So easily stolen

Anything F-Type related......
Tel

Post by Tel »

RPSN wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:59 pm
The OBD Tracker that you mentioned earlier seems like a good idea but I would imagine that thieves would remove this if they were successful in stealing the car? There again, perhaps some wouldn’t?
Only if they could find the OBD port, and you make it easy to remove the plug in tracker- I know it's not easy to hide a blooming great plug on a bundle of wires...you have to be creative and make it as difficult as you can for someone to get access.

By the time they realise it has one fitted, you may (if it's a good system) already know where the car is.
You said that.....“it may be found that the OBD port powering the tracker may hang the ignition shutdown routine - this will be a trial and error exercise.” Can this easily be sorted out?
Only by trial and error - there is no known cure for the hanging session issue.

There are many trackers, the best seem to be subscription devices that use the mobile network. Follow the advice of expensive plant operators that use specific devices for assets that are worth far more than our cars.
I'm not going to recommend any such device for obvious reasons, but your'e on the right track.
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩

scm

Post by scm »

Tel wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:35 pm Only by trial and error - there is no known cure for the hanging session issue.
The "cure" is to disconnect the battery! Okay, "workaround". :lol:
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Tel wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:35 pm
RPSN wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:59 pm
The OBD Tracker that you mentioned earlier seems like a good idea but I would imagine that thieves would remove this if they were successful in stealing the car? There again, perhaps some wouldn’t?
Only if they could find the OBD port, and you make it easy to remove the plug in tracker- I know it's not easy to hide a blooming great plug on a bundle of wires...you have to be creative and make it as difficult as you can for someone to get access.

By the time they realise it has one fitted, you may (if it's a good system) already know where the car is.
You said that.....“it may be found that the OBD port powering the tracker may hang the ignition shutdown routine - this will be a trial and error exercise.” Can this easily be sorted out?
Only by trial and error - there is no known cure for the hanging session issue.

There are many trackers, the best seem to be subscription devices that use the mobile network. Follow the advice of expensive plant operators that use specific devices for assets that are worth far more than our cars.
I'm not going to recommend any such device for obvious reasons, but your'e on the right track.

When the OBD Tracker is plugged into the OBD port it would be very difficult to hide due to the combined size of it.

Not too keen on the hanging session issue (ignition shut down).

As I’ve already hidden the OBD port (even though it isn't vulnerable), use a hefty steering wheel lock and double lock the car with the key fob, I think the car is reasonably secured.

I’ll be keeping the OBD Tracker in mind though.

Cheers
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid
Jaguandy

Post by Jaguandy »

I've had a quick look for an OBD lock, but what I've found so far is confusing. Vehicle specific? Expensive for what they are? Any useful links gratefully received.
F-Type R Coupe Firenze (Italian Racing Red) AWD MY16
Quiet man

Post by Quiet man »

Thanks for all the helpful advice guys, for now I have bought a steering wheel disc lock and a Faraday bag for the keys, a new more secure garage door is on order and I will look into the tracking advice. Many thanks.
White V6S, red interior. Black 20inch alloy wheels.