F-Type attempted theft

Anything F-Type related......
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

When returning to my car after recently doing some evening food shopping at my local supermarket, I was approached by a gentleman who asked if the car was mine. I told him it was and he informed me that a person had walked up to the car and pressed/brushed (a few times) against the passenger door handle with their hand in their pocket. This gentleman said it looked very suspicious so he approached the person concerned and asked if the car was his but he walked away without answering.

I thanked the gentleman for what he did as many people turn a blind eye to such things in case of any repercussions.

I would imagine that the person that did this had some sort of key fob or gadget in his pocket which may have been able to unlock the car. Thankfully mine doesn’t have keyless entry so perhaps this made it more difficult? I also have a decent car steering wheel lock which I religiously fit every time I leave the car unattended for longer periods and although a thief could still remove this, it would slow the theft process down.

In a way, I’m glad I didn’t see the ‘scumbag’ doing this to my car as I would have blown my lid!

Just a heads up to be vigilant as we don’t always know who’s on the prowl!
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid

Cluck

Post by Cluck »

Glad, in a way, to read that this was "only" an attempted theft. What you've described does sound like that person was scanning for keyless entry and it's things like this that made me leave that option off my car when I specced it. As much as it's convenient to walk up to the car, without getting the key out, I don't have to worry about things like this. Somewhat ironically, however, my father's Honda Civic does have it and he keeps his key in an RFID packet when he's not in the car, so he still has to get the key out to get into the car!

Like yourself, I have a very visible wheel lock fitted whenever I park up somewhere (even on the driveway, where it is blocked in by another car and monitored by a security camera), as every visible deterrent helps in my book.

Oh and there's nothing of value left in the car at any time, so even if some scrotes did break in, they would quickly find it was a waste of their efforts.
MY21 F-Type P450 R Dynamic in Portofino Blue, Black Exterior Pack, Performance Seats, Suede headlining (with Blur as support act)
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

In earlier cars, there is less security in the OBD port.

It's a good idea to remove it from the mounting bracket and tuck it in behind the end panel of the dashboard. That way if someone breaks a window they can't access it and gain control of the electric steering lock and ignition.

Or alternatively buy a port lock.
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
Derivative

Post by Derivative »

Lunar wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:31 am In earlier cars, there is less security in the OBD port.
When did it change? Do you know what was done to increase security?
MY2018 R-Dynamic 340 coupe
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Not totally sure but might have been with MY16 - an additional control unit was introduced to require a handshake, as I understand it.

Others might be able to quote a VIN number change maybe.
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

I documented the VIN number change on here after an actual theft from a Birmingham car park.
I will try and find.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black, pano roof and thats about it 8-)
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

That would be great info. to repost - many thanks.
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

Copied from my previous post. Unsure whether it is relevant.

There was a change to how keys were coded in 2015 which affects OBD port.

The older system is on cars 00001 to 08869 and allows non Jaguar dealers to programme keys.
So in theory, if you have an older car you could break the window and then use the OBD port to code a new key to use to drive the car away with.

08870 and later should be the later system where keys cannot be added via the OBD port without replacing other hardware components. Hence you cannot use the OBD port to start the car.

All cars are vulnerable to relay attacks for cars with keyless entry so I keep mine (and the spare key) in faraday black pouches from Amazon when in the house.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black, pano roof and thats about it 8-)
Cluck

Post by Cluck »

^^ Definitely worth highlighting that last part, about the keys inside the house. That's been a common theft technique, to relay from the house key, so it's definitely worth getting a couple of those bags. Note that some of them have 2 pouches, but only one of them is good for keys, the other is an RFID blocker for credit / debit cards. Always worth checking it's working by putting the key in the pouch, put the pouch in your pocket and then seeing if the door opens - and don't forget to test this every once in a while as the pouches will wear and losing their protection.
MY21 F-Type P450 R Dynamic in Portofino Blue, Black Exterior Pack, Performance Seats, Suede headlining (with Blur as support act)
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

And don’t forget your spare key!

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post