New owner

Anything F-Type related......
Jabbar1971

Post by Jabbar1971 »

Hi all

Firstly happy new year to everyone!

My new F Type P300 Coupe in First Edition trim was delivered on Wednesday 30 December. On my second attempted journey in car on Thursday 31 December, the door wouldn’t lock once I was in the car (it’s been cold here -2). I couldn’t drive it so managed to close door from outside.

The door wouldn’t then open from outside! The handle pops out though and no issues with passenger door.

Jaguar Assist have been out and say ‘it’s a known’ issue in cold conditions the lock freezing/jamming.

Anyone else had the same issue? As you can imagine not impressed on first full day of ownership!
2021MY P300 1st Edition Coupe, Eiger Grey, with Climate, Privacy, Black Pack, Heated/cooled seats and Tracker.

Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

Jabbar1971 wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:03 pm Hi all

My new F Type P300 Coupe in First Edition trim was delivered on Wednesday 30 December. On my second attempted journey in car on Thursday 31 December, the door wouldn’t lock once I was in the car (it’s been cold here -2). I couldn’t drive it so managed to close door from outside.

The door wouldn’t then open from outside! The handle pops out though and no issues with passenger door.

Jaguar Assist have been out and say ‘it’s a known’ issue in cold conditions the lock freezing/jamming.

Anyone else had the same issue? As you can imagine not impressed on first full day of ownership!
Not a good start!

My F Type has been fine but I’ve this happen to me with a previous Audi. The solution was Gummi Pflege around the door seals and window seal and then thoroughly drying out the door locks with a hair dryer.
scm

Post by scm »

Jabbar1971 wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:03 pm Jaguar Assist have been out and say ‘it’s a known’ issue in cold conditions the lock freezing/jamming.

Yep, I've had this issue with all four of my Jags (XK8, 4.2 XKR, 5.0 XKR and current F-Type. I found just being brutal worked best for me - the window freezes to the upper surround and also to the door seal so won't drop. If you pull hard enough it'll eventually open. The next problem is getting the door the stay shut once you're inside - again bang it shut enough times and it'll catch. I didn't mind doing it on the three previous cars as they were getting on a bit, but I'm more wary of the F-Type, I've only tried to use it once from freezing and I thought running the remote start for 5 minutes should do the trick, but the door was still tough to open. Once open it closed nicely, and the door mirrors even folded out properly, which wasn't always the case with the XKRs, but their saving grace was that you could disable the auto fold through the vehicle settings menu - not available on the F-Type. Sadly, it's a dealer set option, so money to disable, and more money to renable when the weather warms up again. I guess I'll just stay in bed these chilly mornings! :lol:
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
GBH

Post by GBH »

Both mine were frozen yesterday, handles popped out but the doors were well stuck.
They were fine after the sun came out.
66 MY 17 Blackberry F Type 340
scm

Post by scm »

Forgot to mention, even after the doors appeared to be behaving normally, I had to unlock with the fob because the door handle button was still frozen.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Fez

Post by Fez »

Happy New year. We have been here before (every winter over the last 3 years), Gummi Pflege is the way to go. There are some links and posts on here on how this products stops the door seals sticking. Much better for your f type than using force. Phil
Black AWD 400, sport
MY 18.5
Pan Roof
Heated front screen
Front parking sensors
Full spare
ninetails

Post by ninetails »

Jabbar1971 wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:03 pm Hi all

Hi jabbar1971 and welcome to the club. Had exactly the same problem this morning, unlocked door and handle came out OK, top and sides of door window slightly frosted to the body seal but opened OK. The bottom of the window was well frozen to the door seal so the window did not drop slightly, as it should, on opening the door. When i started the engine i got the warning message and beep saying door not shut. I set heater temperature to 28 degrees and selected heater upper vents, pointed R/H vent towards the drivers door (with door pulled in the closed position) to warm the interior and door up. After about 10 minutes i opened the door and the window was still stuck, but grabbed hold of top of window and gave it a gentle wobble and i heard a slight "click" as it came unstuck from door seal. I closed the door then opened again and now the window dropped slightly, so when i closed the door the window fully shut and door fully shut OK.
As others have said it is a "known issue" but just to give you some hope i have had my car over 3 years and it is the first time this has happened to me. I think you were unlucky to have a cold night after a wet period of weather and i expect your car was jet washed before you picked it up and therefore the inside of doors wet, making the situation worse.
340 coupe auto 2016MY, ammonite/corris grey, red performance heated seats, pano roof, 20" turbine wheels, switchable active exhaust, front & rear parking sensors, rear camera.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post