Time to return to the fold.

Anything F-Type related......
JohnG123

Post by JohnG123 »

Hi All
Well its been nearly 14 months since I traded in my 2016 F Type AWD R .
I now have the urge to get an F type again. I am actually looking at a relatively new 2.0 R Dynamic . Any one have one and what are your thoughts and experiences.
I am looking at a coupe as the wife already has an SLK that for some reason she is reluctant to part with.
The car will be used sparingly as I am fortunate enough to have two other relatively fast cars that I use on a weekend.

I just love the looks of the F Type coupe. I did hade a few issues with coolant leaks on the AWD R and the servicing shall we say was hit and miss (They actually overfilled it with oil as I believe the AWD drive cars have less oil than the normal type R).

Be interesting to hear your thoughts as everyone was most welcoming and helpful when I purchased my orange AWD Type R.

Many thanks.

cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Interesting that the urge to return is strong after more than a year and presumably nothing in the price bracket ticks the boxes.

I have tested to 2.0 and while on paper the performance numbers stack up, the drive is very different to the 6 cylinder. Not the direction I'd head in as the noise, smoothness and effortless performance would be too much of a loss. Given you have 4 cars and with this having light use I'd be heading for a price equal slightly older V6 or V8

IMHO the only thing to do is test drive a coupe with this engine. The double move of body and engine will certainly be a big one and only you can be sure if it suits
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
JohnG123

Post by JohnG123 »

Thanks for the reply, yes guess I will have to wait a while to be able to get a test drive.

My mate has thrown me a curve ball with the idea of a late 2013/2014 XK Portfolio ?.
scm

Post by scm »

JohnG123 wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:18 pm My mate has thrown me a curve ball with the idea of a late 2013/2014 XK Portfolio ?.
I gave up a 2010 XKR to get my F-Type and it's in a different league. The XK has a lot more space, but no supercharger. Drop that curve ball! :lol:
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

I test drove a 2.0L as well as 2 V6's and a V8. I'm with cj10jeeper and although the 2.0L was nice to drive it didn't have the 'feel' or theatre of the supercharged cars. I also tested both RWD and AWD variants and whilst the AWD is probably the sensible choice for traction and British weather it didn't feel as alive as the RWD cars did. That's why I bought the RWD V6.

Everyone is different though (although everyone thinks they look great!) so I would suggest test driving a few different ones to make sure you don't regret your choice, and find one that suits you and your driving preferences. Happy hunting!
scm

Post by scm »

scm wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:15 pm
JohnG123 wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:18 pm My mate has thrown me a curve ball with the idea of a late 2013/2014 XK Portfolio ?.
I gave up a 2010 XKR to get my F-Type and it's in a different league. The XK has a lot more space, but no supercharger. Drop that curve ball! :lol:
Forgot to mention - the F-Type has lower emissions and is more fuel efficient than the XK, too - I really downsized to a smaller, more economical car! ;)
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
bob_mcn

Post by bob_mcn »

GusA wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:34 pm Everyone is different though (although everyone thinks they look great!) so I would suggest test driving a few different ones to make sure you don't regret your choice, and find one that suits you and your driving preferences. Happy hunting!
I agree with this bit, i chose the 2 litre RWD 2021 model as my previous car was an XE 300 sport, and i like the power delivery of the 2 litre, my other choice was a used 340/380 V6, but for me they where too 'shouty' in the exhaust notes, the performance of the 2 litre, for me, was on par with the 340 V6, and a bit less (not a lot though) than the 380 V6, but as said, each to their own, the good bit, is the looks are the same across the range. :D
2021MY P300 1st edition Coupe, Eiger grey, with Climate, Privacy, and Tracker,
Previous: 2019MY XE 300 Sport {petrol) with lots of addons.
Previous: 2017MY XE 240 Portfolio (petrol) with a selection of addons.
JohnG123

Post by JohnG123 »

Well after many hours on the autotrader and piston heads am still going through the options. Many thanks for everyone’s valid comments.
Especially re the noise of the V6 and V8.I am fortunate to already have a BMW X6M and a Mclaren 540C that cover things on the performance and noise side. However I must admit neither of them can match the crackle and pops my AWD orange V8 R f type made.
There seems to be plenty of 67/18 plate cars of all engine sizes that have the buttons down the side of the centre screen then some 67/18 plates that have the wider screen. Was it an option to have a wider screen on 67/18 year plated cars ?. Also apart from the screen area being bigger did they update the whole system. Also seats, there again are plenty cars with the new looking seats and then the older screen and then cars with older seats and the new screen ? .
Guess I need to do a lot more research on options and build configuration before I dive in and make a purchase.
Looking at the published performance figures though the 2.0i is quite a quick car and still has the looks. In some online reviews it gets top marks especially driving in the real world on uk roads.
Once again thanks for the comments and everyone take care and enjoy the drives out when you can.
Let’s hope the world can get back to normal ASAP.
KHatman

Post by KHatman »

If it’s anything like the F-Pace at the time it was an option upgrade on earlier cars before becoming standard. It’s main benefit as I can see is that it allows Apple Car Play/Android Auto upgrade and Over the Air (OTA) upgrades to the infotainment system.
2019 F-Pace 2.0D Manual, Corris Grey and very little else
2016 F-Type V6 Base, Corris Grey and very little else
JohnG123

Post by JohnG123 »

Many thanks for that information. As per my preferred option of the pan roof and fixed spoiler I will make sure the car is fitted with the latest screen.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post