SOLVED! Whistle sound front drivers side - convertible.

Anything F-Type related......
Ots1

Post by Ots1 »

Hi,
Has anyone experienced a slight whistling sound from the front offside window / wing mirror area that can be heard in the cabin from 25+ mph.
I have the convertible for info.
This is with the windows up and roof up before anyone asks!

Any ideas or suggestions greatly appreciated.
Ta
Last edited by Ots1 on Mon May 10, 2021 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tel

Post by Tel »

Nope, but it's an easy 'ish fault to trace.

Grab a roll of insulating tape or something similar. Go round the general area taping over gaps and weatherseals etc.
Do one at a time, test drive, remove, do the next.
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
Ots1

Post by Ots1 »

Brilliant cracking idea. Ta!
Nick

Post by Nick »

Probably had the glass replaced under warranty for being scratched and they didn’t adjust it correctly on installing.
MY15 Coupe V8R Carbon Ceramic Brakes, 20" Anthracite Wheels Panoramic Roof, Meridian 770
Fez

Post by Fez »

I would of agree with Nick if you had a coupe, the rear quarter lights can whistle very loudly if not pulled in tight. However yours is a convertible so not convinced. I would look at your wing mirrors ensure they are clip together fully. Good luck with your search.
Black AWD 400, sport
MY 18.5
Pan Roof
Heated front screen
Front parking sensors
Full spare
Ots1

Post by Ots1 »

Right, the windscreen appears original with all the jaguar markings on and it looks sealed correctly all the way around.
I've added some photos of areas I could do with comparing against others for your opinions. The glass on the doors seems to be sealed well. What do you think to the black triangular bits on the wing mirror base? Out of alignment or normal?

Ta all...

20210408_151750.jpg

20210408_151714.jpg

20210408_151644.jpg

Ots1

Post by Ots1 »

Right.... I've located the whistling phenomenon!
Pulling the drivers wing mirror in stops the noise. Put it fully out again and it starts.

It looks as per the pic above so don't know if it's somehow mounted incorrectly.

It's so annoying. I can't find anything obviously wrong with the mirror assembly, like a piece of plastic sticking out for example.

Stumped.
Ots1

Post by Ots1 »

Right... looking under the mirror there is a small recess and a hole. However on the passenger side mirror this hole has a small rounded piece coming out of it. I noticed this morning finishing work so haven't had chance to tape over and see if that's the cause of my pain !

I've attached 2 photos I've found on the Internet of the hole in question, does anyone know what the hole is for ? I assumed drainage until I saw my nearside mirror had this rounded plug thing in it.

Cheers.

Screenshot_20210420-103634_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20210420-103730_eBay.jpg

Quiet man

Post by Quiet man »

Hi took a picture of my drivers side mirror for you to compare the black triangular piece, I have the convertible and don't have a problem, however mine are not powered to fold so don't no if that's any thing to do with it. The hole in the underside could it be for puddle lights perhaps.

IMG_20210419_153758.jpg

IMG_20210419_153804.jpg

White V6S, red interior. Black 20inch alloy wheels.
Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

Ots1 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:44 am Right... looking under the mirror there is a small recess and a hole. However on the passenger side mirror this hole has a small rounded piece coming out of it. I noticed this morning finishing work so haven't had chance to tape over and see if that's the cause of my pain !

I've attached 2 photos I've found on the Internet of the hole in question, does anyone know what the hole is for ? I assumed drainage until I saw my nearside mirror had this rounded plug thing in it.

Cheers.
Might be a red herring. My convertible with power mirrors is the same as yours, round plug in near side mirror, no plug in offside. I don’t notice any whistling although rarely have the roof up.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post