3 LTR version

Anything F-Type related......
356boy

Post by 356boy »

Hi, just joined the forum as i am due to view a 65 plate 3 ltr version on Tuesday, 28k miles FJSH and 1 owner, it does seem to be loaded with optional extras, pan roof, 20" wheels, black pack, rear camera, switchable exhaust, sports seats and the exterior design pack, in Italian racing red. questions are
1 Is the basic 3 ltr adequate or lacking in power
2 Any major problems with the 65 year cars i should look out for
3 Will it have the nice exhaust rumble of the bigger engine cars
thanks

DaddyDarren

Post by DaddyDarren »

Hello 356boy,

Welcome to the fold. Sounds like you’re making a very sensible purchase in terms of previous history & mileage.

1. Yes & No but you have option to add on power as required. Have a look at David Appleby Engineering & Velocity AP to whet your appetite.

2. Check the ASSE actually works. Search on here for further information. Upon initial cold start up listen for high pitched squeak. Rear diff oil leak. Known issue & most cars your age will have been fixed by now, especially with Jaguar service history.

3. It will never sound like a V8. Best option is 200 Cell Sport Cats coupled with your OEM switchable exhaust. You get the very best of both worlds.

Lots of experienced, knowledgeable, long term owners on here. Pictures would be good 👍
White 2014 V6 Coupe
OEM P7 Grill
VAP Lowering Springs
VAP 200 Cell Cats & Downpipes
VAP Pulley & Stage II 453 BHP Remap
Vorsteiner 21” V-FF 103 Alloys
PB Brakes 8/6 Pot Drilled Big Brake Kit
mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

1. It depends on what you want or care used to. If you're not going to track it the 340 V6 is no slouch for road use. You can max the revs and noise more often without getting into monster speeds.

2. Check the rear cross braces for rust. They are steel and poorly painted on early cars so can corrode badly particularly when used on salted roads. Mine were coated with ACF50 at 3 years old and are still in pretty good nick, but probably need recoating now.

3. Doesn't rumble like a V8, but has a snarl from startup and will howl like an F1 car at the top end.

One owner car, with full history and low miles sounds good. I have the same car pretty much and I'd only consider changing it for an SVR purely for the sound.
2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR
NavigatorNI

Post by NavigatorNI »

Hi 356boy,

Firstly, welcome to the forum.

Last year I bought a 15 plate 3ltr V6S, 380PS, with similar mileage to the one you're considering and am extremely happy with it.

To answer your questions, in my opinion:

1. My V6S has plenty of power. I suppose it depends on what you are used to driving;

2. Look for rust on the rear subframe, apparently a lot of these were replaced under warranty.
Confirm the rear differential oil has been changed. It is due for change at the four year service but can be missed.
Check for scratches on door windows, caused by early, poorly designed seals. (This may only apply to earlier cars.)
Check and decide which options you want. The only option I'm missing which I wish I had is the Dual Climate Zones.
Have a drive in the car you're considering to get a feel for the power yourself.

3. As DaddyDarren says, it will never sound like a V8, but IMO the V6 sounds superb and you can increase the noise (and grins) by using Dynamic Mode or the switchable exhausts. :D That age of car will have escaped the tighter noise restrictions applied to later models :lol:

In summary, I've been very happy with my V6S and really enjoy driving it.

Good luck.
V6S Coupé, RWD, MY16
Salsa Red
20" Turbine silver alloys
Lots of extras
Lots of noise
Lots of smiles :D :D :D
356boy

Post by 356boy »

Thanks for the replies, i can't seem to post pictures but its the red one at Alpha motors Wigan
scm

Post by scm »

To post pictures, go into Full Editor & Preview, click Attachments, then Add Files and follow the instructions ....
And welcome to the forum!
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Personally I’d go for the V6S being more sought after, unless you really like the spec of the car your looking at and little else matters
The S has more power a LSD and typically much higher spec than the base 340 as buyers tend to spec up the S
Early V6’s sound awesome, but it’s not a V8. If you want a V8 then this is a big mistake to buy before you try both
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
scm

Post by scm »

cj10jeeper wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:52 amIf you want a V8 then this is a big mistake to buy before you try both
And if you want a V6 it's a big mistake to try the V8 before you buy. :lol:
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

scm wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:02 am
cj10jeeper wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:52 amIf you want a V8 then this is a big mistake to buy before you try both
And if you want a V6 it's a big mistake to try the V8 before you buy. :lol:
Haha - cannot deny that
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
356boy

Post by 356boy »

scm wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:44 am To post pictures, go into Full Editor & Preview, click Attachments, then Add Files and follow the instructions ....
And welcome to the forum!
full editor, where do i find that

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post