Cross braces recall code

Anything F-Type related......
NBC fdff

Post by NBC fdff »

Hi all. Could any of you gents/ladies refer me to cross braces recall code/topic.
TIA
Abdul
2018 2.0 R Dynamic in Carpathian Grey
Exterior black pack, Pano roof, 20" Gyrodynes and other bits and bobs ....

scm

Post by scm »

The SSM is SSM74031 - X152 Under body brace corrosion, but it was never a recall, just a bulletin of what to do if a customer complains. I believe it's no longer valid.

Main thread here viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3237&hilit=ssm74031
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Fez

Post by Fez »

Recent chat with service manager from major dealer on south coast indicated your better off removing rear cross brace and getting it properly protected. As those with replacements are not fairing any better.
Black AWD 400, sport
MY 18.5
Pan Roof
Heated front screen
Front parking sensors
Full spare
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Abdul wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:14 pm Hi all. Could any of you gents/ladies refer me to cross braces recall code/topic.
TIA
Abdul

I’ve also heard that some of the new braces are not doing much better, even though they have a 'Zinc-Nickel plated layer between paint protection and the metal substrate'. Makes me think whether or not some of the original braces are still being used as replacements?

I had a complete overhaul of the rear subframe and new rear under body braces fitted on my car approx 15 months ago and all is ok so far. I do have an extra layer of anti-corrosion protection on them which was professionally done in the body shop.

Here’s a link with info on the Jaguar technical bulletin (SSM74031 F-Type X152 Under body brace corrosion).

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=3085&start=150#p51051
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid
NBC fdff

Post by NBC fdff »

Thanks all for your replies!
2018 2.0 R Dynamic in Carpathian Grey
Exterior black pack, Pano roof, 20" Gyrodynes and other bits and bobs ....
Tewy

Post by Tewy »

I bought my 4yr old 3.0 V6 last December and since then I read about the possible brace rust. I inspected mine and there were signs of quite a bit of surface rust. There are a lot of examples where owners have had them repaired under warranty so I decided to claim myself. There are 3 rear braces that that can be effected due to them not having a zinc coating from new. 2 are straight forward to fit but the main brace requires the silencer to be removed. To do a claim you have to get a Jaguar garage to inspect/photograph and do a report which has to be sent to JLR. I think if your car is from 2018 you probably have the later zinc coated braces fitted but there is doubt whether they are of good quality. (JEC is monitoring this). I got my local garage to do a report and just requested that they pay for the parts only which in total is about £500. The answer I got was no as the car was out of the 3yr paint guarantee. I did not accept this as I kept sending them examples of customers that had the job authorised. I quoted the service bulletin which is not a recall (now not live) and this seemed to help my case. I actually purchase the parts as I wanted to put an extra coat of paint on them due to the doubt about the rust issue being solved with the new ones. After many emails I received an offer to pay for 2 of the panels as one was not too bad. I put this money to pay the labour cost which was £117 to fit the panels and the cost of an MOT and servicing later this year. As I was having the silencer removed I got them to fit new hanger rubbers. Since then I have renovated the old braces and I am asking for offers in the for sale section.
F type 3.0 V6 supercharged manual, Honda CRV, Jaguar XJ-SC manual 3.6
Derivative

Post by Derivative »

Does that original campaign contain any further procedure(s) or information other than component replacement of the 3 braces?
MY2018 R-Dynamic 340 coupe
scm

Post by scm »

Nope:

SSM74031 - X152 Under body brace corrosion:

Issue: A customer may complain of corrosion appearing on the Under-body braces.

Cause: Insufficient Zinc-Nickel plating on current components.

New spec parts include a Zinc-Nickel plated layer between paint protection and the metal substrate which provides a greater level of corrosion protection for exposed Under Body steel components, including protection against stone chipping and other environmental impacts due to Zinc-Nickel hardness properties.

Action: If any of the Rear Under body braces are exhibiting red rust corrosion, replace them with the new part number as listed below, and submit an EPQR with photos attached of the concern and quoting this SSM.

Brace number concerned are:
T2R 3166 (remove) - Body Brace
T2R 40865 (replacement part)

T2R 18759 (remove) - K-Brace
T2R 40866 (replacement part)

V6/AJ200 variants:
T2P 1597 (remove) - Pt 4 Brace V6/AJ200
T2R 40657 (replacement part)

V8 variant:
T2R 3438 (remove) - Pt 4 V8
T2R 40658 (replacement part)
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Stuno1

Post by Stuno1 »

Is it expensive to have a dealer take them off and powder coat them?
Derivative

Post by Derivative »

scm wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:33 pm Nope:

SSM74031 - X152 Under body brace corrosion:

Issue: A customer may complain of corrosion appearing on the Under-body braces.

Cause: Insufficient Zinc-Nickel plating on current components.

New spec parts include a Zinc-Nickel plated layer between paint protection and the metal substrate which provides a greater level of corrosion protection for exposed Under Body steel components, including protection against stone chipping and other environmental impacts due to Zinc-Nickel hardness properties.

Action: If any of the Rear Under body braces are exhibiting red rust corrosion, replace them with the new part number as listed below, and submit an EPQR with photos attached of the concern and quoting this SSM.

Brace number concerned are:
T2R 3166 (remove) - Body Brace
T2R 40865 (replacement part)

T2R 18759 (remove) - K-Brace
T2R 40866 (replacement part)

V6/AJ200 variants:
T2P 1597 (remove) - Pt 4 Brace V6/AJ200
T2R 40657 (replacement part)

V8 variant:
T2R 3438 (remove) - Pt 4 V8
T2R 40658 (replacement part)
The reason I ask is that mine are being done as we speak. I thought it was nothing more than that but, they've got the car overnight whilst they wait for something they've painted/sprayed on to dry. I'll find out more tomorrow.
MY2018 R-Dynamic 340 coupe

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post