Centre Console Vent Issue – Now Fixed

Anything F-Type related......
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

The centre console vent on my car recently started to play up again (getting stuck half way open etc) so I decided to repair it.

I had to improvise with a magnetic pick-up tool when removing and refitting the torx screws underneath the vent speaker cover.

I removed, sanded down and put silicone grease on the internal pivoting points before refitting them, as per the attachment.

Bit of a fiddly job but got there in the end and all is now working as it should. If it ever goes again I now know how to repair or replace it :)
Dash Board Vent Repair - Jaguar F-Type.pdf
(1.5 MiB) Downloaded 1658 times

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

9.JPG

10.JPG

2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid

Lunar

Post by Lunar »

It’s a satisfying job isn’t it.
Unfortunately I found mine only lasted a few weeks before it played up again so ended up getting it replaced under warranty by my Indy having “forgotten” to carry out the JLR sw update first, so no potential issues with exhaust noise being attenuated.
Fingers crossed it works longer for you - 2 years younger car so may do.
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

It really is a satisfying job :)

Shame yours only lasted for a few weeks before the issue reoccurred.

I ensured all the internal pivoting points were sanded down to the point that they were very free before lubricating and refitting them, so hopefully my repair will last.......If it doesn’t I can always do the job again or I’ll buy a new centre vent and fit it myself.

Cheers
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
Tel

Post by Tel »

Nice write up and good info there - Thank you.
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Tel wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:03 pm Nice write up and good info there - Thank you.

👍
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
ejhughes.15

Post by ejhughes.15 »

Thank-you very much for the very helpful post and photos. It gave me the courage to replace the vent myself. I must admit I decided to replace the vent with a new one not wanting to take the chance of having removed the old one, carried out the repair described and then replacing only to find I needed to do it again!

So I have just completed this job on my 2017 car.

One thing I did not have to do was remove the speaker to get the vent out as shown in the photos?! Not sure why my car is different?

As described once you have carefully taken both the front cover and the plastic speaker cover off - I used a small flat plastic scraper - you just remove the 4 torx screws (size t20) that hold the vent around the speaker and also the two at the front of the vent under the front cover. I found trying to pull the vent out a little tricky until the hinge cover popped up at the back.

Also for others attempting this exercise for the first time. You transfer the vent cover itself (note: not the speaker cover which you have to remove to get to the 4 torx screws) to the new vent from the old vent only once the vent is removed as when you turn it over there is another 4 torx screws underneath that need to be removed to take the cover off.

As you say re-installation is reverse and I found very straighforward.

Thanks again.
gf15

Post by gf15 »

I did this job about 12 months ago, still working a treat.
Once I had sanded and lubed all the friction points, you only needed about 20% of the effort to operate.
Great write up.
gf15 with 2015 v6s coupe. :mrgreen:
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

ejhughes.15 wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:25 pm Thank-you very much for the very helpful post and photos. It gave me the courage to replace the vent myself. I must admit I decided to replace the vent with a new one not wanting to take the chance of having removed the old one, carried out the repair described and then replacing only to find I needed to do it again!

So I have just completed this job on my 2017 car.

One thing I did not have to do was remove the speaker to get the vent out as shown in the photos?! Not sure why my car is different?

As described once you have carefully taken both the front cover and the plastic speaker cover off - I used a small flat plastic scraper - you just remove the 4 torx screws (size t20) that hold the vent around the speaker and also the two at the front of the vent under the front cover. I found trying to pull the vent out a little tricky until the hinge cover popped up at the back.

Also for others attempting this exercise for the first time. You transfer the vent cover itself (note: not the speaker cover which you have to remove to get to the 4 torx screws) to the new vent from the old vent only once the vent is removed as when you turn it over there is another 4 torx screws underneath that need to be removed to take the cover off.

As you say re-installation is reverse and I found very straighforward.

Thanks again.

Cheers 👍

Glad it gave you the courage to do the job yourself.

The centre vent on my car is still working perfectly since I repaired it :)

As you say, there’s no need to remove the speaker from behind the vent. My Jaguar sound system doesn’t have this (although the fitment is there for it). Cars which have the Surround Sound System (Meridian High Premium) include this speaker.

I carefully used Hilka plastic trim removal tools to lift the ‘S’ badged cover (located in front of my vents) and the vent speaker cover.

After removing the 6 torx screws (2 located beneath the 'S' badged cover and 4 beneath the speaker cover), I removed the vent rear hinge cover which has the solar sensor in it. This was a bit fiddly but made it easier to pull the complete vent out of the Fascia.

You've added some good info on transferring the centre vent top cover (not speaker cover) for those who are replacing the vent with a new one. There was no need for me to do this as I repaired the vent mechanism instead.
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
ejhughes.15

Post by ejhughes.15 »

I am keeping the old vent and plan to do the repair you described when time permits (another one of those jobs!?). That way if I have another problem with the vent I won't shell out the £218 for the genuine part rather replace with the repaired one.

Thank-you again.
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

gf15 wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:52 pm I did this job about 12 months ago, still working a treat.
Once I had sanded and lubed all the friction points, you only needed about 20% of the effort to operate.
Great write up.

Good to hear your centre vent is still working A-OK after repairing it 👍
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies