F-Type attempted theft

Anything F-Type related......
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Cluck wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:42 am I can only assume that the continual removal and re-insertion of the key wears away the protective layers, leaving the key vulnerable.

I’ll second that 👍
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid

PhilB

Post by PhilB »

Some of the pouches have two sections only one of which is shielded.
This allows you to have the key active in the pouch if you choose to keep it in there whilst driving.
A lot of people were complaining the pouch wasn't working and had the key in the wrong part.
I agree it's a good idea to check them as the gold material can wear off after repeated use.
Might sound daft but a good way to always have a spare pouch if you buy them in pairs is to wrap the spare key in a couple of layers of kitchen foil.
Works perfectly and you will have a spare if you need it.
Looks nice and shiny too.................. ;)
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

@PhilB

My Faraday pouches have the two sections but I’ve never used the unshielded bit as my key is kept outside the pouch (adjoined by the split ring) when driving the car. I place it in the centre console cup holder compartment and have to fold the pouch for it to fit in.

Thinking about this, it’s probably a contributing factor to the pouch losing its shielding properties, through folding and unfolding. From now on I’ll try placing the key inside the unshielded section of the pouch when driving and keep it elsewhere (where I don’t have to fold it).

I keep my spare key at home in a separate pouch which is rarely used but your kitchen foil tip is a good idea to ensure the spare pouch is unused and in tip-top condition for when required. I’ll be doing this.

Just sat in the car and tested the spare key wrapped with kitchen foil......it shielded the key perfectly and the car wouldn’t start 👍
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

I'm really not sure of the purpose of all the messing with faraday pouches. For sure the concept is good, but all you need to do is turn off comfort access then the attempted theft by the signal boosting devices doesn't work. These days I just use the blip function to open the door, rather than pressing the door button

If I've missed something very happy to be enlightened as my RR lives outside and F Type some days
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
Jaguandy

Post by Jaguandy »

If you can tell us how to switch off comfort access, you would be a hero to many.
F-Type R Coupe Firenze (Italian Racing Red) AWD MY16
scm

Post by scm »

cj10jeeper wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:32 pmThese days I just use the blip function to open the door, rather than pressing the door button
I had to use my fob yesterday as the door button had frozen and woildn't push in!
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

cj10jeeper wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:32 pm I'm really not sure of the purpose of all the messing with faraday pouches. For sure the concept is good, but all you need to do is turn off comfort access then the attempted theft by the signal boosting devices doesn't work. These days I just use the blip function to open the door, rather than pressing the door button

If I've missed something very happy to be enlightened as my RR lives outside and F Type some days

I don’t have keyless entry, therefore no button is on the door handle.

I previously posted this link as it contains information on why you should shield the keys even if you don't have keyless entry viewtopic.php?f=21&t=4474

For those who do have keyless entry, the link also explains how to disable and enable it. Apparently this works on some cars but not on others?

You mention that......“all you need to do is turn off comfort access then the attempted theft by the signal boosting devices doesn't work.” Is this the same procedure as stated in the link above or is it something different? If it’s different, could you explain the details?
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Jaguandy wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:28 pm If you can tell us how to switch off comfort access, you would be a hero to many.
New Year”s eve, so I’ll post more tomorrow, but the linked process works perfectly and just to be sure I switched comfort on and then back off tonight. Worked first time..

Right now I can post more and get in the bad books of Mrs CJ, which won’t make for a good start, or log on tomorrow, so Happy New Year to all :)
Last edited by cj10jeeper on Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

So as briefly posted last night the linked method works perfectly to disable keyless entry. (If anyone needs guidance then let me know as I’ve set and unset many times and it’s easy to mess the steps up as we don’t always read and follow properly)
Therefore the ‘relay theft’ method will not work to open the car
Would-be thieves would have to smash the window to gain entry, but their MO is silence and speed
The car remains alarmed and protected, so attempting to use the relay theft inside won’t work. Tested by locking my car, window open, and reaching in with key to see if the ignition operates contactlessly and it doesn’t

IMHO with comfort access off, noise to break windows and then need to use OBD access, then my car is safe enough. F types are not a frequently stolen car as there is little demand (compared to others like RR). I remain happy not messing with faraday pouches. If someone really wants the car they will get it another way by burglary, knocking on the door, fake accident, etc.
BTW - I have a hefty steering lock in the boot for times I leave the car in airports...
I’m not advising anyone to do different, but merely asked a question to see if I’d missed something and seemingly not
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
scm

Post by scm »

Great post, cj10jeeper, thanks for sharing.

One question: operating the headlamp button 3 times on my previous XKR set off the panic alarm - does it work that way on the F-Type, too? I can't find any reference to panic alarms in the handbook.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post