Buying an F Type R - Missing services

Anything F-Type related......
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

I think you'll find they won't move on the price that much if at all. You can ask for some other freebies like 2yr warranty instead of 1. Next service and mot included and things like that which they will accept.

The book value of that car with partial JFSH is £39,800 so about 10% off or 10% of extras would be about right. But obviously up to you. Loads out there to chose from. Good Luck
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black

carboyben

Post by carboyben »

What's their game plan then? Hope someone buys it without realising?

I'll wait and see what the salesman says about it, I expect he'll get back to me tomorrow. If the book price for it with FSH is 10% more than that then his best discount offered so far is still a couple of grand too high before we start talking about the history!
gasgas

Post by gasgas »

if you are happy the car is good why worry about a very small drop in resale value due to a service, it will loose £0000s over a very short time with or without stamp.

just buy it and enjoy.
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

carboyben wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:46 pm What's their game plan then? Hope someone buys it without realising?

I'll wait and see what the salesman says about it, I expect he'll get back to me tomorrow. If the book price for it with FSH is 10% more than that then his best discount offered so far is still a couple of grand too high before we start talking about the history!
The dealer game plan will be to simply wait for a customer who isn’t concerned, believes what they are told, or misses it. They’ll make a minor concession of some sort, like a free service that doesn’t actually cost them much, but are not going to drop the sale price anywhere near the level you want.
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
scm

Post by scm »

carboyben wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:19 pmRealistically they should be discounting it by the same amount they discounted it at trade in!
You have much to learn! Dealers are always looking to devalue cars they buy in, but never apply the same principles to those they sell. ;)

Low mileage cars always (try to) sell for a premium, but when buying in, the only mileage that affects the price (downwards, naturally!) is high mileage.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
carboyben

Post by carboyben »

cj10jeeper wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:32 am
carboyben wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:46 pm What's their game plan then? Hope someone buys it without realising?

The dealer game plan will be to simply wait for a customer who isn’t concerned, believes what they are told, or misses it. They’ll make a minor concession of some sort, like a free service that doesn’t actually cost them much, but are not going to drop the sale price anywhere near the level you want.
And that is what has happened! Apparently the car has sold this morning, which is lucky because it's probably stopped me from doing something silly. It was a firesand one with carbon fibre wing mirrors and and alcantara interior so the urge was strong... :evil:

I guess for some people it's not an amount of money that matters, but for me unfortunately it is. I'm working on that though :lol:
scm

Post by scm »

Good result for you! I've had similar in the past - while I was pontificating about whether a car I'd just test-driven was right for me, another customer came in and bought it! And I eventually found one that I didn't have to hesitate over.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

To me it feels like a good result for you, albeit the decision taken out your hands. Clearly shows the dealer would not have negotiated much.
There are over 500 F types on Autotrader alone, so your car is out there, just a case of finding it..
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
JohnG123

Post by JohnG123 »

Agree with above comments. just bide your time and I am sure a spec you are after will soon appear on auto trader.
Good luck with the search.
JamesOC

Post by JamesOC »

Agree it sounds like a good result and the right car will be out there.
Lockdown timing might well be in your favour and gives you time to research further ... I bought mine last April and got a great deal; just a shame I had to wait to use it properly but made up for that in the summer 👍
MY20 R AWD Coupe, Portofino Blue
Previous: 2011 XK

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post