Time to walk away?

Anything F-Type related......
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

AJB2 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:29 am I think this car could be a prototype Manual transmission. A 64 registered in 2016 is exactly the same as mine which turned out to be one.
Correct. This is car 18703, what's yours again?

Majordog, your PM with details will be with you shortly. Just typing it up!
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black

Majordog

Post by Majordog »

Thanks so much simpleR!
AJB2

Post by AJB2 »

simpleR mine is 18042, apparently it’s the oldest surviving manual transmission? Can you tell me anymore about it please?
Majordog

Post by Majordog »

Ok so I’ve indeed had to walk away from the manual. There’s no fix in sight and it is now with engineering at JLR as the dealer has tried everything in conjunction with senior JLR technicians and nothing is working - it keeps blowing cameras day after day: I think this car is getting auctioned! Such a shame because I liked the idea of owning a manual prototype.

However, the alternative they’ve offered me on a good deal is a V6s instead of a V6, plus 20inch turbines, pano and meridian as well as performance seats in Ivory and the same exterior colour. Better service history, 20k miles and a year newer so have gone for that, although an auto.

Massive thanks to simpleR for help on the background etc.
scm

Post by scm »

Glad you've made a decision - I don't think you'll regret it! ;)
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
AJB2

Post by AJB2 »

Majordog wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:41 pm Ok so I’ve indeed had to walk away from the manual. There’s no fix in sight and it is now with engineering at JLR as the dealer has tried everything in conjunction with senior JLR technicians and nothing is working - it keeps blowing cameras day after day: I think this car is getting auctioned! Such a shame because I liked the idea of owning a manual prototype.

However, the alternative they’ve offered me on a good deal is a V6s instead of a V6, plus 20inch turbines, pano and meridian as well as performance seats in Ivory and the same exterior colour. Better service history, 20k miles and a year newer so have gone for that, although an auto.

Massive thanks to simpleR for help on the background etc.
What a pity 😔 If it was just the reversing camera giving the issue, could you have JLR fix it & then take delivery? Would you be kind enough to give me the registration number & where I could find it please?
dbv6s

Post by dbv6s »

shame about initial car but the V6S offered seems a much superior car (35% less miles & some pricey optional extras) - dealership was honest and kept you informed, thats more than can be said for most
I know you wanted a manual, but the auto box suits the car so well you wont miss it

Good luck with the new one!
Majordog

Post by Majordog »

I agree re the “better” car perhaps to drive and own if not perhaps for the longer term when the manuals might eventually be sort after or the prototype valuable - if this turns out to be a thing in the future (one question I have on the manuals is given they are few and far between why aren’t they more valuable to buy now?!)

As for the dealer I don’t think they can be faulted really. They were caught unawares by the car, my only complaint in the whole thing would be don’t put a car up for sale until you’ve had it up on the ramp and you know what you’re dealing with....because the expectation management of the customer is key on that point, having expected my car at various moments over the last three weeks it now looks like I’ll get a totally different one next Friday !!

AJB2 I’ll pm you the details....
Also once everything is tied up and done I think I’ll start a thread on dealer discounts because I’ve had some insight into that and it might be useful for potential buyers??
Backofthenet

Post by Backofthenet »

Majordog wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:37 pm I agree re the “better” car perhaps to drive and own if not perhaps for the longer term when the manuals might eventually be sort after or the prototype valuable - if this turns out to be a thing in the future (one question I have on the manuals is given they are few and far between why aren’t they more valuable to buy now?!)

As for the dealer I don’t think they can be faulted really. They were caught unawares by the car, my only complaint in the whole thing would be don’t put a car up for sale until you’ve had it up on the ramp and you know what you’re dealing with....because the expectation management of the customer is key on that point, having expected my car at various moments over the last three weeks it now looks like I’ll get a totally different one next Friday !!

AJB2 I’ll pm you the details....
Also once everything is tied up and done I think I’ll start a thread on dealer discounts because I’ve had some insight into that and it might be useful for potential buyers??
I might be wrong but it seems to me that none of the used / approved cars go through their "165" point inspection until actually sold - so you can't be sure what you are getting at point of deposit
scm

Post by scm »

Backofthenet wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:21 pm I might be wrong but it seems to me that none of the used / approved cars go through their "165" point inspection until actually sold ...
If then, judging by the situation some on here have experienced! ;)
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post