F-Type attempted theft

Anything F-Type related......
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

I’m glad it was only attempted theft and not a successful theft. The fact that my car doesn’t have keyless entry probably helped?

I apply a steering wheel lock to both of my cars as it’s a good visible deterrent which could make a thief think twice. I’ve also detached the OBD port/socket and made it much more difficult to reach.

Even though I don't have keyless entry on the F-Type, I still keep both sets of keys in faraday pouches and as member Cluck has said......”Always worth checking it's working by putting the key in the pouch, put the pouch in your pocket and then seeing if the door opens - and don't forget to test this every once in a while as the pouches will wear and losing their protection.”

Another test I sometimes do when sitting inside the car is to put the key fob into the faraday pouch then try starting the car, just to ensure the pouch is doing its job properly.

Be vigilant gents!
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid

Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

RPSN wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:06 pm Even though I don't have keyless entry on the F-Type, I still keep both sets of keys in faraday pouches
I have another car that has keyless entry and I keep those keys in faraday pouches. I deliberately did not option keyless on the FT due to the vulnerability. What’s the advantage of keeping my Jag keys in faraday pouches if I (like you) don’t have keyless entry? Is it against accidental button pressing? TIA
Malbec

Post by Malbec »

If you double lock the car it is impossible to open the doors after breaking a window.
17MY V6S AWD Coupé Ammonite grey.
UAD wireless CarPlay.
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

But easy enough to lean / crawl in, access the obd port and take the car if an early one.
Double locked doors add a level of delay at best, for the determined low life.
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

I found a cheap simple but effective OBD lock on ebay, for my Abarth last year. Unfortunately the seller doesn't appear to have them anymore.

OBDlock.png

Not too difficult to fabricate. It's basically a 10cm long piece of 3.5cm wide box section steel. There's a slot cut part way down the middle of one off the sides that enables the OBD port and its cable to be slid inside the box. A padlock then goes through two holes drilled at 90 degrees, near the open end of the slot, to prevent the OBD from being removed.

I wrapped some tape around the wire before sliding itinside the box to prevent ant chafing and zip tied the box up behind where the port used to sit.
2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

GusA wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:29 am
RPSN wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:06 pm Even though I don't have keyless entry on the F-Type, I still keep both sets of keys in faraday pouches
I have another car that has keyless entry and I keep those keys in faraday pouches. I deliberately did not option keyless on the FT due to the vulnerability. What’s the advantage of keeping my Jag keys in faraday pouches if I (like you) don’t have keyless entry? Is it against accidental button pressing? TIA

Wise choice not to have keyless entry on your F-Type.

Accidental button pressing is one of the reasons to keep the keys (and spare keys) stored inside good faraday pouches as this will prevent the key fob signal reaching the car.

Have a read through the link as it contains information on why you should shield the keys even if you don't have keyless entry and why a visible deterrent such as a steering wheel lock is beneficial.

For those who do have keyless entry, the link also explains how to disable and enable it. Apparently this works on some cars but not on others?

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=4474
Last edited by RPSN on Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

Thanks. Interesting read
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

👍
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Cluck wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:21 pm Definitely worth highlighting that last part, about the keys inside the house. That's been a common theft technique, to relay from the house key, so it's definitely worth getting a couple of those bags. Note that some of them have 2 pouches, but only one of them is good for keys, the other is an RFID blocker for credit / debit cards. Always worth checking it's working by putting the key in the pouch, put the pouch in your pocket and then seeing if the door opens - and don't forget to test this every once in a while as the pouches will wear and losing their protection.

This reminded me to test my Faraday pouches to ensure they shield the keys properly (the last time I did it was approx 12 months ago).

Whilst sitting in the car I placed the regular key inside the pouch, foot on brake pedal and pressed ignition button.......low and behold the car started!

Binned the defective pouch and replaced with brand new one which is working fine.

Did the same test with my spare key and Faraday pouch and all ok.

I’ll be testing them more regularly in future........worth checking folks!
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
Cluck

Post by Cluck »

I only found out because my father's Honda Civic, which has keyless entry, allowed him to open his door whilst his fob was still in the pouch. I can only assume that the continual removal and re-insertion of the key wears away the protective layers, leaving the key vulnerable.
MY21 F-Type P450 R Dynamic in Portofino Blue, Black Exterior Pack, Performance Seats, Suede headlining (with Blur as support act)

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post