To Extend or Not???

Anything F-Type related......
Northnoble

Post by Northnoble »

Unbelievably it’s almost a year since I bought my F Type (2014 5.0s convertible with only 8,500 miles and immaculate)

Due to CV-19 I have only put about a 1,000 miles on her and if honest, not sure I have built full confidence with the car yet, due to lack of use. In fairness I am still learning all the oddities etc and getting to know the car. Not 100% sure if she’s a keeper, but as I have just bought a Porsche Macan S as my daily I think the Jag probably is, mainly because of the noise!!

Today the offer of extending the Jaguar warranty came through for £1016..... so do I?

Despite the low miles this year, the car has been serviced (no issues reported) but it did have to have some warranty work done...new door handle actuator.

Thoughts / opinions??
Jaguar F-Type 5.0s Convertible - Italian Racing Red, Gloss black wheels and trim
Porsche Macan S
Ariel Atom 3 300

Jaguandy

Post by Jaguandy »

If you can easily afford it, why not. Then you have peace of mind and recovery too. Or maybe you like to gamble, pretty good odds as these cars are usually reliable.
F-Type R Coupe Firenze (Italian Racing Red) AWD MY16
DaddyDarren

Post by DaddyDarren »

If all year round daily, yes. Weekend, sunny days only, keep money in bank.

As above bit of a gamble but rather 100% keep money in my account. Alternative is giving it to someone else & weirdly, hoping you get your monies worth 😂
White 2014 V6 Coupe
OEM P7 Grill
VAP Lowering Springs
VAP 200 Cell Cats & Downpipes
VAP Pulley & Stage II 453 BHP Remap
Vorsteiner 21” V-FF 103 Alloys
PB Brakes 8/6 Pot Drilled Big Brake Kit
wulliem12

Post by wulliem12 »

I personally wouldn't. I love my car, the looks, the sound, the drive, but I have had really bad experiences with Jaguar and their after sales/care.
About 6 months after I got my car, paint started to peel off the front bumper - viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3414&p=31765#p31765

I spoke to my local dealership (Glasgow, who are really good, no complaints with them) where I registered the car for servicing etc. (I purchased it from a Jaguar dealership in Doncaster).
I was expecting to get it fixed under the warranty, but after tests etc. they said they couldn’t help but I could contact Jaguar headquarters for further assistance. They were really positive to start with and I thought this is good. Fast forward a few months and a several emails later and they came to the conclusion that it was not a manufacturing fault, so they wouldn’t be fixing it under the warranty. No matter how many times I told them that I wasn’t arguing that it wasn’t a manufacturing fault, that I bought the car off a Jaguar Dealership in good faith, they couldn’t help me. The person who sold the car onto the Dealership could have covered a chip with a bad spray job or the Dealership covered it up. Anyway, I’m left with the cost of the repair. Shocking!
Adding to this, one of my Alloy wheels started to tarnish pretty badly a while back. Still within the Jaguar 2 year second hand warranty. And you’ve guessed it, it wouldn’t be fixed under this warranty, however, it would have been covered under the new car 3 year warranty (which had at that point just expired). Surprise Surprise!!
That Alloy was basically 3 and a half years old (when it started to get bad) and it is in a shocking state. Really poor quality.

Very disappointed with Jaguar and their warranties, so much so it has put me off purchasing any more Jaguar Vehicles. I was going to buy an F-Pace and few years down the line another F-Type, not now. I bought an Audi Q3 Fastback and in a few years I will be looking for another brand of sports car.
So, the answer to your question (after this long winded response and rant, which I apologise for) is, I would not extend it.
I am so frustrated because I love the car, it’s just left a rather bitter taste, shame.
I had extended warranties on all the sports cars I have owned. Luckily, with Honda I never had to claim on it (Hondas will run and run). I did have a problem with my Nissan 370, extended the warranty and had a problem with my driver window and it wasn’t covered!
So, I’m not a fan of warranties.
Obviously this is my opinion and experience, hopefully there are others on here who have had positive experiences which can help you come to a decision.
Present: F-Type 380 AWD S Convertible.
Past: Nissan 370Z. Honda S2000 (X2).
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

No such issues here.
Had replacement exhaust (sticking valves).
Replacement headlight washer pump (no spray).
Replacement quarter window trim (lifting up).
All sorted out. Mine was £869 with Jaguar assist and MOT Cover from Jaguar.

But mine is my daily driver so wanted piece of mind. If it was weekend toy and I had another car I wouldn't bother.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black, pano roof and thats about it 8-)
JurassicF

Post by JurassicF »

Mine is a sunny day toy, but already had diff seals replaced, new diff, windows and seals all done under warranty.
Unfortunately JLR warranty is far more expensive than the extended warranty will be on my Macan when it is due...but there is a reason for that and it is due to them not being as reliable and more warranty claims.
I decided, that for piece of mind, I will keep mine under extended warranty as I will with the Porsche. Maybe not the wisest investment but as I am going to keep her I don't have to factor in depreciation.
F-Type V6S convertible MY16
Glacier Pearlescent White
Red soft top
Red electric and heated sports seats
Black dash and door cards
Red belts
Flat bottom heated wheel
Northnoble

Post by Northnoble »

Thanks all....right now I am swaying towards taking the extended warranty as I don’t “trust” the car quite yet....I can handle a few hundred quid of issues not being covered, but a major issue would be a nightmare (especially on a non daily as the man maths run out pretty quickly!)

Decisions, decisions!!
Jaguar F-Type 5.0s Convertible - Italian Racing Red, Gloss black wheels and trim
Porsche Macan S
Ariel Atom 3 300
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Bear in mind that you pay it over 10 months and can cancel the remainder if you were to decide to sell the car.
It’s always a question of being lucky whichever way you go, which makes the decision a harder one.
Mine is (was!) a daily so it made sense to me and gave me protection for a 10 day road trip to Switzerland and Italy too.
I’m still about £15k in credit on the extended warranty 😳 so will be renewing it next year too.
The decision is of course so much easier if you’ve already dodged a bullet with it!
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
JurassicF

Post by JurassicF »

And some say that little used cars can be more fragile than daily drivers also😯😯
F-Type V6S convertible MY16
Glacier Pearlescent White
Red soft top
Red electric and heated sports seats
Black dash and door cards
Red belts
Flat bottom heated wheel
Northnoble

Post by Northnoble »

JurassicF wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:59 am And some say that little used cars can be more fragile than daily drivers also😯😯
Totally agree....
Porsche Macan S
Ariel Atom 3 300