Buying an F Type R - Missing services

Anything F-Type related......
carboyben

Post by carboyben »

Hi All,

I'm looking at an R AWD from a main dealer. They've sent me through the service history, and it's... well... incomplete. The car did 20k miles and 2 years before its first service having been delivered to Paragon Fleet Solutions. It then missed a later service as well after being sold elsewhere, although it only did 10k miles in those two years and if it was a private owner then I can understand that mindset.

I've read elsewhere on this forum that Paragon Fleet means it was a press car, management car, or something else. My worry is the "something else" and why it might have missed its first service. I've asked the dealer if they have any information on what the history is but I doubt they're going to say anything other than "it was owned by a very conservative senior manager from the finance department".

So, any ideas on what might have happened to this car? And more importantly, should I walk?

P.S. I should point out that other than this issue it's the perfect spec, drives well, the options I want... :?

scm

Post by scm »

simpleR is your man - if he knows the reg or VIN.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

Cannot do anything until Monday but let me know the reg. Cheers
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black
carboyben

Post by carboyben »

Can you PM me? I'm not enabled for it yet as a newbie...

Cheers!
jono_h

Post by jono_h »

Mine was missing a service on the online records, but when I turned up at the dealers the missing service had been stamped in the service book - how old fashioned is that!

So check both online & the book.
scm

Post by scm »

I get mine serviced at my trusted independent, and get Jag Customer Services to update the OSH. Surprisingly painless!
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
carboyben

Post by carboyben »

simpleR wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:30 pm Cannot do anything until Monday but let me know the reg. Cheers
Thanks for the PM, the forum won't let me respond to it however :lol:

Reg is: OV66 YFC

Cheers!
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

When I see a car with significant mileage beyond/ time based service requirements exceeded or indeed missed, then I always ask how will a prospective buyer or trade in time dealer view it. You can be sure a dealer would use it to justify a lower price and private buyer group that will consider it is reduced and they will discount too.

If you can get it corrected as it was conducted and fill in the gaps, then great or if not it has to have a very significant discount, or walk away
For me too many issues with the missed service, late service, ex management tag.
Keep your money for a while and continue to search
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

carboyben wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:50 pm
simpleR wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:30 pm Cannot do anything until Monday but let me know the reg. Cheers
Thanks for the PM, the forum won't let me respond to it however :lol:
This is car 43197, V8, Firesand, very nice.

Info on Paragon is here:
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3300&p=35671&hilit ... ons#p35671

There is no online history for this car (which is good).

Servicing Theories on this car.
Based on the service information, the first service was probably completed but never uploaded online as the first service recorded was the second one. The first service would of been completed by Paragon at the end of the 9-12 month initial lease so that paperwork will not be recoverable (presuming it was done). Alterantively the car might of gone to Bruntingthrope Proving Ground which is where Paragon cars go to for storage if no one wants them so it might of been off the road for 12 months before re-appearing.
Yes it went 24 months unserviced later in life as you have noted. It also appears it has been sold a few times so check V5C and independent checks as it has been off the road since 11th Nov.

It is clear on PNC.
HTH
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black
carboyben

Post by carboyben »

Thanks for that - very helpful! Having driven the car I am satisfied that it's in good enough shape, the issue will be what the future value will be when the next buyer asks all the same questions that I am. Everything has a price, and I would be happy enough to take the risk if the price was right.

I think the car probably did have its first service and it's a paperwork issue as I can't fathom why it wouldn't have. However if there's no record of it you have to value it as if it was missed because there's no way to prove otherwise.

The question is, what is that price? The dealer has it up for an amount that belies the issues with the history... Realistically they should be discounting it by the same amount they discounted it at trade in! My gut says that it's at least 10% on the best offer they would accept without this issue.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post