MY 16 5 year service

Anything F-Type related......
scm

Post by scm »

RPSN wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:20 pm In this case, I assume that you also don't get any water coming in through the bonnet vents if your car is parked outside in the rain? Is that correct?
My F-type is parked outside all the iime and I don't have any issue with water ingress. Biggest issue is petrol egress! :lol:
On a side note, my two previous XKRs also had bonnet vents and they sat outside under several inches of snow at times without any problem.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!

RPSN

Post by RPSN »

scm wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:31 pm My F-type is parked outside all the time and I don't have any issue with water ingress.

As your F-Type is the AWD version and you’ve previously said that the bonnet vents are different to the RWD, perhaps this is one of the reasons that you don’t have any issue with water ingress?

With regards to the V6 RWD, water definitely enters through the 'open mesh' bonnet vents (which is normal) but it's getting to places where it shouldn't and is causing issues on some cars e.g. injector corrosion/failure etc.

The attached photos are from Lunar's V6 (which he posted earlier) and they show what the engine bay looks like after the car has been parked outside in the rain (mine is the same). They clearly show where water has entered through the vents (again, this is normal) and drips down onto the plastic engine covers etc.

If, by replacing the 'open mesh' vents with the 'shrouded' ones, it would resolve the water ingress issue on the V6 RWD, that would be great (providing it doesn't have a negative affect on the under bonnet temperature?), but as member GBH has already said that he has them factory fitted on his 66 plate MY17 V6 and they still allow water in, this would be pointless? Perhaps he could elaborate further on the subject?......this would be appreciated.

Although member Tel (V8 owner) has said....."Pointing the hose directly at the 'shrouded' vent at normal mains pressure didn't cause water to enter the engine bay", it would be beneficial if we could have further opinions from both V6 and V8 RWD owners who have the 'shrouded' bonnet vents fitted, to see whether or not they allow any water into the engine compartment e.g. onto the plastic engine covers etc? As far as I understand it, the 'shrouded' vents are exactly the same for the V6 RWD and V8 RWD and as Tel has said, they are interchangeable?

The original poster has 'open mesh' vents fitted on his V6 and he mentions....."Bolts on left bank seized - due to possible pressure washer detergent, freed up / replaced." He also asks the question....."does anyone know if the bonnet louvres can be covered when you wash, is there anything out there to do this?"

In this case I'd say we're still very much on topic as our aim is is to prevent water that enters the bonnet vents from causing unnecessary issues in the engine compartment.

1.JPG

2.JPG

Last edited by RPSN on Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid
gasgas

Post by gasgas »

why not try a ceramic coating the the exhaust headers and close off the vents?
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

I have the shrouded vents, my car doesnt live outside but has been caught out in the rain, i wash regularly with snow foam, pressure washer and hose and apart from maybe a drop or two of water it is bone dry.
Firesand Coupe R
Vossen HF-3 Satin Bronze
SVR Rear Spoiler
H&R springs
Oem Project 7 grill
VAP tune, upper and lower pulleys,
200 cell cats, induction kit.
Supersprint cat back valved back box
Loud, very loud lol
650-660 bhp
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

gasgas wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:38 am why not try a ceramic coating the the exhaust headers and close off the vents?

Personally, I don't think that closing off the vents is a good idea as Jaguar purposely designed them for both aesthetics and cooling/ventilation of the engine compartment.

As I mentioned earlier in this topic I’m currently experimenting with the large plastic cover that sits on top of the engine. This is to try and prevent water that enters through the bonnet vents from getting to places where it shouldn’t? I'll be posting what I've done soon.
Last edited by RPSN on Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Timbo wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:01 pm I have the shrouded vents, my car doesnt live outside but has been caught out in the rain, i wash regularly with snow foam, pressure washer and hose and apart from maybe a drop or two of water it is bone dry.

It's strange how some RWD cars with the 'shrouded' bonnet vents are allowing water into the engine compartment and others aren't?

I'd say it's inevitable that water will get in through the vents (even if it's a very small amount like your car) but that's not really an issue if it doesn't affect anything else.

On my own car it's quite normal for water to enter through the 'open mesh' bonnet vents i.e when it's raining (car isn't garaged) or when I wash the car, but instead of all the water running off the engine's plastic covers and away, some of it is getting to places where it shouldn't and this is causing issues on some cars e.g. injector corrosion/failure etc. I've had no issues like this yet but that's not to say it won't happen as time goes by?

Looking at the design of both the 'open mesh' and 'shrouded' vents, I'd say the 'open' ones will allow more water into the engine compartment but as they a have a larger 'open' surface area this should help further with cooling and ventilation.

I'm currently experimenting with an idea on the large plastic cover which sits on top of the engine. This may help to prevent water from getting to the injectors etc? If it works I'll be keeping the 'open mesh' bonnet vents on the car but if not I may fit a set of the 'shrouded' vents? Only thing is, by fitting the 'shrouded' vents, the engine top cover 'supercharged' badge wouldn't be visible through them and that's a nice little feature to have!
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
BobHarrington

Post by BobHarrington »

Just had my ‘15 V6 in for a service. The plugs were changed, and I was told they were corroded and I should have the V8 type of bonnet vents fitted, which duct the water away. I said please go ahead and fit them, only to be called back and told the V8 ducted vents cost £500 + VAT a pair. I said no thanks and I’ll see if I can find a cheaper solution.
If anyone finds a simple solution, I would be very interested.
scm

Post by scm »

MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Deleted User 3572

Post by Deleted User 3572 »

[attachment=0]20211004_113841_resized[497].jpg[/attachment] Another thread on this but here is a simple fix my friend and i rigged up . A cheap rubber car mat cut in half and holes punched then tied in place with cable ties , you can remove the engine cover and leave it in the garage this way it allows more air in and around the engine to let the heat out . total cost £5

20211004_113841_resized[497].jpg

RPSN

Post by RPSN »

BobHarrington wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:54 pm Just had my ‘15 V6 in for a service. The plugs were changed, and I was told they were corroded and I should have the V8 type of bonnet vents fitted, which duct the water away. I said please go ahead and fit them, only to be called back and told the V8 ducted vents cost £500 + VAT a pair. I said no thanks and I’ll see if I can find a cheaper solution.
If anyone finds a simple solution, I would be very interested.

This is what I've done on my car.

Easy to do and it's effective.

viewtopic.php?p=48965#p48965

viewtopic.php?p=49064#p49064
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid