Going from V6 to P300

Anything F-Type related......
Bobster67

Post by Bobster67 »

Hello all, I am interested to know if anyone has made the move from V6 top the 4 cylinder variant.

Since selling my V6 I am considering a P300. The reviews are all good but would like to hear from those who have made the move.

Thanks

scm

Post by scm »

Best thing to do is test drive one - the P300 isn't a bad car, but it's not a V6.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
BLOOFTR

Post by BLOOFTR »

I hear the 4–pot isn’t a refined engine. Very harsh apparently.
MY2020 F-Type R-AWD in Ultra Blue.
scm

Post by scm »

I had a P300 loaner for a weekend - I din't find it harsh, but I did like getting back into my V8!
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Millwheel

Post by Millwheel »

I did exactly this and have no regrets. It's a different car. If you test drive it, don't bother with the motorway, find some twisty A roads and see if it works for you.

1) No heavy metal soundtrack, instead a rather muted, occasionally buzzy, roar but some pop and crackle remains. Much more discreet for challenging times and pesky neighbours.
2) Mostly smooth power delivery with the gearbox working harder than the V6 in Dynamic/Sport when pressed. Very slight turbo lag, wheel spin on bad road surfaces still likely.
3) Lacks the full kick in the back of the V6 but has ample thrust for driving on rotten English roads with terrible English drivers to manage. Might be different in other parts of our disintegrating Union.
4) Distinctly lighter front end and more nimble round the bends, I'd read the reviews before buying, they are right about the better balance and the flow through corners. Lovely.
5) Fuel consumption not a lot better than the V6, if that even matters. Might be my driving style... Bit surprised by this but it is lugging a lot of weight.
6) Still looks the canine cojones so what else matters.

I'm not sure if this is a plus or a minus, but my wife hated the V6 but loves the P300. (And she happily drove the V8 XK before this). It might be a little more androgynous.

Now I just want to get back into it! Roll on 12 April.
Parfect

Post by Parfect »

It depends what you are looking for in your next car - looks - performance - both
I’ve just switched the other way from having a P300 for 3 years to a V8 as I didn’t want to die wondering 😊.
The P300 is a nice car but I found it a bit muted after all the software updates. The turbo lag can be a pain at junctions. Dynamic and sport mode will get the exhaust working but you have to drive it hard and even then it’s not the sound you expect from a F-Type.
Fife Based 20MY V6 P380
Silver
powerhouse

Post by powerhouse »

I've my 2.0 nearly 3 years now and love it , I went from an 500 BHP xkr to it, manly due the way carbon taxes was going here in Ireland, did a test run in a previous owned V6 340 and the 2.0 is every bit as quick as car, better in the twisty stuff due the lighter engine. As for it being apparently harsh, load off sh*t , it a great engine, my is an R Dynamic model , so when engaged and in S mode its lively as you want, it's a great car, can't fault, I have a few things done to mine, like spacers , lowered, wider tyres , P7 grill, but best of all I have a straight through exhaust, cat back to two twin rear 4.5" tips which gives me plenty of noise pops and bangs. For me I love the car , engine , ride everything. No regrets.

119827374_247151673289397_6435124031407591892_n.jpg

119539051_676259262990807_5456394707731101911_n.jpg

fitted.jpg

Caledra Red 2018 2.0 R Dynamic
Black Pack
Project 7 Grill
Eibach Lowering Springs
Judd Model One 21" Rims
305/25/21 rears 265/30/21 fronts
Maxton design rear lip spoiler & rear diffuser splitters
Rear box delete, twin straight pipes fitted
Deleted User 3271

Post by Deleted User 3271 »

Hello Bobster

go for it I have a V6 F Coupe and I have test driven the 2.0 .. I was pleasantly surprised also I felt it had a little more torque and lower speed
I would be happy with one and as said I own a V6

all the best .. good luck with your decision
Dan_Veluwe

Post by Dan_Veluwe »

@Bobster67

I tried the V6, P300 and a V8, both Coupe and Cabrio. For me the cabrio was out once I learned vandalism isn't covered (NL) to the roof.
Before I already had my doubts due to noise level on the highway. We wanted to do long road trips and I knew the noise level would irritate me soon.

So the the 4/6/8 question. I really love the V8, but the performance is such I'd loose my license in a matter of months..

Then the 4/6 question. I quickly noticed the weight difference in the nose, since we live in a forested area with winding roads. So that put me off the V6.

But honestly, the CO2 taxation weighted in also. If I remember well, the price difference in CO2 tax only was around € 18.000. With the higher base price,

it came to 35k. So about a 50% increase over the P300. Given these facts, the P300 was a "no-brainer".

Reading the comments above put a grin on my face. I distinctly remember the ridicule I got from some owners of V6/V8, about 'inflation of the model' ,

and (supposed) lack of sound & performance.

Even with the D5 I acquired, the weight difference 4/6 is compelling. My D3 was a V6, but I think the centre of gravity of the engine was near or behind

the front axle. With the D5 the V6 is placed more forward, giving this "oiltanker" feel in the steering, noticeably even entering/leaving a roundabout !

So weight does matter, but you loose some sounds and some performance on the highway. It comes down to taste & preferences.

If I ever were to move to the USA, then I'd get a V8 since most roads go straight there anyway... :mrgreen:
Range Rover P400e autobiography Loire Blue (2019) :P
Mazda__MX30_RED___2021_ BEV
FT jag _P300 _Ultra Bleu, 2018 ___________SOLD :(
D5 lr__SD4__Corris Grey, Blck roof, 2018_SOLD :roll:
FP Jag – 25t _Loire Blue ,2020 ____________SOLD :|
Bobster67

Post by Bobster67 »

Hello all. Well I took the lung and bought the P300. A lovely low mileage chequered flag edition.

So far I am very happy with the car. As per the above comments and the many many YouTube videos i have consumed the car is not quite as fast as the V6 but is plenty quick. Unsurprisingly it does not make the same noise as the V6 but still sounds great considering it is only a 4 cylinder engine.

As for the handling, I’ve not had a chance to properly explore this yet but early indications are good.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post