Camera van on opposite carriageway

Anything F-Type related......
Fez

Post by Fez »

I can confirm cameras are set to cover both directions. I can confirm the operator decides which cars to send a ticket to, the operator has a trigger to operate. If you work on 10% of legal limit you will be 90% safe. The last think to consider is you speedo is only calibrated to 5% accuracy. Keep safe, drive carefully and enjoy others looking at your car as they drive past which includes unmarked police cars. I have collected two waves and nods from unmarked cars in last six months. Makes my smile even bigger.
Black AWD 400, sport
MY 18.5
Pan Roof
Heated front screen
Front parking sensors
Full spare

scm

Post by scm »

Fez wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:21 pmThe last thing to consider is you speedo is only calibrated to 5% accuracy.
Ah, but that calibration is the over-read permitted - speedos are required to never under-read true speed, AIUI, they're allowed to over-read by up to 10% +3mph unless they've tighten the regulations since I last read that. I found that out when I was booked in 1990 for speeding in a Cavalier whose speedo showed 55mph when travelling ar 70mph, and it was showing 70mph as I passed a patrol car .... :? Ironically, the car was due to be changed 2 days later.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
DaddyDarren

Post by DaddyDarren »

Fez wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:21 pm I can confirm cameras are set to cover both directions. I can confirm the operator decides which cars to send a ticket to, the operator has a trigger to operate. If you work on 10% of legal limit you will be 90% safe. The last think to consider is you speedo is only calibrated to 5% accuracy. Keep safe, drive carefully and enjoy others looking at your car as they drive past which includes unmarked police cars. I have collected two waves and nods from unmarked cars in last six months. Makes my smile even bigger.

Fez. Seems you have inside knowledge!

I can confirm the old Post Office TV Detector vans contained nothing but two semi-retired postal workers on soft duties, flask, sandwiches & copy of Daily Mirror. However, parked up on Nottingham’s council estates with the fake radar antenna out the roof & local residents scurrying to the Post Office 😂
White 2014 V6 Coupe
OEM P7 Grill
VAP Lowering Springs
VAP 200 Cell Cats & Downpipes
VAP Pulley & Stage II 453 BHP Remap
Vorsteiner 21” V-FF 103 Alloys
PB Brakes 8/6 Pot Drilled Big Brake Kit
Derivative

Post by Derivative »

Fez wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:21 pm ... and enjoy others looking at your car as they drive past ...
Exactly that.
Had to go to Belgium recently for a 24 hour turnaround trip. I stuck it on the inside lane with the cruise control at the limit when going through France and a vast percentage of the cars that overtook me were either gawping out the window at the car or gave me a thumbs up as they went past. (The last time I was in France I got 4 speeding tickets in 3 days. They arrived in the post 6 months later. Learnt my lesson.)
MY2018 R-Dynamic 340 coupe
Northnoble

Post by Northnoble »

OMG......this is the first I have heard of vans catching you from the other side of the road!

Hopefully only in England......but sure it will hit us soon here in Scotland :evil:

Where is all our fun going 😒
Jaguar F-Type 5.0s Convertible - Italian Racing Red, Gloss black wheels and trim
Porsche Macan S
Ariel Atom 3 300
scm

Post by scm »

DaddyDarren wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:07 pm I can confirm the old Post Office TV Detector vans contained nothing but two semi-retired postal workers on soft duties, flask, sandwiches & copy of Daily Mirror.
Steve Punt did a radio programme (13 June 2009) about this and came to the conclusion that the PO did have a couple of real detector vans, but some (most?) of them were kitted out with benches and people used to be transported to suspected areas where they'd get out and walk the streets peering through windows. He actually interviewed one of the "walkers".
jono_h

Post by jono_h »

My Wife took a speed awareness course for 83mph, and I’ve just found some guidelines that suggest 10% + 9mph, so that may be an option.
Malbec

Post by Malbec »

jono_h wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:30 pm My Wife took a speed awareness course for 83mph, and I’ve just found some guidelines that suggest 10% + 9mph, so that may be an option.
Yes I did one 6 years ago for 83. Looks like up to 86 I can be offered one but not guaranteed.
Perhaps they’ll take pity on a poor pensioner. On the other hand they may not think I’d be capable of doing a zoom course. 😐
17MY V6S AWD Coupé Ammonite grey.
UAD wireless CarPlay.
scm

Post by scm »

Malbec wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:55 pm Perhaps they’ll take pity on a poor pensioner. On the other hand they may not think I’d be capable of doing a zoom course. 😐
Then you can get them for age discrimination - which is as illegal as speeding.
PhilB

Post by PhilB »

Malbec wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:55 pm
jono_h wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:30 pm My Wife took a speed awareness course for 83mph, and I’ve just found some guidelines that suggest 10% + 9mph, so that may be an option.
Yes I did one 6 years ago for 83. Looks like up to 86 I can be offered one but not guaranteed.
Perhaps they’ll take pity on a poor pensioner. On the other hand they may not think I’d be capable of doing a zoom course. 😐
Have a look through the paperwork that came with the NIP.
If they are considering a speed awareness course then the offer will be in there (they don't offer unless you are eligibile) .
They make a lot of money from these courses so I would be surprised if they went straight for points and fine.
Prosecution under the guidelines starts at 10% +2mph, so in your case anything over 79mph then there's another cut off point in mph where they cannot offer you a course as Jono points out.
That can vary from force to force but the national guidlines are online somewhere and most stick to them.

First time I've heard of getting done by a van in the opposite carriageway as it's usually front/back or either.
Have a look back on your vid and see if there was also a traffic car on the bridge that hit you from behind as you went underneath.
Favourite tactic certainly in Devon and Cornwall.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post