Active Exhaust Question

Anything F-Type related......
DaddyDarren

Post by DaddyDarren »

Tewy wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:33 pm
Tewy wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:32 pm I have faulty exhaust valves on my 2016 3.0 V6 manual and my local garage have just lubricated the valve shafts. I am not convinced this is a long term solution so I asked the garage to contact Jaguar to get authorisation to fit a backbox if their fix does not work. Their answer was it is not covered. DMG say the part number for the box has changed 3 times and the latest is T2R47477 so does anyone know if the changes are due to valve issues. DMG price for exhaust is £1790. I had a brace strut issue and had a great battle with Jaguar to get them fixed under warranty so I am aware of what is to come to get this problem sorted. It would help if I knew there had been mods made to the exhaust
Can anyone answer the part number query

Had my switchable rear silencer replaced in 2018 by Inchcape Jaguar Derby.

Supplied part number was T2R18511
White 2014 V6 Coupe
OEM P7 Grill
VAP Lowering Springs
VAP 200 Cell Cats & Downpipes
VAP Pulley & Stage II 453 BHP Remap
Vorsteiner 21” V-FF 103 Alloys
PB Brakes 8/6 Pot Drilled Big Brake Kit

Tewy

Post by Tewy »

How old was your car when you had it done?
F type 3.0 V6 supercharged manual, Honda CRV, Jaguar XJ-SC manual 3.6
DaddyDarren

Post by DaddyDarren »

Tewy wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:28 pm How old was your car when you had it done?
3 years old with 8k miles. Few seconds after starting I’d hear this metallic grating noise. Would only last a second. Thought it was a quirk of the car. Eventually began to think something not right. Jaguar Used Approved didn’t cover exhaust so purchased new one.
White 2014 V6 Coupe
OEM P7 Grill
VAP Lowering Springs
DaddyDarren

Post by DaddyDarren »

Just read your PM. Exhaust not covered by warranty, even though I think it’d seized when purchased. How could I prove? My fault for not highlighting at buying time. Can’t be bothered arguing the toss so paid for new one. Spot on now 👍

Now always advise potential owners to listen for tell-tale metallic grating noise upon starting. Additionally, with a working active exhaust, there’s a noticeable change in tone, when cold starting, after pressing loud button.
White 2014 V6 Coupe
OEM P7 Grill
VAP Lowering Springs
scm

Post by scm »

DaddyDarren wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:24 pmAdditionally, with a working active exhaust, there’s a noticeable change in tone, when cold starting, after pressing loud button.
Er, that depends on the revs and the MY - my MY18 V8 doesn't open the valves in non-dynamic mode below 1500 rpm. At tickover dynamic mode opens 'em up nicely ... And maybe V6 vs V8 differences come into play, too.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Tewy

Post by Tewy »

DaddyDarren wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:24 pm Just read your PM. Exhaust not covered by warranty, even though I think it’d seized when purchased. How could I prove? My fault for not highlighting at buying time. Can’t be bothered arguing the toss so paid for new one. Spot on now 👍

Now always advise potential owners to listen for tell-tale metallic grating noise upon starting. Additionally, with a working active exhaust, there’s a noticeable change in tone, when cold starting, after pressing loud button.
Just had approval to have a backbox to be fitted. All I did was to do a quick research on the subject and produce examples of F Type owners that have been successful in having the job completed under the warranty. I have experienced difficulties with the JLR process, but thankfully they accepted that the active exhaust valve issue is different from a standard exhaust problem. I now feel more positive about having a warranty cover with JLR.
F type 3.0 V6 supercharged manual, Honda CRV, Jaguar XJ-SC manual 3.6
DaddyDarren

Post by DaddyDarren »

That’s great news. You really will notice the difference 👍

Some main dealers aren’t the devil incarnate that others suggest. I had two issues under warranty, rear diff & rear subframe, both replaced with no quibble.
White 2014 V6 Coupe
OEM P7 Grill
VAP Lowering Springs
bb_sam

Post by bb_sam »

Tewy wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:19 pm Just had approval to have a backbox to be fitted. All I did was to do a quick research on the subject and produce examples of F Type owners that have been successful in having the job completed under the warranty. I have experienced difficulties with the JLR process, but thankfully they accepted that the active exhaust valve issue is different from a standard exhaust problem. I now feel more positive about having a warranty cover with JLR.
Hey Tewy,

I think I may have this same issue that you had. This may be my second time with the same muffler issue on two different 2018's too.

Long story short, I had a 2018 F-type 6MT R-Dynamic and sold it to upgrade to an R. Before selling it, I noticed the sound of the exhaust was not as musical as it normally was. The dealership found that an actuator arm was rusted, thereby preventing the valve from switching to sport mode. The dealership replaced the muffler with the same part number you quoted above T2R47477 under the main factory warranty.

Fast forward a year later - and I missed the manual transmission, so I sold the R and got a new (to me) 2018 6MT. This new car's original factory warranty just expired (May 31, 2021) but it has a CPO dealership extended warranty. I didn't buy the car from a dealership, so I've just inherited the CPO as the new owner of the car.

The exhaust on this latest 2018 6MT sounds flat -- literally no difference between the active exhaust and the regular mode. It's on this basis that I fear the same issue as I had before has happened to this car too. I know exactly how to trigger the pops/crackles -- letting up at 3,000 RPM - but instead of pops and crackles, I get an almost flat sounding popping (if anything, the sound is just muffled). My plan is to go to the same dealership I went to with my last 2018 that had the muffler replaced under warranty. Maybe that'll help my case in proving some type of pattern/issue with the mufflers (???)

Is there anything you said to your dealership to trigger the warranty coverage versus them just excluding it since it's part of the "exhaust"? Perhaps they'll throw some 'goodwill' my way because I'm literally only 2.5 months outside the main factory warranty. The car also only has 11,000 miles on it so to have that valve fail at such a low mileage seems totally unfair.
Glaf

Post by Glaf »

Mr.Tea wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:46 pm Hi everyone. I'm in the process of buying myself a 2016 F-type. Test drive is next friday now that the lockdown has been slackened.

I have a question in regards to the exhaust; The car i'm looking at buying doesn't have the switch for the active exhaust sadly (why they wouldn't add it I have no idea) but my understanding is that all of the cars have an active exhaust system fitted which is activated by using the Dynamic Mode if the switch purely for the exhaust isn't there.

Is this correct? Do all the cars have an active exhaust fitted but the switch was an optional extra only on the base F-type? The listing for the car only says "twin exhaust pipe" with no mention of an active exhaust however i've seen listings for the exact same car and it does have the active exhaust listed with no switch installed.

Very strange.

On my car Dynamic Mode also opens the Active Sports Exhaust, I rarely use the active exhaust switch… ;)
V6 Coupe, 2015, white with black pack, panoramic roof, 20" black Cylones, red callipers. 8-)
TVR Griffith 4.3, 1992, owned for 5 wonderful years.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post