, made me smile - but at least I know what I’m in for now.

Appreciate the quick response guys!
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
Tel

Post by Tel »

I did fronts, backs and renewed the fluid with higher boiling point type.

Putting the clips back on has left me both physically and mentally scarred for life ;-)

They are, without the shadow of a doubt, one of the most difficult jobs I have ever come across, apart form putting a new windscreen into a classic car using a 'spanish-windlass' to bend it into shape!

There is plenty of info on the US forums, and some claim it is an easy job - try their method...it is not.

What nobody seems to tell you (Forums, Youtube, TopIx) is that on both of the arms that have to be 'pinged' back into place and two small tongues that locate into recesses in the cast calliper, are small shims formed loosely over the ends that these must stay in place as well as getting the assembly pre-loaded and re-located.

I really should contact TRW, the manufacturers and ask of their procedure.

After lots and lots of expletives and 'gin breaks' I got them back without too much in the way of scratches. This is applicable to the Super Performance Brakes.
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Cheers Tel.

It sounds about as much fun as compressing a road spring with a couple of dodgy clamps! :D

...Buckaroo anyone??
Tel

Post by Tel »

Lunar wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:19 am Cheers Tel.

It sounds about as much fun as compressing a road spring with a couple of dodgy clamps! :D

...Buckaroo anyone??
:lol: G-Clamps, rope...been there!
2016MY V8R IRR
Billet OBD lock
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
Philskill

Post by Philskill »

Yes these clips are the worst i've ever done too (well almost as bad a drum brake springs...) :shock:

I also found there is a small plastic cover I assume for vibration dampening on the tounge that fits in the centre, and trying to get that tongue in while keeping the ends in place, and not slide off the plastic cover in the process is a real mare. I did have a couple of touch up points after refitting. :evil:

Only took 1 side off, as was only cleaning and coating the OEM finish, and was bu..ered if I was going to remove the other side!

Didn't think of the g-clamp around the back to hold the spring in place, I do have a clamp with plastic teeth so might try that method when the pads come to needing replacement... hopefully not any time soon!

Would live to know how you are supposed to do it...
MY19 Carpathian Grey R-Dynamic P300, Black pack in and out, 12 way Memory seats, Climate Pack, Park assist, Meridian Surround, switchable exhaust.
Tel

Post by Tel »

Topix sums it up, but got the word ''delicate'' and ''frustrating'' mixed up ;-)

Screen Shot 2020-08-19 at 14.09.30.png

2016MY V8R IRR
Billet OBD lock
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Mich PS4S's