To Cover or Not

Anything F-Type related......
Posidrive

Post by Posidrive »

Due to the new lockdown my new 2015 convertible is being delivered on Friday, but not to my home where I have a garage but to my partners where it will live on the driveway until lockdown ends. I have been thinking of getting a winter cover of some type, because I'm concerned about it getting covered with bird crap and tree sap, but have seen a number of articles where paint has bubbled under a cover. Has this happened to anyone here?

Any recommendation for a reasonable cover. I don't want to spend a fortune, maybe up to about £200, because hopefully its only going to be used until lockdown ends.
2015 V6S AWD Convertible in British Racing Green

gasgas

Post by gasgas »

Leave it with the dealer until march.
Posidrive

Post by Posidrive »

gasgas wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:56 pm Leave it with the dealer until march.
That won't work because I've locked down at my partners house and I'm so excited to drive it even if only to go to the shops that I'd need psychiatric help if I did that
2015 V6S AWD Convertible in British Racing Green
scharlton

Post by scharlton »

I bought a JLR one for around £220 I think.

It is not waterproof so gets wet and lets water through but dries quickly. More importantly it is soft on the inside with no seems so is kind to the paint work.

I did put a Halfords waterproof cover over the Jag one thinking the double lay would mean waterproof and soft, it was but I soon saw the seems of the Halfords cover was wearing away at the JLR one so I stopped using it. If I only used the halfords one I would worry about what it would do to the paintwork.

Just posting this to warn of possible risks of a cheap cover. Also, always wash before putting cover on after driving.
2014 Coupe 5.0R RWD
White
Herts
Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

If it’s only for a short time and you intend to drive it (for essential journeys obvs!) then I’d just leave it outside without a cover. Not much tree sap this time of year and bird poop can be hosed off easily. Dragging a cover over a dirty car may scratch the paintwork.

Use the £200 for petrol!
Fez

Post by Fez »

Drive it to where your garage is... catch train or get partner to pick you up and return to hers. Six weeks will fly by and it will look as good as new when you return. F Types are not design to nip to local shop it will not even get a chance to warm up properly.
Black AWD 400, sport
MY 18.5
Pan Roof
Heated front screen
Front parking sensors
Full spare
scm

Post by scm »

Fez wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:55 pmF Types are not design to nip to local shop it will not even get a chance to warm up properly.
Mine copes with that magnificently - I use remote start 10 minutes before I intend to leave so it's nice and warm when I get in it, and I never take the direct route home. If it wasn't for the local shop run I'd never get to drive it - where's the sense in that?
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Philskill

Post by Philskill »

This is the one from the dealers, it's very soft and fits perfectly, but i'm not using it outside as you can see.

viewtopic.php?p=49769#p49769

Phil
MY19 Carpathian Grey R-Dynamic P300, Black pack in and out, 12 way Memory seats, Climate Pack, Park assist, Meridian Surround, switchable exhaust.
dbv6s

Post by dbv6s »

If it was me, I wouldn't bother with a cover especially if its outside
its £200+
bit of a faff to get on & off
really you should only cover a clean car so unless you plan on cleaning it each time before covering then it wouldn't be used
I dont feel comfortable dragging a cover over a car, even if you neatly unfold from roof the last few edges always get pulled to rearrange perfectly
outside cover will always get blown around by the wind to some extent, potentially causing scratches
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

scm wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:00 pm
Fez wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:55 pmF Types are not design to nip to local shop it will not even get a chance to warm up properly.
Mine copes with that magnificently - I use remote start 10 minutes before I intend to leave so it's nice and warm when I get in it, and I never take the direct route home. If it wasn't for the local shop run I'd never get to drive it - where's the sense in that?

I normally use my second car when I go to the shops and keep the F-Type for more special journeys.

Can't believe that if it wasn't for your local shop run you'd never get to drive your car! :o
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post