So easily stolen

Anything F-Type related......
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Posted yesterday on our sister forum - this must be a horrible experience and shock.

That really isn't the forum name you want to have to chose.

https://www.xeforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9832

Not had it since someone nicked my MKII Cortina with a screwdriver and I had to use Molegrips to drive it home once found, as the gear lever had been broken off too.

I'm not sure how similar the non-keyless entry systems are on the XE and F-Type but it's concerning that these scum can bypass modern systems / OBD and make off with a car so quickly.

Since it's no longer a case of taking your dizzy cap / HT lead with you, it may be worth thinking about a well rated steering wheel lock.
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust

PaulWildsmith

Post by PaulWildsmith »

Just caught a few minutes of a tv programme last night about expensive motorcaravans. One had removable steering wheel!
Married to a F Type owner (P300 2021 model)
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

That's an odd one to me.

The car doesn't have keyless so they couldn't of remotely opened it with a relay theft.

They don't appear to smash a window and even if they did, if the car was double locked it would of been deadlocked still and door wouldn't of opened.
So was it only single locked?

And then it was 10 seconds from getting in the car until it started? Even if it was an OBD theft surely it would take longer than that? Almost like it was single locked and they had a key!!
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black
GARETH

Post by GARETH »

This highlights one of the bug-bears I have with newer JLR products. The first press of the lock single locks it, the second within 3 seconds deadlocks it. So you have to consciously press it twice to secure the car properly. My older Disco 3’s were the other way round. 1st press deadlocked and interior protection on, 2nd press single lock with no interior protection.

The number of times I’ve met people with Disco 4, Jag F Type etc. who didn’t know they had to press it twice to secure it properly.

My new 2021 Defender is the same, two presses to secure, only on that you have to be careful you don’t press it too quickly in succession or it misses the second press!

At least my app tells me it’s unlocked.
2014 Jaguar F-Type 3.0 S Coupe in Salsa red
2021 Land Rover Defender 110 X-Dynamic HSE
1968 Land Rover Series 2a 88”
1966 Land Rover Series 2a 109” ex army.
GARETH

Post by GARETH »

Another thing. The fact that In-control says it’s a couple of streets away, but it isn’t.

The only way I can think that this is achieved would perhaps be they had a trailer parked there, and disconnected the battery once on the trailer.
2014 Jaguar F-Type 3.0 S Coupe in Salsa red
2021 Land Rover Defender 110 X-Dynamic HSE
1968 Land Rover Series 2a 88”
1966 Land Rover Series 2a 109” ex army.
Tel

Post by Tel »

My understanding is that this is NOT a 'Keyless' entry car - You can see the perpetrators working on the lock for some considerable time - I think this is popped out of the bodywork to enable it to be fudged somehow.

From there on in , I'm sure they must do the rest via the OBD port - Another reason why mine has a lockable cover on.

I'm being particularly vague on details, but you get the general jist.

Doing a search on the 'Darkweb' may reveal the kit and how it is used.
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Yes, as stated originally, this is not keyless entry.
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
Fez

Post by Fez »

Understand, not keyless entry on this occasion. However having just continued inControl subscription recieve email from Jaguar quoting "You may also wish to store your keys in a faraday bag when not in use. Faraday bags are available from third party suppliers and block the key fob’s radio signal, preventing criminals using a ‘relay’ attack to gain unlawful access to your car."

The another interesting quote is "You can also activate Guardian Mode through the latest version of the Jaguar Remote. Guardian Mode monitors your car and provides an alert if any interference occurs such as the car being unlocked, doors being opened, or the engine started.
Black AWD 400, sport
MY 18.5
Pan Roof
Heated front screen
Front parking sensors
Full spare
Tel

Post by Tel »

Faraday bags are OK for blocking your key from 'handshaking' with the car and this signal being 'snooped'.

What is worrying is, that this is a successful attack on a Non KL entry car, which means that they are using a different approach.

So that you are all aware...
Keyless or Non keyless - ANY car including Jaguar that uses a radio frequency to 'talk' to or from the car and can be jammed; e.g you are in lock your car after getting out, the walk away thinking it has locked, but the signal has been interrupted or 'jammed'. You think the car is locked, the thieves can then steal the contents.

I successfully tested this theory back when I had a Keyless entry model in 2014.
Total outlay is around £50 for a transmitter capable of swamping (very easily) the very low output Keyfob.

It worked on every modern RF central locking vehicle parked in Asda!

So, the moral of the story, as well as Faraday pouches for KL entry models, ALWAYS look back and CHECK that the car is Physically locked...mirrors tuck in and the car double bleeps and flashes at you, lock cover your OBD (for now until we understand the new attack methodology)...and stick a visible steering lock on your wheel.

I wish I could pop my steering wheel off just like the F1 cars do - That would stump them!
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
scm

Post by scm »

Tel wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:53 pm I wish I could pop my steering wheel off just like the F1 cars do - That would stump them!
They'd just bring molegrips! Now if the starter button was on the steering wheel .... ;)
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!