2019 F Type R Exhaust volume

Anything F-Type related......
Jue_92

Post by Jue_92 »

I’ve recently taken ownership of a 2019 F Type R (UK), coming from the RWD 2014 model the exhaust note seems much more tame and muffled. I’m guessing this is due to a combination of the OPF and Software Updates.

I've been recommended to look at the VAP 200 Cell Cats/Downpipes but I'm struggling to find any examples of these been used on an F Type R with an OPF. Has anyone had these fitted with an OPF?

Are there any more options I have than just the downpipes to try and bring back some of the old drama?

Thanks,

falkenhayn

Post by falkenhayn »

I don't know about VAP, but you should pull the fuse that controls the valves. Also drive in Dynamic anyway as the sound is still the strongest in this mode even with the fuse pulled. This will at least increase volume for low rpms and you will get more pops and crackles for low rpms too. At least that's how it is on my V6 2019. Also my car got much louder after 10000km.
Unfortunately there are no differences above 3500rpm though. For more drama especially on start up and general volume you will need an aftermarket solution.
Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

Mine also has an OPF and is quieter than the car I test drove (V6 P380)

I’m interested in fitting a different exhaust or cat to bring some of the drama back that I enjoyed on the test.

I don’t want to invalidate the warranty though, do you think this sort of mod will cause JLR not to honour it?
falkenhayn

Post by falkenhayn »

I have an Ultra Blue Coupe by the way, love the colour. ;-)

I never drove the V6 without OPF, is the difference really that significant? With the fuse pulled and without the trunk cover the sound is still really loud, especially on S+. I do think that the sound is really subdued on low rpms though as the car is extremely quiet when standing still.

Before there was kind of a grey zone where manufacturers could make the sound much louder on sport mode. The new regulations don't allow it though as it has to comply to the value written in the vehicle registartion in every mode now.
Deleted User 1254

Post by Deleted User 1254 »

IIRC, OPF and a different version Bosch ECU were introduced at some point in 2019 (not sure if was MY 20) cut in, at the same time EU noise level regulatory changes were implemented. My MY19 was full bore, pops and bangs, but was built Dec 18. My MY20 SVR was built Sept 19, and is devoid of most pops and bangs.
falkenhayn

Post by falkenhayn »

I know that the new facelift V8 really is devoid of most pops and crackles.

I got my V6 June 2019, it's fitted with OPF and has Euro 6D-Temp emissions, so it's quieter than before, but still has obnoxious levels of pops and crackles, those are probably also a bit quieter though. I made a video before with the fuse pulled:

scm

Post by scm »

falkenhayn wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:54 pm... but still has obnoxious levels of pops and crackles ....
One man's obnoxious is another's music to the ears .... ;)
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

falkenhayn wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:40 pm I have an Ultra Blue Coupe by the way, love the colour. ;-)

I never drove the V6 without OPF, is the difference really that significant? With the fuse pulled and without the trunk cover the sound is still really loud, especially on S+. I do think that the sound is really subdued on low rpms though as the car is extremely quiet when standing still.

Before there was kind of a grey zone where manufacturers could make the sound much louder on sport mode. The new regulations don't allow it though as it has to comply to the value written in the vehicle registartion in every mode now.
Good colour choice! :lol:

Fairly big difference to me although mine has got better as the mileage has increased.

It’s not a deal breaker at all for me, it’s just annoying! I love the car and love driving it so I guess I’ll just get used to it! I won’t be modifying it if it will void the warranty or upset the insurers.
dbv6s

Post by dbv6s »

Jaguar doesn't approve any aftermarket exhaust so for everyone worried about warranty either speak to your dealer first (think we know the answer) or run the risk

fuse pull is an option, definitely worth a go considering it takes 2 seconds and is FOC

Exhaust mod wise, 200 cell cats sounds amazing on Daddy Darrens V6 (2015 car i think so no OPF or muted software)
Plenty of companies out there offering back boxes and cat back systems - there's a V8 cat back qucksilver system for sale on the forum for £600 for example...... grab a bargain!
falkenhayn

Post by falkenhayn »

scm wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:00 pm
falkenhayn wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:54 pm... but still has obnoxious levels of pops and crackles ....
One man's obnoxious is another's music to the ears .... ;)
Haha I agree and I also meant obnoxious in a positive way. ;)

And I agree with the mileage increase as well, since the video the car has gotten louder too as it's now nearing 10000km. As you said it used to annoy me a bit in the beginning but nowadays it's ok as all the other cars with loud exhausts are often even more subdued thanks to those stupid noise regulations.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post