F-Type attempted theft

Anything F-Type related......
Cluck

Post by Cluck »

I've double-locked the car every single time since I got it, it's a habit I've got into with all my cars over the years.

I haven't tried it yet (because of that habit I'm in) but what I don't know is whether double-locking also means you have to double-unlock to get the passenger door open. I know I have to do that when I've double-locked but I simply haven't tried when single-locking. My car is also under its cover at the moment (and it's belting it down with rain) so I can't go and check myself.
MY21 F-Type P450 R Dynamic in Portofino Blue, Black Exterior Pack, Performance Seats, Suede headlining (with Blur as support act)

RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Cluck wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:50 am I've double-locked the car every single time since I got it, it's a habit I've got into with all my cars over the years.

I haven't tried it yet (because of that habit I'm in) but what I don't know is whether double-locking also means you have to double-unlock to get the passenger door open. I know I have to do that when I've double-locked but I simply haven't tried when single-locking. My car is also under its cover at the moment (and it's belting it down with rain) so I can't go and check myself.

That’s a good habit you've got into.

Just tried it on my car and by double locking doesn’t mean you have to double unlock to get the passenger door open. A single press on the key fob unlock button unlocks both doors.
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid
Cluck

Post by Cluck »

I maybe should have a look through the in-car settings, it might be in there, as the default behaviour on mine right now is that a single press definitely only opens the driver door, I have to press it twice to unlock both doors. I'll have a look at the Jaguar online manual (it annoys me intensely that they don't provide a book)

EDIT: It is indeed a setting that can be changed. Mine is clearly in the "2-Stage Unlocking" setting.
MY21 F-Type P450 R Dynamic in Portofino Blue, Black Exterior Pack, Performance Seats, Suede headlining (with Blur as support act)
scm

Post by scm »

Cluck wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:50 amI haven't tried it yet (because of that habit I'm in) but what I don't know is whether double-locking also means you have to double-unlock to get the passenger door open. I know I have to do that when I've double-locked but I simply haven't tried when single-locking. My car is also under its cover at the moment (and it's belting it down with rain) so I can't go and check myself.
Double unlocking has nothing ro do with double locking. It's called two-stage unlocking and if set, unlocks only the drivers door on the first unlock. If you turn it off both doors unlock on the first unlock. It's a security thing to prevent a thief hopping in the passenger side when you unlock the driver's door.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Cluck

Post by Cluck »

Yup, sorry, edited my post accordingly. I wasn't aware that there was an alternative, I just got used to pressing it twice to 'fully lock' and twice to 'fully unlock' without realising that they were independent of each other. I've really not had enough seat time to get to know the car fully, no thanks in part to Covid but also for the main reason I bought the car in the first place.
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Cluck wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:28 pm I maybe should have a look through the in-car settings, it might be in there, as the default behaviour on mine right now is that a single press definitely only opens the driver door, I have to press it twice to unlock both doors. I'll have a look at the Jaguar online manual (it annoys me intensely that they don't provide a book)

EDIT: It is indeed a setting that can be changed. Mine is clearly in the "2-Stage Unlocking" setting.

Yep, as shown here......

2-STAGE UNLOCKING on your car MY21

SINGLE AND MUTI-POINT ENTRY on my car MY16

44.png

45.png

Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
Gibson

Post by Gibson »

Wrap up update:

New window fitted by Autoglass - excellent service, they even came out the day prior to fitting to see about securing the window better than I had. Not feasible due to the lack of a door frame but a great gesture from them anyway.

Faraday pouches sorted along with a Stoplock Pro Elite steering lock - I may swap this for just a Pro instead for a tighter fit to the wheel.

I'm concerned there may be a return since it feels like a "theft to order" due to the unusual nature of the car vs usual car thefts at the moment so I'm getting CCTV sorted out.

I'm exploring a Ghost unit to block the OBD-theft approach but I feel it's getting into the territory that if they want the car that badly then I'd rather it just go than have to have a face-face "discussion" about the passcode for a fully insured item...
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Gibson wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:42 pm Wrap up update:

New window fitted by Autoglass - excellent service, they even came out the day prior to fitting to see about securing the window better than I had. Not feasible due to the lack of a door frame but a great gesture from them anyway.

Faraday pouches sorted along with a Stoplock Pro Elite steering lock - I may swap this for just a Pro instead for a tighter fit to the wheel.

I'm concerned there may be a return since it feels like a "theft to order" due to the unusual nature of the car vs usual car thefts at the moment so I'm getting CCTV sorted out.

I'm exploring a Ghost unit to block the OBD-theft approach but I feel it's getting into the territory that if they want the car that badly then I'd rather it just go than have to have a face-face "discussion" about the passcode for a fully insured item...

Good to hear.

With regards to the OBD port, simpleR posted the following information earlier in this thread........

"There was a change to how keys were coded in 2015 which affects OBD port."

"The older system is on cars 00001 to 08869 (last five digits of VIN) and allows non Jaguar dealers to programme keys. So in theory, if you have an older car you could break the window and then use the OBD port to code a new key to use to drive the car away with."

"08870 and later should be the later system where keys cannot be added via the OBD port without replacing other hardware components. Hence you cannot use the OBD port to start the car."

You mentioned earlier that your car is a 17 plate therefore it wouldn't have the key coding susceptibility. I wouldn't go to the trouble or expense of exploring/buying a Ghost unit to block the OBD-theft approach as it isn't needed. Instead, if you want to be extra cautious you could do what I have done as stated below.

My car (MY16) is older than yours and according to the information that simpleR provided, as my VIN is later than 08870 (last 5 digits of VIN) it should be the later system where keys cannot be added via the OBD port without replacing other hardware components. This means the OBD port cannot be used to start my car. Even so, to be extra cautious I have simply detached the OBD port and tucked it up well behind the panel that it was attached to where it is now difficult to reach. I only refit it if the car needs a diagnostic or software update etc.

P.S. It's a good idea to check your Faraday pouches are shielding the keys correctly. This is because the reflective material inside the pouch can wear and become less effective. I now do this once every few months by sitting in the car, placing the key fob inside the pouch then I try to start the car up. If the keys are shielded correctly a message will appear on the instrument panel which says something like 'SMART key not recognised'. If this message doesn't appear and the car starts up you know the Faraday pouch needs replacing.
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post