MY 16 5 year service

Anything F-Type related......
scm

Post by scm »

Timbo wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:57 pm
scm wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:56 am
apr1962 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:15 pm I think the RWD R has the same vents as the V6. The AWD are the different ones.
You think right - it's the drive that makes the difference, not the engine.
Wrong im afraid guys, top pic is v6 and bottom is the R
Hardly wrong, I've been talking about the positioning of the vents, not the vents themselves. ;)
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!

RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Lunar wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:53 am And top ones aren’t my V6.
Mine have the covered section at the wide end as was posted on a similar thread.
Either a later design change or those are Fleabay knock offs.

The top photo that Timbo posted is the correct bonnet vent for my V6 S

The covered section that you mention at the wider end, is separate from the vents and is stuck to the bonnet.

I removed the passenger side vent yesterday to repair a small tear in the covered section (see photos which also show the reverse side of the vent etc).

The attached Jaguar diagram shows the separate vent components for VIN to K69263.

https://parts.jaguarlandroverclassic.co ... nd/jaguar/

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.jpg

5.png

2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Ah, that makes more sense now.

....interesting use of the word decal.

I'm not sure any of them have anything printed on them - and 7 and 8 look more like gaskets / water membranes in a door panel from the diagram.
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

As you can see, yours are probably the same. You would think the bonnet vents and undercovers are one piece until you actually remove the vents.

I’ve never heard the undercovers described as ‘decals’ but now we know! There’s nothing printed on mine and they are better left plain in my opinion as the engine cover ‘supercharged’ badge is visible through the bonnet vents which is nice. The decals numbered 7 & 8 on the diagram are the SVR versions and there’s a fair bit more to them.
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Apologies to the OP that we've wavered somewhat off the original subject.

...and not sure how sad it is that something as inert as a plastic vent is causing so much interest and intrigue!

So in my lunch break today I popped out to check the brake fluid level, having replaced the front and rear pads at the weekend - and as it had been raining I took the below photos whilst the bonnet was up.

It looks like the placement of the vents is at possibly the worst point with regard to setting things up for corroded injectors. That being the case I will definitely be removing the engine cover again come spring and quicker warm up times, to get that bit more supercharger whine.

Also notice that on my car the decal doesn't cover off part of the open vent - there is solid bonnet under it. This looks to be a different punching to the photo RPSN posted above. Curiouser and curiouser as Alice might proclaim.

IMG_8595.JPG

IMG_8596.JPG

IMG_8598.JPG

IMG_8597.JPG

MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

@Lunar

I’m not sure what year your car is as I recall you saying it was an earlier model, but this isn't included in your signature. However, your bonnet vents and decals are identical to my V6 S (MY 2016).

Looking at your under bonnet photo of the passenger side vent, in the black oval shape just above it (which is part of the underside of the decal) there is a small split/tear in the decal which is exactly the same as mine was until I recently fixed it (see my previous post). This is letting even more water into your car’s engine bay!

I’m currently experimenting with the large plastic top cover of the engine to try and prevent water that enters through the bonnet vents from getting to places where it shouldn’t.

I’ll create a new topic on this in the next few days.
Last edited by RPSN on Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:19 am, edited 4 times in total.
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
Tel

Post by Tel »

@Timbo, you are correct the V8R has the 'shrouded' as opposed to the open mesh version.

If anyone is having water issues, the shrouded type are fine and relatively cheap and interchangeable.

The AWD versions are a different shape completely so are not interchangeable.
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Tel wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:09 pm @Timbo, you are correct the V8R has the 'shrouded' as opposed to the open mesh version.

If anyone is having water issues, the shrouded type are fine and relatively cheap and interchangeable.

The AWD versions are a different shape completely so are not interchangeable.

In relation to Timbo’s post which included the photos of both types of vents (shrouded and open mesh), member GBH has said......”I have the bottom ones on my 66 / MY17 V6 Factory fit too. I still get water in.”

The ‘bottom ones’ he refers to are the shrouded type.

I've been thinking about changing the vents to the 'shrouded' type but after seeing this comment it doesn't appear to be worth it?
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
Tel

Post by Tel »

As I posted earlier...Pointing the hose directly at the 'shrouded' vent at normal mains pressure didn't cause water to enter the engine bay.
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

I did see your post.

In this case, I assume that you also don't get any water coming in through the bonnet vents if your car is parked outside in the rain? Is that correct?

As member GBH has said that water still enters through the ‘shrouded’ vents on his V6, I wonder why this is different to your V8 as the vents are the same as far as I'm aware? What's your opinion on this?
Last edited by RPSN on Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post