Warn Brake Pads Warning

Anything F-Type related......
JFA

Post by JFA »

Had my 4 year service (at 43,000 miles) a couple of weeks ago. Health check recorded Front Pads @ 7mm & rear @ 4mm left.

A few hundred miles later and a warning message has appeared - Brake pads worn. Does anyone know:

Is the 4mm reported near to the limit? If so, should it have been advised as a job at the service?

If 4mm is not near the limit, how accurate is the warning on the dash?

Being an SVR should I stick with the original Jaguar pads when replacing - or is there a better option?

I've had the car since new, main dealer service all the way through, normal brakes (not Carbon Ceramic!) - I suspect this will cost a few quid!

Any advice, experience or views appreciated!
2016 Firesand SVR. Panoramic roof, carbon pack - 'Kitty' by name - travelling the UK with a big smile and a lot of noise!

simpleR

Post by simpleR »

The brake pad thickness sensor should trigger when below 4mm is remaining.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black, pano roof and thats about it 8-)
Philskill

Post by Philskill »

it could also be the health check looked at the outside Pad and the inside pad is actually worn further tripping the warning so worth getting it checked.
MY19 Carpathian Grey R-Dynamic P300, Black pack in and out, 12 way Memory seats, Climate Pack, Park assist, Meridian Surround, switchable exhaust.
JFA

Post by JFA »

Thanks both, that's useful to know. I'm certainly going to get it checked to avoid damaging the disks!
2016 Firesand SVR. Panoramic roof, carbon pack - 'Kitty' by name - travelling the UK with a big smile and a lot of noise!
Glaf

Post by Glaf »

JFA wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:47 pm Had my 4 year service (at 43,000 miles) a couple of weeks ago. Health check recorded Front Pads @ 7mm & rear @ 4mm left.

A few hundred miles later and a warning message has appeared - Brake pads worn. Does anyone know:

Is the 4mm reported near to the limit? If so, should it have been advised as a job at the service?

If 4mm is not near the limit, how accurate is the warning on the dash?

Being an SVR should I stick with the original Jaguar pads when replacing - or is there a better option?

I've had the car since new, main dealer service all the way through, normal brakes (not Carbon Ceramic!) - I suspect this will cost a few quid!

Any advice, experience or views appreciated!

It might be worth checking to see if the brake sensor wire has come out of its fixing and has been rubbing on the inner rim. If so it could have worn through causing a false alarm which happened to me recently. This wire is only fitted one side front and back on my model, not sure about yours.

Reference brake pads, I did quite a bit of research on this a few months ago mainly to try and reduce the high level of brake dust without compromising the performance and as a result the problem has now been solved.

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=4527
V6 Coupe, 2015, white with black pack, panoramic roof, 20" black Cylones, red callipers. 8-)
TVR Griffith 4.3, 1992, owned for 5 wonderful years.
Scorchio595

Post by Scorchio595 »

Prior to selling my V6S I had it serviced whiich they did a thorough check and indicated 50% wear on rear pads at 29k miles and advised the warning would show but fine for another 5k or so miles
Caldera Red MY19 V8 AWD R
JFA

Post by JFA »

It might be worth checking to see if the brake sensor wire has come out of its fixing and has been rubbing on the inner rim. If so it could have worn through causing a false alarm which happened to me recently. This wire is only fitted one side front and back on my model, not sure about yours.

Reference brake pads, I did quite a bit of research on this a few months ago mainly to try and reduce the high level of brake dust without compromising the performance and as a result the problem has now been solved.

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=4527
[/quote]

Thanks very much for this lots of interesting opinions and views - that'll save me quite a bit of time!

For what it's worth, took her out for a drive for the first time since the warning appeared and it has now cleared from both the car and the app. I'll probably drop it into the dealer to check all is well.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post