Trickle chargers

Anything F-Type related......
Cats

Post by Cats »

NCE 61 wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:38 am
It is a re-badged Ctek, I used an Accumate on my TVR's however they are quiet basic and do not have an AGM battery type selection so switched to a Ctek with the F-Type
[/quote]

Do you still have your Mk3 Tuscan?👋
Rhodium Silver F Type SVR Coupe 2016 now gone sadly
Ultra Blue F Pace SVR 2022

NCE 61

Post by NCE 61 »

[/quote]
Do you still have your Mk3 Tuscan?👋
[/quote]

No unfortunately not, I tried for two years to register it in Belgium without success so ended up selling it to STR8SIX who sold it to a collector, and it has not been on the road since which is a pity as they like to be used.
2018.5 F-Type Convertible 2.0 Litre BRG
Captain Midlife

Post by Captain Midlife »

NCE 61 wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:38 am It is a re-badged Ctek, I used an Accumate on my TVR's however they are quiet basic and do not have an AGM battery type selection so switched to a Ctek with the F-Type
I also have an Accumate from many years ago. It's been fantastic on all my weekend cars over the years but like you all I was worried about AGM and 90Ah. Their website says they are OK with AGM and being constant current I could see why but wasn't sure. Additionally they are recommended from 4Ah to 75Ah. 90Ah is pushing it a bit so I thought I'd check with the Optimate UK Tech department.

Their reply is reassuring:
"
Hi Nick,
The AccuMate will be perfectly safe to use with your AGM battery.

I would say that it is possibly a little underpowered for a 90Ah battery but you can connect the charger and see how it goes. If you get a green light then you know it’s all ok. If after a couple of days the amber charger light is still on, then it might be wise to invest in a more up to date OptiMate 2 or 5 which are more suitable to larger batteries.

Regards,
Benn Green
Technical Sales Advisor
"

Green light came on after 2 days :D
Undoubtedly there are more suitable/robust/quicker chargers oon the market but I've been reassured that I don't need to throw the Accumate in the landfill just yet. :mrgreen:
Between toys :cry:
NCE 61

Post by NCE 61 »

Captain Midlife wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:27 pm I also have an Accumate from many years ago. It's been fantastic on all my weekend cars over the years but like you all I was worried about AGM and 90Ah. Their website says they are OK with AGM and being constant current I could see why but wasn't sure. Additionally they are recommended from 4Ah to 75Ah. 90Ah is pushing it a bit so I thought I'd check with the Optimate UK Tech department.

Their reply is reassuring:
"
Hi Nick,
The AccuMate will be perfectly safe to use with your AGM battery.

I would say that it is possibly a little underpowered for a 90Ah battery but you can connect the charger and see how it goes. If you get a green light then you know it’s all ok. If after a couple of days the amber charger light is still on, then it might be wise to invest in a more up to date OptiMate 2 or 5 which are more suitable to larger batteries.

Regards,
Benn Green
Technical Sales Advisor
"

Green light came on after 2 days :D
Undoubtedly there are more suitable/robust/quicker chargers oon the market but I've been reassured that I don't need to throw the Accumate in the landfill just yet. :mrgreen:
Thanks for that information this probably explains why when I recently tried my Accurate on another car and the green light did not come on even after two days.
2018.5 F-Type Convertible 2.0 Litre BRG
Glaf

Post by Glaf »

Glaf wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:33 pm I am currently not using my car and curious to know when it’s advisable to start using a trickle charger?

Any recommendations if I need to use one?

https://www.screwfix.com/c/auto-cleanin ... at12010001

Thanks for all the advice, I bought a CTEK MXS 5.0 unit £66.95 inc delivery.
https://www.smarterchargers.co.uk/produ ... ry-charger

The connecting wire and plug could do with being an inch longer. I filed a small notch in the removable storage compartment where the wire and plug exits. This helped the battery cover to sit flush without squashing the wire.

Apart from that all good, thanks again.
V6 Coupe, 2015, white with black pack, panoramic roof, 20" black Cylones, red callipers. 8-)
TVR Griffith 4.3, 1992, owned for 5 wonderful years.
Millwheel

Post by Millwheel »

If you are buying the latest CTEK you will discover that the fully charged green light is almost invisible in sunlight. For some reason they put the weakest LED in that position. So if you have been charging for ages and the battery doesn’t seem to reach the final stage shield the charger from bright light and take a closer look. CTEK are aware of this, let’s hope they fix it in the next model. The sun rarely shines in Sweden so I suppose they didn’t notice up there. Fine in a garage of course.

If you need to extend the cables these connectors make it dead easy and avoid the awful choc block covered in insulating tape so familiar to many of us.
https://www.toolstation.com/ideal-indus ... tor/p87609
Robinski

Post by Robinski »

Cool posts, really helpful. Looks like I'll need to SORN my V6S, unfortunately. Have been having battery issues for a while, and it just 'died'. I can't drive it for longish spells due to chronic illness, but I'm darned if I'm giving it up, yet.
scm

Post by scm »

How old is the battery? Or have you had something connected to the OBD port recently - that can cause a battery drain in some circumstances?
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post