F-Type attempted theft

Anything F-Type related......
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

scm wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:12 am Great post, cj10jeeper, thanks for sharing.

One question: operating the headlamp button 3 times on my previous XKR set off the panic alarm - does it work that way on the F-Type, too? I can't find any reference to panic alarms in the handbook.
Thanks for the comment
Doesn't set off panic alarm on mine when blipped inside the car. Didn't try it outside the car, which I guess is when you'd use such a function
Try it and see as I guess you just have to press unlock to silence it.
Note that where I used to go wrong on deactivating comfort was that it's 3 blips of the headlight button then the unlock button all with key inside the car
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more

PhilB

Post by PhilB »

The OBD port should only be vulnerable on cars older than 2015.
In 2015 JLR changed the system so that the OBD is taken out of the equation.
I can't confirm when that happened for the F-Type but the new system has a separate module that will only talk to the two original keys.
You can't clone any new ones.
If you lose one you will get stung for two new keys and a new module as others have found to their cost elsewhere.
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Thankfully, I don’t have keyless entry on my car but the ignition is keyless.

Advanced relay theft kits and other such devices could fool the car into thinking the key's inside the vehicle. *** * ***** ***** ** ** ** **** ***** ** *** *** ** ******** *** ****** ** ******* *** **** **** *** ***** ******* *** ********. The fact that the alarm will have been activated in the process of entering the car doesn't deter some thieves.

This is why I will always shield my keys with Faraday pouches etc and also why I religiously fit my steering wheel lock when my car is left unattended.

For those who have keyless entry and wish to disable or enable it, these are the instructions from the link that I previously posted viewtopic.php?f=21&t=4474

“What is Relay Theft?

Relay Theft is the process criminals use to steal a car with keyless entry. Firstly, they buy a relay amplifier and a relay transmitter; these electronic devices can be purchased easily on the internet.

Next, they identify a house with a nice car parked outside and by using these devices, one criminal then stands by the car with his transmitter, while a second, with his receiver walks around the perimeter of the house. If the car key is close enough the receiver will detect its signal, amplify it and send it to the accomplice’s transmitter.

The accomplice’s transmitter then effectively becomes the key, and the car then thinks the real key is nearby, where upon the thief is able to open the car, get in and drive away. The whole process can take as little as 60 seconds and can be completed in near silence.

With the keyless system switched off it is impossible for someone to open your vehicle using this method.

1. Open driver's door (using fob)
2. Key fob inside car
3. Press headlamp button on the key fob 3 times
4. Press unlock button on the key fob once
5. Keys outside car
6. Close driver's door
7. Lock car using the fob
8. Unlock car using the fob

Same procedure again to re-enable it, except press the lock button at step 4.

You have to make sure (I think) you first unlock and then re-lock the car with the fob, not the keyless button on the door.

Your car is now more secure."

And here’s a video instruction......

Edit: I've now removed some of the vehicle security information that I provided in this post, in case it gets into the wrong hands e.g. a car thief!
Last edited by RPSN on Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

RPSN wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:22 pm
Advanced relay theft kits etc could fool the car into thinking the key's inside the vehicle. All a thief needs to do is gain entry to the car by breaking the window or forcing the door open etc before starting the ignition. The fact that the alarm will have been activated in the process of entering the car doesn't deter some thieves.
According to the manual only after unlocking the door does the car search for a smart key, so breaking the window and placing a relay theft kit inside won't work. I've tested this per my earlier post, leaving the window open though rather than breaking it :)
Separately I'll gamble 10:1 the ignition won't activate until a key unlocks the door and resets the system if the alarm has been sounded

End of the day each to their own and even without keyless entry some may prefer to use the faraday pouches. Personally I consider for the right thief after a specific selected car nothing will stop them taking it one way or another. I'm sure the 7 year old F Type of mine is less attractive to chop or ship out than my fairly new RR sat in front of it :)
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

cj10jeeper wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:24 pm According to the manual only after unlocking the door does the car search for a smart key, so breaking the window and placing a relay theft kit inside won't work. I've tested this per my earlier post, leaving the window open though rather than breaking it :)
Separately I'll gamble 10:1 the ignition won't activate until a key unlocks the door and resets the system if the alarm has been sounded

End of the day each to their own and even without keyless entry some may prefer to use the faraday pouches. Personally I consider for the right thief after a specific selected car nothing will stop them taking it one way or another. I'm sure the 7 year old F Type of mine is less attractive to chop or ship out than my fairly new RR sat in front of it :)

As an advanced relay theft kit etc could fool the car into thinking the key is inside the vehicle, if a thief forced their way into the car by breaking the window or prising the door open (which would active the alarm siren and horn), *** **** **** ** ** ** **** *** ******** ****** *** *** ***** ** **** *** ** **** ********** *** ***** ***** *** ******** **** *****.

As I mentioned earlier, even though I don’t have keyless entry, both sets of my keys are shielded with Faraday bags and I always fit my steering wheel lock when the vehicle is left unattended for long periods as it’s an extra layer of security which is also a visible deterrent.

The more you can do to help prevent your vehicle from being stolen, the better!

I will be removing some of my information from this forum topic in the next couple of days as I feel it’s giving away too much for a potential thief! ;)

Edit: I've now removed some of the vehicle security info that I provided in this post, in case it gets into the wrong hands e.g. a car thief!
Last edited by RPSN on Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Sorry but your repeated posting of the almost same comments doesn’t make it right. It s clear the that you prefer faraday pouches and a safety lock and that’s fine. We all make personal choices
That said pushing a piece of tech through a broken window won’t make the car start. If you can point me to any piece of evidence to the contrary I’d be delighted to read it.
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

cj10jeeper wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:11 pm Sorry but your repeated posting of the almost same comments doesn’t make it right. It s clear the that you prefer faraday pouches and a safety lock and that’s fine. We all make personal choices
That said pushing a piece of tech through a broken window won’t make the car start. If you can point me to any piece of evidence to the contrary I’d be delighted to read it.

In your previous reply you said.......”According to the manual only after unlocking the door does the car search for a smart key, so breaking the window and placing a relay theft kit inside won't work. I've tested this per my earlier post, leaving the window open though rather than breaking it. Separately I'll gamble 10:1 the ignition won't activate until a key unlocks the door and resets the system if the alarm has been sounded.”

The relay theft test you did was obviously not thorough enough! I wouldn’t like to take any money from you but your offer of a gamble would prove to be futile!

I’ll say this to you again as it doesn’t appear to have sunk in......

As an advanced relay theft kit etc could fool the car into thinking the key is inside the vehicle, if a thief forced their way into the car by breaking the window or prising the door open (which would active the alarm siren and horn), *** **** **** ** ** ** **** *** ******** ****** *** *** ***** ** **** *** ** **** ********** *** ***** ***** *** ******** **** *****.

Faraday pouches and a steering wheel lock for me every time as they add two extra layers of security to my car!

Edit: I've now removed some of the vehicle security information that I provided in this post, in case it gets into the wrong hands e.g. a car thief!
Last edited by RPSN on Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

RPSN
Shame you have to ignore what I ask or say which was all about evidence and just repeat things like ‘could’ with no factual support and then use derogatory language like ‘not sunk in’’, so I’ll say no more and leave yo to it
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

cj10jeeper wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:22 am RPSN
Shame you have to ignore what I ask or say which was all about evidence and just repeat things like ‘could’ with no factual support and then use derogatory language like ‘not sunk in’’, so I’ll say no more and leave yo to it

It’s a shame that you cannot accept the relay theft test you did was inadequate and your offer of a gamble would prove to be futile i.e.......”According to the manual, only after unlocking the door does the car search for a smart key, so breaking the window and placing a relay theft kit inside won't work. I've tested this per my earlier post, leaving the window open though rather than breaking it. Separately I'll gamble 10:1 the ignition won't activate until a key unlocks the door and resets the system if the alarm has been sounded.”

I have twice provided you with results of a test I did on my vehicle which proves this to be incorrect. This is due to the fact that if the car window was broken or the door was forced open *** ** ******** ****** ***** *** *** *** ****** *** *** **** ******** *** *** ** ****** *** *******, *** ***** *** ** *********** *** *** ******** *** ***** **** ** *** *** ***** **** ********. **** ** **** ** ******** *** ******** ****** *** ********** *** ***** *****.

My posts have explained how a potential thief recently tried to enter/steal my car whilst it was parked in my local supermarket car park and I’ve mentioned the fact that as I don’t have keyless entry and I use a steering wheel lock, this may have helped prevent my vehicle from being stolen on that occasion. I’ve also said that to take extra security precaution I use a Faraday pouch to shield my keys.

Speaking of derogatory comments I will refer to what you’ve previously said which is “all the messing with faraday pouches” and “your repeated posting of the almost same comments doesn’t make it right” and “If you can point me to any piece of evidence to the contrary I’d be delighted to read it.”

Take heed of the saying as shown in the image below......

All the best ;)

1.jpg

Last edited by RPSN on Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
PhilB

Post by PhilB »

I think this is getting things nowhere so let's agree to disagree and leave out any personal swipes.
Thanks.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post