Trickle chargers

Anything F-Type related......
scm

Post by scm »

ralphr1780 wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:04 pm
scm wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:13 pm CTEKs are battery maintainers, not trickle chargers. ;)
But... then why the producer would call them "chargers"?
The issue is the word "trickle", not "charger". ;)
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!

ralphr1780

Post by ralphr1780 »

[/quote]
The issue is the word "trickle", not "charger". ;)
[/quote]
8-) thanks!
ralph
V6S-AWD-Coupé-LHD-Caldera Red-MY20 aka Red Devil
SVR-Coupé-LHD-Santorini Black-MY20 aka Nyx
ajac

Post by ajac »

The do charge, (inc recondition when required) and then trickle.

I've had a CTEK 5.0 for my RR for about 5 year now. I fixed it permanently in the corporate loft space and it worked well with the long CTEK extension lead and quick connectors.

It has however now failed and took an AGM battery with it. (£220.00 later!)

I suggest if you do use one - keep the unit away from sub zero temp environments.

I can't remember how much it cost me but not cheap. I also brought a £20 Aldi special buy which looks very similar. That one is still going after 5 years albeit in the garage. I believe an important function is the ability to cope with a power cut.
2016 Salsa S
Range Rover TDV8
Range Rover Classic
ajac

Post by ajac »

... carport loft space... not corporate!!
2016 Salsa S
Range Rover TDV8
Range Rover Classic
Cluck

Post by Cluck »

Interesting that you mention keeping the CTEK out of cold environments. Mine has been outside throughout this winter and although it hasn't been really cold down here in Somerset, we've had quite a few sub-zero nights. I bought the CTEK on the basis that it can sit outside in all weather and all temps. Is it common for them to fail and take batteries with them then?
MY21 F-Type P450 R Dynamic in Portofino Blue, Black Exterior Pack, Performance Seats, Suede headlining (with Blur as support act)
NavigatorNI

Post by NavigatorNI »

Glaf wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:33 pm I am currently not using my car and curious to know when it’s advisable to start using a trickle charger?

Any recommendations if I need to use one?
I've been using a Tec Optimate4 on my motorbike for several years now & have found it fantastic.  The bike lives in the garage and the Optimate is left permanently connected.

My F type lives outdoors and is used regularly, but not daily.  To date, touch wood, it has never had any battery issues.  The only sign it gives of not being optimally charged is that the start/stop doesn't usually work unless I've been in the car all day.  However, since I turn this off as soon as it does start to work, this isn't a problem.

I've recently been thinking of a charger/optimiser suitable for both the Jag and my wife's car.  After my experience using the Optimate4 on the bike, I'd definitely buy another Optimate for the car.  Looking at the specifications of the Optimate2 & Optimate5, the #2 is suitable, but the Jag battery, at 95Ah, is right on the upper recommended limit (96Ah).  The #5 is rated to 120Ah so is well over-specced.  Therefore I'm leaning towards the #5, being a firm believer that machines operating in the middle of their design range will last longer than those operating at the upper limit.

If you're interested, I bought my last Optimate from Sportsbikeshop, their link to the #5 as follows 
https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorc ... rod/257206

If you are thinking of connecting a battery optimiser, remember to connect the +ve lead to the busbar terminal with the yellow wire, see earlier topic for lots of useful information
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=4459&p=49671&hilit ... tek#p49671
V6S Coupé, RWD, MY16
Salsa Red
20" Turbine silver alloys
Lots of extras
Lots of noise
Lots of smiles :D :D :D
scm

Post by scm »

ajac wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:02 pm The do charge, (inc recondition when required) and then trickle.
If you define "trickle" as "topping up as necessary" you're right. But it's not what I'd call trickle, that implies a contant low charge, regardless of the state of the battery. CTEKs are a bit smarter than that.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Philskill

Post by Philskill »

Manufacturer says : Automatic charging and maintenance!

The CTEK does the same as the Regular charge once it;s completed it charging cycle it then leaves the battery for a period before topping it back up, Thye also have a reconditioning mode to help restore lost capacity, and have specfic modes for AGM batteries.

I have the 5.0, and mine is on it permanently while SORN'd, but I have also used it to charge my other cars that get low from a lot of starting but not really any long runs.

Info here from mine
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=3920&start=60
MY19 Carpathian Grey R-Dynamic P300, Black pack in and out, 12 way Memory seats, Climate Pack, Park assist, Meridian Surround, switchable exhaust.
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

scm wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:37 pm
ajac wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:02 pm The do charge, (inc recondition when required) and then trickle.
If you define "trickle" as "topping up as necessary" you're right. But it's not what I'd call trickle, that implies a contant low charge, regardless of the state of the battery. CTEKs are a bit smarter than that.
I agree that the terms get mixed and misused, even by sellers. Probably to get the most descriptive terms to attract search hits..

Trickle IMO is typically an old style charger that applies a constant low charge regardless of battery need. Connect and after a few hours disconnect. Left for days can damage batteries. Trickle differentiating to rapid charge and similar terms to get a discharged battery charged quickly and a car started.
Maintainer has many different cycles and options, caters for different types of battery inc. AGM and can be left on as long as desired with no downside. Lots more electronics behind it
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
Jaguandy

Post by Jaguandy »

I use an Optimate 4 on the bike and the car. A few days on each vehicle every few weeks works for my stuff.
F-Type R Coupe Firenze (Italian Racing Red) AWD MY16

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post