Tyres

Anything F-Type related......
Technical

Post by Technical »

Your guidance will be appreciated.
I have standard 19 inch rims on my 2015 V6 and I am about to change the tyres. I would like to have the largest tyres (Michelin Pilot Sport S) I can fit onto the rims without making any modifications.
Currently the car has on the front 245/40/ZR19 and 275/35 ZR19 on the rear.
Can I improve on that?
Sorry if this question has already been asked.

Derivative

Post by Derivative »

Check your insurance company would be happy with your proposal.
MY2018 R-Dynamic 340 coupe
Mister_D

Post by Mister_D »

I can't imagine the insurance company having an issue with more grip 😉 but it is a modification so you should let them know.

I'm interested in this too, mine has p zeros all round which I'm not impressed with. They seem to follow every undulation in the road, tramlining I think it's called and michelins have been recommended as a better tire to help cure this.

I wonder if we could go up to 295 on the rear?

Are you doing it for grip or looks?
MY17 F-Type V6 RWD in Glacier White
Technical

Post by Technical »

For both grip and looks.
santoshlv426

Post by santoshlv426 »

I've been looking at my tires as well, which are the Pirelli P Zero - factory fitted and currently 5 years old but still have alot of life in them
I found that Jaguar here lists the Pirelli as original approved but I see many guys changing to the more expensive Michelins.

I was also advised that the Pirelli should be more comforatbale as the rubber is softer - so why is it that the opinions suggest the Michelins are more comfortably ?
F Type 5.0L V8 RWD 2016
Rhodium Silver

scm

Post by scm »

santoshlv426 wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:31 am I was also advised that the Pirelli should be more comfortable as the rubber is softer - so why is it that the opinions suggest the Michelins are more comfortably ?
Who advised you? I doubt that such a low profile allows much difference in sidewall softness to be noticeable between the various tyres. The pressure you run at is likely to be more significant.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Mister_D wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:36 am I can't imagine the insurance company having an issue with more grip 😉 but it is a modification so you should let them know.

I'm interested in this too, mine has p zeros all round which I'm not impressed with. They seem to follow every undulation in the road, tramlining I think it's called and michelins have been recommended as a better tire to help cure this.

I wonder if we could go up to 295 on the rear?

Are you doing it for grip or looks?
Any modification that takes the car away from spec is likely to cost more in claims. Simple stats drive the insurers to know this
Make it look better - more likely to be stolen
Make it have more grip - you’re likely to be the type of driver driving faster, or arguably wider tyres have much less grip on wet and icy roads..
Move away from spec. More likely to upset geometry or similar
Repairs will cost more, etc.

However you look at it the insurer sees more risk so more premium is justifiable

On other side if you stick to approved tyre sizes even on bigger rims you often end up with no increased premium

I’m not for one minute saying don’t do it. I mod all my cars extensively and pay increased premiums
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
TTHOR732

Post by TTHOR732 »

I own a V6 Supercharged and currently have on the front 245/40/R19 and 275/35/R19 on the rear. They are Pirelli's and I've read many times that the Michelin PS4S are a big improvement so I will be changing all 4 tyres.

If I was to buy MPS4S 255/35/R20 for the front and 295/30/R20 for the rear, would they fit on the current vehicle size or would I need to replace the entire wheel?

This could be a really basic question but I'm new and rather confused by the idea. Thanks in advance.
Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

TTHOR732 wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:59 pm I own a V6 Supercharged and currently have on the front 245/40/R19 and 275/35/R19 on the rear. They are Pirelli's and I've read many times that the Michelin PS4S are a big improvement so I will be changing all 4 tyres.

If I was to buy MPS4S 255/35/R20 for the front and 295/30/R20 for the rear, would they fit on the current vehicle size or would I need to replace the entire wheel?

This could be a really basic question but I'm new and rather confused by the idea. Thanks in advance.
You need to fit 19" tyres to a 19" wheel. If you want to fit 255/35/R20 then you will need to buy 20" wheels for them to fit on. You may be able to fit wider 19" tyres onto your rims but see the comments above
mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

The R19 is the size of your current wheels without tyres (wheel diameter/height = 19: inches). R20 tyres would need new 20 inch wheels, as the hole in the Tyre/doughnut is 1 inch bigger.

The 245/275 measurement is the width of the tyre, onto the road. The 40/35 measurement is the aspect ratio, not straightforward being a percentage of the tyre width.

Tyresize.com works out if different widths and aspect ratios are similar in circumference between tyres for each revolution i.e. the distance covered by one roll of the tyre. It also shows what the effect of slightly different sizing is on the speedometer reading.
2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post