Kick down issues or is it me

Anything F-Type related......
Fatt55

Post by Fatt55 »

F type v6 380 chequered flag AWD .... new two weeks ago......MY2019.5

Hi this is my second V6 380, Firstly does kickdown work in both normal drive and dynamic mode because I find at times it does not work in dynamic mode but usually works reliably in drive mode so for example today I am in eight gear doing about just under 2000 revs I then wanted to overtake and press the throttle down quickly and nothing happened except very slow gradual acceleration as you would expect if the gears weren’t changing down I tried this again later just to see if I was doing something wrong sometimes it works.....sometimes not....I found this with both my vehicles so I am assuming I’m doing something wrong perhaps I’m not pressing down hard and quick enough so I thought Perhaps there’s a particular technique or are there times when the car just won’t down shift when hitting the throttle......”kick down”.....?

Am I supposed to feel some kind of button......Which I’ve heard mentioned on some threads usually relating to dynamic mode........ but my topic is about overtaking using the throttle rather than the paddles

Thanks

scm

Post by scm »

If I've been pootling about at low revs and then kickdown it takes several seconds for the gearbox to react, but I've never had it not (eventually) shift down several gears and take off like a scalded cat. You have to push the pedal all the way down, it doesn't have to be very quick. And I'm surprised it only does it in dynamic mode, the kickdown sensor should work equally well in all modes.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

From a MY18 owner. If your in 8th at 2000 rpm then the more throttle you press the more cogs it will downshift (more cogs and more aggressively in dynamic mode). Depending on how hard you stab the throttle and how far down you press, whether your in dynamic or not, or D or S, I would predict somewhere between 4th and 7th would be selected. With the peddle down 90% and just off the kickdown I would not expect it to labour in 8th at all. Doesn't seem quite right.

Although I don't like the kick down so alway drive in dynamic, gearbox in S and with paddles. Always.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black, pano roof and thats about it 8-)
Fez

Post by Fez »

It does not seem right, I always drive in auto as the box is cleverer than me. Kick down is nearly simultaneous, you do have to remember that it will select the lowest gear it safely can to ensure the cat goes like a cheater....
Black AWD 400, sport
MY 18.5
Pan Roof
Heated front screen
Front parking sensors
Full spare

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post