Michelin Pilot sport 4S

Anything F-Type related......
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

apr1962 wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 11:44 pm Costco are running the £100 off deal. Usually very good prices on tyres. Need to be a member though.
I'm a member of Costco and my experience is that even when they run offers they don't work out the cheapest all in for supply, fit, balance, etc., but you may have to shop around
My local tyre fitter who will handle anything from budget ditch finders to hyper cars for dealers comes out better and ends up with the business. He even puts the car on their Hunter system FoC before he lets it out the shop. Charges only if a setting needs adjusting.
Would def go to Costco though even if I paid a little more rather than any of the national tyre depots who frankly don't seem to care about their work
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more

DavidS

Post by DavidS »

The ASDA suggestion has saved a few quid so thanks for that. Never thought they’d do tyres.

Are mobile tyre fitters best avoided or will they be fine to use?
scm

Post by scm »

I've used mobile tyre fitters since I started my Jaguar journey back in 2007 and have only had one duff one (2 if you count ATS who didn't bother to turn up and also didn't bother to tell me they weren't turning up - they're off my list forever, so well done you). All the others took a pride in their work and went out of my way to pander to my foibles (centre caps and locking nuts "correctly" aligned!) and were friendly and professional. Back in the day was E-Tyres who were taken over by AA-Tyres and my most recent experience (last month) was with Halfords (of all people!) who were exemplary. One advantage of mobile fitters (apart from the convenience) is you can get close and personal while they're working - you're not shut in a "safe" waiting area where you can't see what they're doing!
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Jaguandy

Post by Jaguandy »

I use ATS's shop for fitting after ordering from Black Circles, they balance the wheels properly and torque the nuts. It's the only place I can rely on round here to balance properly, I've had some poor results elsewhere.
F-Type R Coupe Firenze (Italian Racing Red) AWD MY16
JamesOC

Post by JamesOC »

I’m looking to replace my MPS4Ss soon. Rears are at 3mm, 2 years old and well over 20k miles ( I do drive it too much!). Fitted them when I got the car to replace P Zeroes it came with and am intending to get same again as they have been good.

My Question is about homogolated versions; the Merc and Porsche stamped ones are much cheaper than standard and there aren’t many dealers offering standard fronts. There are lots of opinions on these tyres but does anyone know if the standard ones are better for the F-Type, or can I happily fit other OE versions?

2nd I’ve also read some good reviews for the newish Bridgestone Potenza Sports. Anyone experienced these on an F-Type? I’ve had older versions of them on Audis in the past and they seemed fine, certainly lasted well; but can’t really compare that to my R.
MY20 R AWD Coupe, Portofino Blue
Previous: 2011 XK
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

JamesOC wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 9:29 am I’m looking to replace my MPS4Ss soon. Rears are at 3mm, 2 years old and well over 20k miles ( I do drive it too much!). Fitted them when I got the car to replace P Zeroes it came with and am intending to get same again as they have been good.

My Question is about homogolated versions; the Merc and Porsche stamped ones are much cheaper than standard and there aren’t many dealers offering standard fronts. There are lots of opinions on these tyres but does anyone know if the standard ones are better for the F-Type, or can I happily fit other OE versions?

2nd I’ve also read some good reviews for the newish Bridgestone Potenza Sports. Anyone experienced these on an F-Type? I’ve had older versions of them on Audis in the past and they seemed fine, certainly lasted well; but can’t really compare that to my R.
Have a read of this:
https://www.elitegarages.co.uk/2021/04/ ... ocess-work

My take on this topic is that if you choose 'standard' they are designed for any make and model within a chosen tyre sector of cars/performance and have a series of compromises to what a specific manufacturer wants on their branded version (comfort, ride, performance, wear, etc.), To a greater or lesser extent depending on how far they deviate from standard those badged for a different make will have characteristics to suit another car, so unlikely to be as good as standard on the F Type.
Would you notice day to day - I doubt it, unless closer to the limit, or on a track and tested back to back. Personally I'd never fit a tyre designed for another make of car. That said I'd fit any Michelin MPS4S over a stock Pirelli P Zero :)
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
scm

Post by scm »

cj10jeeper wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 10:36 amPersonally I'd never fit a tyre designed for another make of car. That said I'd fit any Michelin MPS4S over a stock Pirelli P Zero :)
But you'd fit a tyre designed for all makes of car?

I recently fitted Merc marked MPS4S to the back of mine since they were the only ones I could find - no generic ones to be had. Back in the day I had pothole damage to a Dunlop Maxx on an XKR and the fitter turned up with a generic one, not the J-marked one I'd ordered. When I complained he said "they're al the same anyway" and as I needed the tyre I accepted it, albeit grudgingly. The undamaged tyre on the other side was about half worn, and the new one, which had a completely different tread pattern, wore down completely in the time the part-worn J-marked on wore down, so no, they're not all the same. At least, that was the case with that Dunlop Maxx.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
01286p

Post by 01286p »

Herewith is the reply I received from Michelin.
I have to add that since fitting they provide a far superior ride/drive, cornering, directional stability, and surprisingly a quieter too.
It remains to be seen how they .

MICHELIN Pilot Sport 4 S appears as recommended summer tyre for your Jaguar F-Type. Please note that these tyres are not Jaguar homologated but in spite of this you can mount them.

We recommend going to a MICHELIN authorized dealer and providing the product number for the MICHELIN Pilot Sport 4 S for the front size, 255/35 ZR 20 97(Y) PILOT SPORT 4 S XL CAI (product number) 646881 and for the rear, 295/30 ZR 20 101(Y) PILOT SPORT 4 S XL CAI (product number) 835474. You can provide them the product number to make the search easier.

It is currently available in the front size, and for the rear it will become available from the 15th of February. We recommend contacting an authorized MICHELIN dealer who can provide information about prices and order this tyres directly from our warehouse. You can find a MICHELIN dealer through our dealer locator, https://www.michelin.co.uk/auto/dealer-locator

For additional information please contact us by email: contact@tc.michelin.eu, on our website http://www.michelin.co.uk/, our contact form http://www.michelin.co.uk/contact or by phone to 0845 366 1590 or 0845 366 1535.

MY17 V6S Coupe
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

scm wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 11:35 am
cj10jeeper wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 10:36 amPersonally I'd never fit a tyre designed for another make of car. That said I'd fit any Michelin MPS4S over a stock Pirelli P Zero :)
But you'd fit a tyre designed for all makes of car?
On this point absolutely. I would always take the generic over one a tyre designed for a different make of car. The compromises on the generic will be better than the tweaks done for another make and model. Hope this makes sense.

I still have vivid memories of when BMW fitted runflats on the original Z4 that were designed and tweaked for their heavier saloon cars. They were appalling and almost all owners swapped out to big brand non runflats
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
JamesOC

Post by JamesOC »

Thanks for the helpful comments.

As for the OE tyres, as far as I know the only jaguar rated ones are the P Zeroes and I swapped those out as they felt too slippy in both wet and dry; so I am still to be convinced that OE versions are necessarily better, but can I apply an inverse logic to using non Jaguar OEs on an F-Type R?

MPS4S 295 rears are c£310 as standards, and c£270 for Merc or Porsche OE. I can’t locate fronts and rears from the same dealers; none of the Michelin recommended dealers have both. And I don’t want to mix them up, but can buy fronts later as they are not worn down yet.

I am tempted to try the Potenza Sports; I think I read that they are OE for a couple of performance cars now (Maserati, Lamborghini) and BMW 8 series but that is probably marketing material. Any thoughts on those?
MY20 R AWD Coupe, Portofino Blue
Previous: 2011 XK

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post